It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens if China was able to obtain abiotic oil?What would it be it's geopolitical effect?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
What happens if China was able to obtain abiotic oil?

For those unfamiliar with abiotic oil here is an article

en.wikipedia.org...

I know the abiotic oil theory is hypothetical but this is a question that got into my mind after reading this book called the Emperor's Tomb. www.amazon.com...

The book is about how an ex US agent discovered that a Secret Chinese Brotherhood trying to find ways to learn more about abiotic oil while trying to rescue a friend. The Brotherhood wanted to use abiotic oil to make China independent of oil resources aand the book implies it would have total implications on Asian geopolitics.

Right now China is very dependent on oil for it's economic growth. That in turn can be a big problem. China is very dependent on the South China Sea for the transportation of oil. If the US Navy were to shut down the South China Sea route China would face really serious issues economically at home. But what if China were to able extract abiotic oil? What would be the economic and geopolitical effect? Since abiotic oil is supposedly unlimited if China were to wage war it wouldn't worry about the USN shutting down the South China Sea since they can make their own oil.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
And this is in the Aliens and UFO forum because.......?

Afraid you may have started this thread up in the wrong place.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Yeah sorry it was an accident

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It is in the wrong place. Nevertheless, if abiotic oil is real, it's real for everyone, not just China. it would explain a number of things, including old wells "filling up" again and the known reserves continuing to grow. It would mean no more "peak oil" propaganda and would take some of the pressure off.

Now I happen to believe Global Warming is a crock and I've got plenty of data to prove it, HOWEVER, burning carbon fuel still has its drawbacks, so even if abiotic oil is a reality, I don't think that is cause to not go to alternative forms of fuel, such as solar, that are not as polluting as oil is.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
If abiotic oil was obtainable who knows how many jobs or profits would be lost... Not only among the oil industry, but also for the military industrial complex, who generates profit by making weapons for war in oil-bearing countries, (war is extremely profitable- this is why there are so many wars) plus other spin offs...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
im more worried about what the americans would do with this oil rather than the chinese

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

In the other hand China would benefit because then they don't have to worry about hostile nations blocking their oil route(Strait of Malacca)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I am not sure exactly what your point is here, we do know how to synthesize fuel, regardless of how petroleum was formed originally it is still the same source we tap with our wells at this time.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

I am not sure exactly what your point is here, we do know how to synthesize fuel, regardless of how petroleum was formed originally it is still the same source we tap with our wells at this time.

The issue as I see it is that if oil is abiotic, then that means it isn't, or at least some of it isn't made of "dead dinosaurs"* but is intead a chemical reaction with no need to reference oceans of dead algae under pressure over millions of years. In fact, it may be a renewable resource. This throws the "Peak Oil" and scarcity arguments out the window. If true ( a big if) it means we're not running out of oil.

The good news is that the pressure is off.
The bad news is that the pressure is off.

The "geopolitical effect," would be a lessening of competition for a resource that is not increasingly rare, but is increasingly plentiful. If it is plentiful, there is no need to fight for it. Overall that would have to be a good thing.

But, of course, we don't know that. The prevelant theory for the source of oil is still dead dinosaurs. Unless someone can definitively prove that oil is abiotic, nothing is going to change. Abiotic oil is not politically correct. I was a geology minor, and no one wanted to even discuss abiotic oil.

This might be fodder for another thread because it doesn't directly answer the OP's question.

** Yes, yes, yes. I don't mean "dead dinosaurs" literally, but if oil companies can show dinosaurs coming out of your gas tank, surely we can have a little leeway here. It's a metaphor. Deal with it.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

This not exactly a "fodder" I made this thread just to wonder what do other people think of abiotic oil and it's geopolitical effect

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

abiotic oil theory is hypothetical

--- redundancy...

In any case the issues in China has no problem regarding oil itself, note that China has vast coal resources

Chinese direct coal liquefaction economics
Shenhua Group recently reported that their direct coal liquefaction process is competitive with oil prices above $60 per barrel. Previous reports have indicated an anticipated cost of production of less than $30 per barrel, based on a direct coal liquefaction process, and a coal mining cost of under $10/ton.
from Wikipedia

Oil is important due to the quality of energy it provides per mass and extraction effort but there are many alternatives. What we are witnessing now is the start of the downhill road after the world has reached peak oil. it is inevitable and it will be probably bloody.

In any case even if China got the secret of abiotic oil it all depended on the cost of production. Note that there are already very promising results from using algae and GMO bacteria for fuel oil.

The USA continued support of a corn based economy is one of thorns in most of these innovative techs, and who owns the corn fields ? The agro and military industry (that includes the energy sector due to the uranium cycle for weapons, and oil resource acquisitions) is the monster in control.

I'm truly fascinated by the success that China has been having in Africa, less scruples and a full purse goes a long way there, no opposition only expedites it. In any case China should have annexed Vietnam long ago as soon as the US got out (or at least created a puppet state, hopefully doing a better job than in North Korea)

The buzz about the South China Sea is more a statement of coming of age as a regional power. You should also note the previous efforts the US other regional aliened nations that should indeed fear China have made to contain Chinas interests in the region (economic markets and resource gathering).

top topics

join