It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Monsanto Protection Act' to grant biotech industry total immunity over GM crops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
NaturalNews.com

Ok, so last week I made a thread,
The 'Monsanto Rider': Are Biotech Companies About to Gain Immunity from Federal Law?

It was talking about a 'Rider' within the FY 2013 Agricultural Appropriations bill which,

would require – not just allow, but require - the Secretary of Agriculture to grant a temporary permit for the planting or cultivation of a genetically engineered crop, even if a federal court has ordered the planting be halted until an Environmental Impact Statement is completed. All the farmer or the biotech producer has to do is ask, and the questionable crops could be released into the environment where they could potentially contaminate conventional or organic crops and, ultimately, the nation’s food supply
- alternet

So, if you missed it, basically, there is a rider built into the Agricultural Appropriations bill which would allow Bio-tech companies, like Monsanto, Dow, Syngenta to get a permit to grow GM crops EVEN IF they have been ordered by a federal court to halt the planting pending a scientific study on the impact of the GM food! Its crazy! The checks and balances are being backdoored and loopholed so that these companies can continue to grow UNTESTED GM crops, even if a federal court decides that it needs more study!! Its just unbeleivable!!
*PS, yes this had been posted, by me, already, but I think it garnered little attention considering the impact these GM crops may have (There would be a reason why a federal court ruled to halt the planting/growing of these crops, yet a permit for the ag dept will supersede the courts decision)!! Its important and people need to know this! Please share these links with people you know!! Write your senator, congressman, governer, everyone!**

In other words, if the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is strong-armed into approving a new GM crop that is later legally challenged in court (which is basically what happened for GM sugar beets and GM alfalfa), the Secretary of Agriculture, under the provisions of the Kingston rider, will be required to approve the cultivation and sale of that crop anyway, even if a higher court has already ordered a moratorium on that crop.
- NaturalNews.com

Now, in addition to this rider, there is ANOTHER rider in a different bill!! regarding the 2012 Farm Bill,

Committee Farm Bill riders would destroy safeguards that protect farmers, environment from untested GMOs

Another serious food freedom threat exists in the House Agriculture Committee's discussion draft of the contentious 2012 Farm Bill, where Monsanto et al. have inserted key language, via corrupt legislators of course, that will dismantle existing federal law as it pertains to regulating GM crops, and replace it with a free-for-all system where biotech giants are basically free to grow and market whatever GMOs they please without resistance or legal challenge

and

"The provisions (Sections 10011, 10013 and 10014) would force the rushed commercialization of GE crops, create a backdoor approval for Dow's 'Agent Orange' corn and eliminate any meaningful review of the impacts of these novel crops" (www.huffingtonpost.com...).

These provisions would explicitly outlaw any review of the environmental or human impacts of GM crops under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Endangered Species Act (ESA), or any other environmental laws as well. Only the USDA would be allowed to review the safety of GM crops, and this review process would be so severely neutered that the USDA would essentially operate as a formal "rubber stamp" for approving the biotech industry's offerings.
- from NaturalNews

Here is the link to the Huffington Post article

The agricultural biotech industry -- well, let's call it what it really is: the chemical industry -- has gone on the offensive as never before with a set of slippery policy riders to the House Farm Bill. It's a new low even for an industry that has spent years and tens of millions of lobbying dollars trying to dismantle the basic safeguards that stand between a regulated, healthy food supply and the profit margins chemical industry executives pine for. If passed, these riders would undermine the few laws that are currently in place to protect farmers' rights, our health and our environment from the many adverse impacts of genetically engineered (GE) crops.

So there ya go.. Another use of Government (supposed to protect the people right? NOT allow big business to force their UNTESTED onto the public) to put riders that ALLOW Bio-tech to BYPASS checks and balances, federal orders from federal courts... they basically will have 'carte-blanche' to the food system...

Oh man.. I could go on and on about bio-techs, especially Monsanto... it makes my blood boil! For me, its the fact that IF they are going to be corrupt and allow these companies to basically write their own rules and force their GM foods into the public, then AT LEAST allow us to have a choice on whether to buy them or not, YET, do we have that choice?! NO.. and infact Monsanto and others have launched a website to tell you how stupid and

extreme
labelling GM foods is!

ATS- Monsanto Launches Massive Campaign to Stop GMO Labeling - Please read this thread! Not just to see the hypocracy and propaganda they spew regarding labelling GM foods, but to have more ammo when people you know say how good GM foods are... I've ran into many!

Again, freedom of choice is what I want. GM foods may have a place.. however, letting them enter the food chain UNTESTED, and then not mandating that they be labelled as GM is UNBELEIVABLE!!! Where is the freedom of choice?! Why won;t the government listen to the people?! 90% of Americans want GM foods to be labelled, yet the Bio-tech companies lobby and give millions of dollars to these corrupt politicians so that YOUR VOICE is silenced.. YOUR reps don;t care what you have to say! They just want their pockets lined with Gm dollars

Ok, gonna stop now before i give myself a stroke.....

Thoughts?!?!
edit on 7/16/2012 by Nspekta because: added link and ETA

join