It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmer Creates Memorial Meadow for his Wife/Plants Thousands of Oak Trees in Heart Shape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Love is... a heart-shaped wood: Devoted farmer creates memorial meadow to his late wife by planting thousands of oak trees

Farmer's Oak Tree Heart Shape

A devoted farmer created this touching heart-shaped meadow as a tribute to his late wife - by planting thousands of oak trees.

Dedicated Winston Howes, 70, spent a week carefully planting 6,000 oak saplings after his wife of 33 years Janet died suddenly 17 years ago.

He laid out the fledgling trees in a six-acre field but left a perfect heart shape in the middle - with the point facing in the direction of her childhood home.

The labour of love has now blossomed into a mature meadow - a peaceful oasis where Winston can sit and remember his wife of 33 years.

His meadow cannot be seen from the road and had remained a family secret until a hot air balloonist took this photograph from the air.

Proud Mr Howes said today: 'I came up with the idea of creating a heart in the clearing of the field after Janet died.

I thought it was a great idea - it was a flash on inspiration - and I planted several thousand oak trees.

'Once it was completed we put seat in the field, overlooking the hill near where she used to live. I sometimes go down there, just to sit and think about things. It is a lovely and lasting tribute to her which will be here for years.'

Standing out: The meadow of love featuring a heart for Mr Howes' late wife cuts a distinct figure among the rest of the fileds in the rolling Gloucestershire countryside
i.dailymail.co.uk...

Everlasting love: A farmer's touching tribute to his wife of 33 years who died suddenly 17 years ago. The trees were planted after the death and have grown into a meadow with heart in the middle
i.dailymail.co.uk...

Now this made my morning...it is the most sweetest thing that anyone can do. This is a true Valentine relationship that will go on forever in eternity.

edit on 13-7-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
A dedication of love. That made my day!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Bet she'd still complain if he forgot their anniversary!

join