It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV a way to remain without senses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
That television a tool to control the masses is a reality.

That television is a means to control your senses is also true.

And everything is made ​​directly or indirectly through subliminal messages.

But to remain without some of the senses for watching TV too much it is also a reality.

First that is affected is peripheral vision.

Yes there are people who watch television for hours without pursuing other activities,and if you smoke or eat while watching TV then.....in time for sure some of the senses will be affected,but you will never realize the real cause.

Having one's orienting response thrown into overdrive for 35 hours a week doesn't come without a cost. Epidemiological data from the massive Nurses Health Study showed that watching television increases your risk of diabetes and obesity even more than other sedentary pursuits
www.elle.com...

And we know what diabetes is doing.

TV is also a way to dull.

Gesture to change without a target the programs is the first sign of loosing contact with reality,you may say that during this process you were thinking to current personal problems.

But actually this is an automatic gesture that people are doing without realizing that.

The question is they are really thinking during this process or the brain enters in a form of stasis,which can lead to psychological problems on long term.

Television Addiction Is No Mere Metaphor," which kicked off the whole debate about whether the boob tube should be treated like a controlled substance. "Psychologists and psychiatrists formally define substance dependence as a disorder characterized by criteria that include spending a great deal of time using the substance," they write, "using it more often than one intends; thinking about reducing use or making repeated unsuccessful efforts to reduce use; giving up important social, family, or occupational activities to use it; and reporting withdrawal symptoms when one stops using it."
www.elle.com...

Not to mention the quality of programs...very low.

I know,is called TV addiction.

TV bombards us with "commercial advertisements and food cues"; and the quasi-sedated state in which TV puts the body and brain—you burn more calories sleeping). Couples with a set in the bedroom have 50 percent less sex than those without one, according to one Italian study. And using your free time for TV obviously leaves less for activities you might find more enriching, like talking to friends and family, developing a hobby, playing sports, or joining a political or community group.
www.elle.com...

And the number of viewers is increasing each year.Why?Because somehow this crisis keep the people in their houses more then before

Watching TV is the world's most popular pastime, and the latest Nielsen data shows that as of December 2009, Americans were watching more than ever before in history: 35 hours a week, to be precise. And, despite the economic downturn, we haven't stopped buying televisions. In fact, we reached a record high in January, with an average of 2.93 TVs per household.
www.elle.com...

What do you think is TV a way to remain without senses.?..or at least to alter them.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Agreed - unfortunately for me, my reliance on TV is not for personal entertainment, its so I can get a bloody sleep-in on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

The price you pay for having a 5 & 8 year old.

NB: I control the TV watching to a bare minimum with the kids - it promotes filth at every available opportunity.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Sorry this is slightly off subject, but would the TV brain-numbing pandemic also apply to those who work/play on PCs and MACs all day? (and I suppose you could then consider things such as tablets, smart phones etc)

I'm not being vindictive, just genuinely interested.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondoftheworld

It is hypnotizing. It gets me and my oldest son badly. I try not to watch, but if it is on, and we start to watch, we will not hear anything else going on in the room around us. People also get grouchy when their TV time is interrupted.

I hate it, and I am planning to get rid of mine.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Brad-H

Sorry this is slightly off subject, but would the TV brain-numbing pandemic also apply to those who work/play on PCs and MACs all day? (and I suppose you could then consider things such as tablets, smart phones etc)
That can be less harmful because is focusing to just one activity and in different environment.But can be very harmful when it is made in excess and especially for children.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Do yourself a favor and get rid of it.
At least cancel your cable network.
Save the money and get a membership at a gym or pool or something!
IMHO, there is nothing on TV worth watching.
Sure certain shows can be "addictive" but that's if you allow them to be.
Why get caught up in a false reality created to lull your mind and drive you to consume?
Break the habit!

It is of no use to anyone to sit aimlessly for hours and stare at a box.
No wonder it does so much damage to the human brain.
I despise seeing kids raised on so much television they don't know much else.
It's as if we've allowed the TV to raise an entire generation.
And we wonder why there's obesity and child development issues, etc.

But to the original post...isn't this common sense?
Just turn it off!

