It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New World Bank Head Appointed: He is not a Banker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The World Bank has a new chief:

The new head of the World Bank said on Monday he was willing to let the global development lender advise troubled developed nations like Greece, a major shift for an institution that has focused on the world's poorest.

While Jim Yong Kim emphasized that his top priority would be to protect developing nations at a "pivotal moment" for a world economy that is losing steam rapidly, he said the bank could also deploy its technical know-how to help richer nations with structural problems.

"We only go into countries when asked, but I feel the kind of expertise we have could be relevant in many, many countries in the world, including high-income countries," the Korean-born American told reporters on his first day on the job.

Get a load of this:

Unlike previous heads of the World Bank, Kim is not a politician, banker or career diplomat. Instead, his life work has focused on bringing healthcare to the poor, whether fighting tuberculosis in Haiti and Peru or tackling HIV/AIDS in Russian prisons.

Addressing critics who see his lack of economics training as a weakness, Kim said he had worked in development throughout his career and has extensive experience working with the World Bank tackling difficult problems in poor countries

uk.reuters.com...

I really don't get it. How on Earth did this guy get appointed? Do people 'apply' for jobs as high profile as this, or do they just get asked by their buddies? Is he a scapegoat for when economic catastrophy hits?

BIZARRE!

He directed the HIV/AIDS effort at the WHO, and he is a former president of Dartmouth College.

edit on 3-7-2012 by chemistry because: clarity

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Yup hew will be the goat when it all goes down for the count.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

he a scapegoat for when economic catastrophy hits?

Thatd be funny if thats what he is, sucks to be him, still kind of funny and obvious if something does happen under his watch.

"Kim what happen?"

"I don't know im not an economist."

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Sounds like they wanted a fresh face that had nothing to do with the "evil banking" sector. Very noble all the things he was doing (is it?) in some people's eyes anyhow. Anything in medical trumps banking in the emotional/caring factor.

Sounds like the bank wanted a new figurehead to help their image?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by chemistry

I really don't get it. How on Earth did this guy get appointed? Do people 'apply' for jobs as high profile as this, or do they just get asked by their buddies? Is he a scapegoat for when economic catastrophy hits?

If I remember correctly it was Obama himself that first suggested Kim to the post. Kim was the President of some college.. hmm, let me get a source to add.

Here we go, it was Dartmouth College and it was Obama's nomination.
source
edit on 3-7-2012 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassey222

Originally posted by chemistry

If I remember correctly it was Obama himself that first suggested Kim to the post. Kim was the President of some college.. hmm, let me get a source to add.

Here we go, it was Dartmouth College and it was Obama's nomination.
source
edit on 3-7-2012 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

Seeing how Obama was the first to suggest Kim for this position and how Kim has worked to bring Heathcare to the poor... It seems pretty clear to me... Obama wants Kim to make a world-wide Healthcare "mandate" that will come from each bank transaction where the money will be secretly deposited into our Nation's deficit, thus decreasing the deficit!!!!!

But, in all reality, even though Kim is not a politician or a banker, there are definitely major political ties behind him obtaining this high position. The scapegoat theory sounds plausible to me.
edit on 7/3/12 by SmoothRhythm because: Grammatical errors

edit on 7/3/12 by SmoothRhythm because: Addition of the laughing smiley face

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SmoothRhythm

Be this the year of the goat ? Maybe ? Didn't really have anything to add, so I thought I would toss it out there.

You should see the boomerangs that come back sometimes !

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Aha! Now I get it!

When Romney is in power, and the world economy goes haywire (due partly to events at the World Bank - I hate that name 'World Bank' by the way), Romney can simply blame it all on the previous Obama administration. After all, it was Obama who put the new World Bank chief in position in the first place, right?

It all seems so clear now. This is the kind of puppet show we see repeated the world over. Same agenda, different mask on the same face.

edit on 3-7-2012 by chemistry because: grammar

top topics

join