It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's TOW

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

Originally posted by Ghoztface
Didn't the U.S.A. give them similar technology to this when they were at war with Russia?

You know I don't think that Russia/U.S.S.R. has ever been at war with Iran, as Persian said. I'm assuming you mean Iraq, but by then I think we had already had diplomatic problems with Iran. Could you please explain what you mean.

I dont know about war but the USSR and Iran couldnt have been the best of buddies when the Iranian Shah aws cozing upto the US!

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Well Kenshin if you want to know were the technology came from find out who originally made the TOW, to save you some trouble I'm pretty sure its the USA. But I can see that this could be a nice weapon for Iran. I like the interchangable guidence system idea. No offense but I'm slightly skeptical about whether or not Iran is actually producing these. Was it just me or weren't TOW's vehicle or helicopter mounted?

The US supplied TOW missiles to the Iranians in the Iran-Contra deal.

TOW is vehicle mounted, helicopter mounted, and useable by infantry.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
just a reminder to our Israeli friends that Iran is not Gaza strip and Iranians are not Arabs. We wont be throwing rocks at them in case they come into Iran visinting us.

shalom,

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The Dragon was shoulder fired the TOW is too big.

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
My friend was trained in anti-tank weapons in the Marines and he did not like the TOW shoulder fired weapons. A tank can see the flash one of those makes and put a round on target while you are still controlling it.

He said the fire and forget weapons like the Javelin were much better.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apollyon

My friend was trained in anti-tank weapons in the Marines and he did not like the TOW shoulder fired weapons. A tank can see the flash one of those makes and put a round on target while you are still controlling it.

TOW requires a tripod to be used by infantry. Dragon is supposed to be used with a bipod.

Javelin is waaay better than either of them.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
you can shoulder fire a Dragon the TOW while technically man portable weighs like 175lbs and is ridiculously bulky ..we had to take one through a terrain apprecation course when I was in the corps. It was double plus unfun.

Originally posted by taibunsuu

TOW requires a tripod to be used by infantry. Dragon is supposed to be used with a bipod.

Javelin is waaay better than either of them.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghoztface
Didn't the U.S.A. give them similar technology to this when they were at war with Russia?

Your thinking of afganistan, and we gave them stingers to shoot down soviet attack copters, and planes. Which sadley the islamic terrorists are now are using against us.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Im not sure exactly what model of wire guide missile he was talking about. He just said he didnt like the wire guided missiles he never said what exact type. Firing those types of weapons was the infantry role he was trained for I think.

He did say he like the javelin the best though. He said they cost something like $70,000 a piece.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well, as y'all remember from Gulf War 1, the Marines went straight up into Kuwait as the assault force while the Army swung around.

They met Republican Guard Division of tanks at Kuwait Int. Airport. The infantry annihilated the Iraqi armor with Dragon missiles.

Maybe Iraqis had never seen infantry assault an armored division before. That could be why they nicknamed the Marines 'Angels of Death.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
wow i must have been gone a while cause my account was deleted, anyways its nice to see my country treading along on the development of military considering its current economical and social state.

and if im not mistaken the name is "toophan, toofan" which translates as Storm, could be wrong or even Typhoon hehe.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join