It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge offers choice of 13 yr old's ponytail cut off to reduce sentence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

A Utah mother has filed a formal complaint against a juvenile court judge who told her he would reduce her daughter's sentence if she cuts off her ponytail in court.

Bruno's 13 year old daughter and her 11 year old friend were referred to the 7th District Juvenile Court for cutting off the hair of a 3 year old in March and harassing another girl by telephone.

The 13 year old was ordered to serve 30 days in detention and perform 276 hours of community service before Judge Johansen offered to reduce the community sentence by 150 hours if Bruno cuts off her daughter's hair in court. Apparently, Bruno had taken up on the offer but now regrets the decision, saying she wishes she had consulted a lawyer before entering the courtroom.

"I guess I should have went into the courtroom knowing my rights because I felt very intimidated... An eye for an eye, that's not how you teach kids right from wrong."

Speaking about the 13 year old's case, Turley said: "I fail to see how the court reducing itself to the level of a 13 year old teaches a moral let alone legal lesson. The court was doing precisely what the 13 year old did to a child."

global.christianpost.com...

The mother made the decision to cut her ponytail so her daughter's community service hours would be cut. I don't think she should be filing a formal complaint, as it was her choice.

A part of me says the girl got what she deserved, although the community service hours would have been suitable too in my opinion.

edit on 1-7-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It's a good lesson, I don't see how people could blow this out of proportion.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

It has already been posted here.....

Above Top Secret

Feel free to join on in!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

It has already been posted here.....

Above Top Secret

Feel free to join on in!

Sorry about that

Feel free to close the thread.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

No worries, I am not a MOD, but just thought I would politely let you know!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ssupp
It's a good lesson, I don't see how people could blow this out of proportion.

How is this a lesson? What does it teach her? Does it make her understand what she did? No all it does is SCARE her into not braking the laws. It insinuates that the federal Government is all powerful. Imagine a 13 year old girl having to walk around with short hair that the Government basically made her cut. Some where in the back of her head shes going to think the Government can get away with any thing. What if she is introduced to Government conspiracy some time latter in her life? Will she turn away from it because she is afraid of the Government?

top topics

join