Or sell it and buy a bicycle or motorcycle...

(As the reader can tell, I am vehemently against cable "programming")

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I hate it, and I am planning to get rid of mine.
I already did that and it's much better,you do not even dream how better it is,first the mind is clear and I spend the evening in a very pleasant way in the middle of the nature.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

NB: I control the TV watching to a bare minimum with the kids - it promotes filth at every available opportunity.
If kids became TV addicted from small ages that can affect them for life when they grow up.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamondoftheworld

If kids became TV addicted from small ages that can affect them for life when they grow up.

There is research indicating a possible link between ADHD and overexposure to television.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hi,

I have not watched TV for years, unless it is on at family or friends and if it is I do as much talking as possible, esp' if it is one of those reality shows that people become addicted to. I read, write, train & prepare. Of course there is a small 21" screen in my front room but all that is hooked up to is a blue ray player for watching films, sometimes I will binge and buy a box set of a series i.e The Tudors, Walking Dead or Game Of Thrones and watch two episodes a night. Apart from that though the only other screen I look at is a computer when I am either on ATS, writing or keeping in touch with friends through email.

My Sons Mum (who I escaped muhohaha) allows my two and a half year old Son to sit and watch cartoons all day whilst she does her house work etc. My Son then has to sit through various soap operas that are shown over here in the UK, you'll of heard of them, Coronation Farm, Eastside St, etc ad lib. I am unable to take custody of my child or to play much of a part in his life as I suffer from PTSD amongst other mental health issues so am unable to do much. Every time I try to have a serious conversation with my x,x,x,x,x,x, partner about the damage TV does to a child's imagination and that she should encourage him to read, play with toys etc I am given the label 'you're nuts & paranoid'

TV has destroyed so much of family life I am sickened, no longer do families sit and play games, talk, read or go out much, they'd much prefer to be sat in a chair gazing in a fixated/doped up way at a screen, sometimes the size of their main wall. There are too many skills that TV has stolen from Society that only maybe 3% of the enlightened 5% on our site will be able to pass on. Gardening, sewing, cooking, story telling, hunting, fishing, the list I could write could be endless so yes in my eyes TV is evil.

The governments were supposed to have banned subliminal messaging years ago but it is still there today and is easily noticed by a trained eye, life these days is one big con and one big joke that us...the sheep, lemmings will be the butt of!!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by diamondoftheworld

There is research indicating a possible link between ADHD and overexposure to television.

Hi Smiley

I have just finished reading your thread about your little boy - I would suggest not reading into too much, at this stage, but certainly worthy of monitoring.

I am not afraid to say that I had a very similiar obsession at around the same age and only later grew out of it ( I was 7 - it lastest until I was 10) - make-up foundation was my thing - and mums shoes, the more pointy the better.

In my case - it was an apparent desire to garnish the same attention from my Father as he showed my Mother. There is more to it than that however that was the crux of it - my father worked away alot and was very strict with us (but never raised a hand to me - he was in the Royal NZ navy) - he was very affectionate to my mother at every opportunity - I was missing out.

Have added you as a friend, please keep me posted on the little fella as you deem appropriate.

edit on 3-7-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondoftheworld

Also agreed - I prefer to teach my children in the way of Ethics and not let some idiot on the box dictate how my children should view the world - this is very important to me.

When I am home the TV is rarely on - except those weekend mornings

Even then the parental lock is always active

Thanks for your input - its greatly appreciated.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yeah, TV is dull as day old ditch-water and stinks twice as bad.

Reality TV tells us what society expects of us should we wish to conform for an easy life, easily accessible documentaries sanitise the natural world while adding a semi-hypnotic voice-over by washed up 3rd class actors, and 'intervention' shows (including such crud as 'Cops') make us wary of what will happen to us should we decide not to conform after all. And don't even get me started on the party propaganda road show that is the mainstream news.

Seriously though, with all the DVD's available, not to mention the ripped from TV documentaries (including those that never made it to mainstream TV now that I think about it) floating around the web, why the heck would anyone even need a TV any more unless they had children or lacked an internet connection?

But hey, that's just my opinion, I'm all good for people to keep theirs if they like, I however did not.

top topics

join