It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open call for ideas on future debates

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

I LOVE each of the debates you mentioned! Yes! Very cool ideas.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

I will gladly take you on with myself holding the "pro" on ET Presence. Let me know...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I'd like to present a new topic, "There is no extra-terrestrial intelligent life in the universe, save the planet Earth." I'll offer an open challenge. I'll take the pro position. I'll argue the point that there is no other intelligent lifeforms "out there", and that we are alone in the cosmos, and are a unique species with a tenacious lifespan. Anyone?

Perhaps you'd be interested in this challenge, given your pro-extraterrestrial stance.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

I will gladly take you on with myself holding the "pro" on ET Presence. Let me know...

No problem.
As a general newcomer to the debate forum, I just need to know details of how it all works, then we could get started anytime

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

To me that is such a sad one to even consider doing, but alas, a reality none the less.

Ah in a word? NO!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Then with the permission of the Debate forum, we will do our best to bring an enjoyable and lively subject to life.

Looking forward to it.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Star for you, for declining my offer.

I would think to be at a disadvantage given my position. Perhaps another topic, on another day?

Humbly......

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I can appreciate your candor on this subject but let me reassure you. The topic is probably the most difficult anywhere and I am at as much of a loss as to the inner workings of all the formulas as you are.

I could just thread my concept and we could debate a different subject matter, it doesn't really matter to me either.

I will leave the decision up to you or The Vagabond on it as I am flexible either way. Maybe I shouldn't dive into something so deep on my first debate
but in all honesty I do believe science is wrong on FTL capability.

While Einstein has formulas backing it all up, he went to his deathbed searching for the theory of everything because he knew there was more and the quantum mechanic proponents shunned him for it thinking he had said all there was to know already.... there is jealousy and an ego thing at work when others see it as top dog prestige much like the fastest gun in the west was always being challenged. I believe what Einstein was looking for, the theory of everything, was something he couldn't find because he could never quantify it, namely inspiration.

That effect one object has on another that in turn affects another that in turn affects another. It is impossible to predict just like what we can inspire in others who can in turn inspire us again. I wasn't setting out to vilify Einstein but to vindicate him.

At any rate, pick your poison and i'm game
I'll take either side of a subject

Your call or flip a coin or do a random, however you want to decide it is fine by me.

Sorry for the difficulty but at the time I wasn't considering just how in depth the debate could get with such deep and complex a subject matter. It literally is a subject that careers are made of. ... or broken by

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by anoncoholic

Well we could go with the pros and cons of FTL and interstellar travel and the impacts it could have on society, whether they would be beneficial for the people or just another tool of corporation and government corruption, and whether the costs involved would benefit or break society.

Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

That works for me too, which side do you want to represent? I'm ambidextrous on this so I could debate either side.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by anoncoholic

OK then, I'll debate con. I have another debate set up with another member, so I'll have to work out the details, don't want to go overloading myself just yet, so when TV comes back on I'll sort out the how and when of the debate and we'll get it rolling.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

sounds good. I will prepare at leisure so no hurry

Good luck on both

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Hey, why dont we girls do one. I would do universal health care con side of the argument, or Iran war con side of the argument.

What do you think? Or do you have a different topic in mind?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

5. The military installation known as Area 51 is not actually related to extra-terrestrials or extra-terrestrial craft.

I'm up for taking the Pro side on this, if anyone wants to take Con.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I am excited and nervous! Nothing good in my life ever comes to me without some butterflies though.

Been a while as I told you in private, and wrapping up the Independence day festivities and then house cleaning, we can start either over the weekend or first part of next week, your call.

I really want to do well in this one as it is a subject I would hate to drop the ball on.

To me this is a very important debate. Best of luck to both sides.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I'd like to formally present a new topic, "There is no extra-terrestrial intelligent life in the universe, save the planet Earth." I'll offer an open challenge. I'll take the pro position.

I'll argue the point that there is no other intelligent lifeforms "out there", and that we are alone in the cosmos, and are a unique species with a limited lifespan. Yes, I am the skeptic at heart.

Anyone?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Well, taking the con position on that one will be challenging, but I did a bit of research since you've posted your challenge, so I accept.

Since you are pro, you pretty much have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Official debates on ATS always were fun to take part in. I seriously do urge everyone of you reading this thread to give them a go at one point or another, whether It's a topic you agree with or one you actually massively disagree with. Either way It's still always somehow a great deal of fun. Just give it a try and see what happens.

Personally though, I've got no time to take part anymore, at least right now anyway. Real life is just too busy unfortunately. If anyone wants to organize a debate with me for sometime in the future though, just send a PM.

edit on 4-7-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I for one would like to see more activity in the debate forum, as it helps to hone critical thinking skills.

I'll decline to offer you a challenge for now
, but perhaps sometime in the future? I've read your past debates, and you make a very good opponent.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

but perhaps sometime in the future?

A debate with someone I genuinely admire and respect? Let's make it happen sometime.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join