It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natwest / RBS / Ulster Bank Hacked??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I have no evidence to support this theory, this is just pure speculation, but then again this is ATS & most of it is!!

With the banking system getting scrutinised in the UK even more in recent years, it is alarming that such a wide failure on the part of the aforementioned banks was allowed to take place.

For people that are not aware of the failures that apparently occured within the mentioned banks, then please see here. www.guardian.co.uk...

For such a large company to experiance such issues & for these issues to continue for the length of time that they have, not only that but the phone systems, internal systems, access to online systems. Literally everything within the banks was and still is down!

If you were to go into your local branch currently, they will not be able to tell you what your balance is, and you are restricted to £100 withdrawal!

Is it possible that the bank could have been targeted by hackers?

Would the bank make this knowledge public?

I dont think that they would, as this would drive customers and businesses in their droves to other banks as the confidence in them would have been decimated. Is it better for the bank to take loss on the amount of people who will genuinly leave after this debacle, or more expensive for them to take the hit if there were to admit that they have been hacked?

As I said, I have no evidence, but it is worth contemplating!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I really hope not since I bank with one of them.

Human stupidity seems to cause more technological upsets than hackers do.

Take Chernobyl for example.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It is very plauseble that it was hacked. As of today I know that Ulster bank has come out and said that they will no longer speculate as to when the problem will be fixed and the back-log cleared.
Now was it possably hacked from the inside on purpose like a captain would skuttle a ship? Maybe shananagans like what was going on in barkleys bank was going on there and before they got rumbled they skuttled the system?
All speculation of course but hey, you strarted it!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
After this went on for the third day, i began to suspect tthat someone had been doing a little bit of anarchic reconstruction with the system, with any luck they will dump a million pounds into every account and then make retrieval of the previous balances, unobtainable.
That would make 2012 for me.
(I don't bank with any of those banks).

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The X
After this went on for the third day, i began to suspect tthat someone had been doing a little bit of anarchic reconstruction with the system, with any luck they will dump a million pounds into every account and then make retrieval of the previous balances, unobtainable.
That would make 2012 for me.
(I don't bank with any of those banks).

although a nice idea, it is about as likely to happen as the Rothchild's giving up using money.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pigsy2400

And all institutions want to get away from paper money as it is "safer".
I believe safer from thousands of crooks leaving only access to a small group of crooks, we call them bankers...
I will keep my paper and coin, it cannot be hacked without bypassing my firewall....err firearm.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Apparently it was a Junior technician in India that deleted some vital computer code whilst performing routine maintenance, sounds plausible that a rookie mistake at a main server for these banks would cause the problems

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by pigsy2400

Is it possible that the bank could have been targeted by hackers?

It is VERY possible...

60 Million to 2 Billion Euro Stolen from 60+Bank Accounts

It has already been postulated that the multi-day system malfunction at the Royal Bank of Scotland has been caused by this hacking spree. I doubt they will admit it though, they are probably trying to shuffle money around to account for some of their losses.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I thought that as well (some rookey in India screw up).

then I found this story stating that the technical fault was in Edinburgh and not India.

link here

edit on 2/7/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

yeah just had a look at that site, its very unlikely that some flunky pressed "send" rather than "ctrl" and screwed the system. is there not a reset or undo button? Or at the very least a flashin"ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS" warning.
if you get a chance listen to the steven nolan show (bbc iplayer radio ulster), broadcasting today from ulster banks main headquarters in Belfast. Lots of people complaining that the media is ignoring them. no surprises there. One business claiming that 50,000 pounds has disappeared.

top topics

join