It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealth App allows YOU to Secretly Record Police Officers: (Evenening the Playing Field!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

A civil rights group has released a new smartphone 'stealth' app which allows users to record video of police encounters without the officer's knowledge. Called the 'Police Tape', the app makes the phone act as if it is off when recording video displaying a blank screen and when audio is being recorded, the app automatically minimises and disappears.

'Police often videotape civilians and civilians have a constitutionally protected right to videotape police,' said Alexander Shalom of the ACLU to the Star Ledger. 'When people know they're being watched, they tend to behave well.'

a85JsJZsdIM

Last month the New York Civil Liverties Union launched a similar smartphone app called 'Stop and Frisk Watch' to counteract what it feels are controversial practices by the New York Police Department. The signature feature of the 'Police Tape' app is the instant uploading of any recorded content automatically to the ACLU server

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Yes, the video is a bit corny but... the concept is excellent. What is better than BOTH sides having a recording. With all of the recent abuses of Police Officers across the USA in recent years, Thank God someone is doing something to protect.. you and me.

The one problem I have is the ACLU but.... sometimes one must compromise to achieve the goal-this being PROPER police actions when interacting with citizens.

The Days of believing a Law Enforcement Officers based soley on their testimony is coming to a quick close. And, they brought it on themselves. Just search ATS for police brutality threads and you'll see.

Getting your butt kicked in by police, yea I got an app for that....

I wonder what would have been the official story of the Rodney King case had not the videotape been made and released?
edit on 7/6/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
you still have to turn on the app, and quickly too in some situations, like a traffic stop.

and secretly fumbling around with a device out of site of a police officer while he approaches your car could get you shot.

it's better to man up and say you are going to record the conversation as evidence in any possible court case and not to take it as anything more than that.

if you want to the police to act professionally with you, you have to also take the measure to not make it personal and treat the situation professionally too.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Here in michigan the state police allegedly unconstitutionally search everyones phone at every traffic stop. Theyd catch ya! I dont have car insurance so i cant find out (civil disobedience, no one understands but im not giving away 300 bucks a month to the bankers for free)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I remember awhile back cops were trying out helmets with police cameras on them. I guess that never really took off... i wonder why

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSandman
reply to post by anon72

I remember awhile back cops were trying out helmets with police cameras on them. I guess that never really took off... i wonder why

I saw a cop show a while back, i think it may hvae been called police pov. They used shades with a camera on them.....was pretty cool

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Yes, cool tech...

Until it is used against you.

Maybe we should sent our cops to the Afgan War and let them work out any aggression over there.

new topics

top topics

join