It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to block firearms related "shopping" results under new policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Google is a private company and it's their right to do so.

Just an FYI about Google censoring results and the companies apparent "values" pushing.

Google Shopping Ploicy

Based on a review of the products you’re currently submitting, it appears that some of the content in your Merchant Center account, XXXXXXX, will be affected by these policy changes. In particular we found that your products may violate the following policies:

Weapons

When we make this change, Google will disapprove all of the products identified as being in violation of policies. We ask that you make any necessary changes to your feeds and/or site to comply, so that your products can continue to appear on Google Shopping.

To help you through this new set of policies and how to comply with them, we would like to give you some specific suggestions regarding the changes needed to keep your offers running on Google Shopping.

Weapons
As highlighted on our new policy page www.google.com... in order to comply with the Google Shopping policies you need to comply first with the AdWords policies www.google.com... We do not allow the promotion or sale of weapons and any related products such as ammunitions or accessory kits on Google Shopping. In order to comply with our new policies, please remove any weapon-related products from your data feed and then re-submit your feed in the Merchant Center. For more information on this policy please visit www.google.com...
link

A Google Shopping search for the term "firearms" brings up nothing today whereas just a little while ago it brought up local results and online retailers like Buds and Century Arms.
edit on 28-6-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

This is only for google shopping NOT for all google searches as thread title suggests.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

This is only for google shopping NOT for all google searches as thread title suggests.

The title says "shopping results" chief.

I made sure to mention it's Google "shopping" results several times.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Ammo results are dying right now in real time.

When I posted this thread I could still get shopping results for "9mm" and "5.56". Now I can only get a single result for "5.56"

I used to use Google Shopping to find ammo deals until I stumbled upon gun-deals.com and ammoengine.com.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Omg I can't Froogle for my 7.62mm FMJ rounds no longer !! How am I going to find .50 cal tungsten tipped AP bullets now ever again for a good price ?! Our all freedom is in imminent danger !!

Seriously though, there are things the rest of the world outside of the US of A does not need.

Googling for Weapons and ammunition is one such thing.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Don't worry, what they are doing is stifling their competition. If you look close, you'll see this little message:

Google Shopping is becoming a commercial site.

They are not banning the ability to search for weapons, they are getting ready to launch their own store so you buy guns from them and nobody else.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by chaakin

The description of the commercial changeover is one of "pay for adspace/placement" not one of Goolge itself selling product.

And this new "weapons" policy is directly related to the changeover. This is part of the "We’re giving merchants a few months to transition to this new model, and we’re also offering some incentives:" line.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
They can choose to sell or not sell whatever they want. They are a private corporation.

edit on 28-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
Omg I can't Froogle for my 7.62mm FMJ rounds no longer !! How am I going to find .50 cal tungsten tipped AP bullets now ever again for a good price ?! Our all freedom is in imminent danger !!

Seriously though, there are things the rest of the world outside of the US of A does not need.

Googling for Weapons and ammunition is one such thing.

I dont think you see the broader implications of this change.
This is a blatant example of SOCIAL ENGINEERING!
The results of the current trend in subtle programming of the human race will be a gentler more malleable populace of zombies....Education, and advertising as well as other venues we frequent, are all being used to direct us in a CONCERTED FASHION.......
The Corporate,/ Goverment .......IS REALITY........
Is it driven by a central agenda? .......YOU BET !
Are scientific, well researched, and proven principals of psycho/social engineering being applied to the population of earth by some kind of centrally organised, well hidden group?.......Sad to say it is true......

The basic fact, once realised begins to explain many events of history.
There IS evidence in plenty before you........Bilderburg, CFR,RIFA,Fed. Reserve.
How, would anyone, acting in the interests of the American people, ever sign into being such a ridiculously
obvious swindle , as the Federal Reserve act.
Obviously this was a controlled, event, contrived by shadowy entities, whose already vast ressources allowed them access to the highest offices of goverment to pull off such a blatant robbery.......
Was it George Bush (W) that said, "If the people knew what we are doing they would chase us down the streets......" or close to that anways.....They openly now admit these things my friend.....wake up!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Who cares? I have never used the shopping part of Google anyway. I found it too limiting. I just use the regular search window. Now if they start to mess with that then people will just more to another serach engine.

Bt the way MSN Shopping still works. I just typed in 9mm firearm and got over 25,000 hits.

MSN shopping

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
aaaano problemo...the procerss is designed to be graduated enough to be totaly unnoticed by most people.....
Just keep the tale in mind as developements prove my theory 100%
Dont say you werent warned.and you got it from ats!

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

NOT Trolling! Howeer if you are looking for on line ammo, check out this post I have on my blog. 29 sites to buy ammo on line

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

The results of the current trend in subtle programming of the human race will be a gentler more malleable populace

So it's better for the human race to be barbaric and violent??? I will never understand the "thinking" of republicans.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The policy of removing items grows in other interesting ways....

Why Doesn't Google Shopping Return Any Results on Vitamins or Supplements?!?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I haven't used google for years, but the fact that they are limiting shopping search results to not include firearms, ammo, vitamins and supplements is quite disconcerting. I wonder what they'll remove next?

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I can tell you one thing, every one of their applications is always evolving. The search function is in a constant state of beta, it's NEVER done, do you get that? Everyone who uses their search function (or any of their products for that matter) is testing an incomplete app for free. You are doing all of their testing for them without pay and the T&C says they can change any of it at will.

Also all of their apps are intertwined to suck much of the same data and spread it to other "information" apps they create, and in effect self mines data. This place is trying to perfect the art of data mining but under the guise of sharing useful information. I will say there are useful apps they create that I use and enjoy, but the process and the motivation behind it is questionable. Sadly though, this isn't new or unique, and they aren't the only ones (or the worst) doing this.

The 2 main factors at the bottom line are money and legality, and legal just equals money, so simple subtraction gets you just MONEY. But again that is also nothing new, its simple capitolism.

You can guess where I work I'll bet since i dont even mention their evil name

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Commercial Infringement
of the Second Amendment

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You people REALLY need to stop using Google.

They are not the only search engine.

If you want to make a millions dollars in 6 months you could create a Search Engine for people who believe in the 2nd Amendment....you would end Google being a Corporation as everyone switched over to using YOU.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hi Pervius !

Originally posted by Pervius
You people REALLY need to stop using Google.

You are sooooooooooooo right ! ! !

What I use are:
us2.ixquick.com...
startpage.com...

the world's most private search engine
. . .does NOT collect or share ANY personal information!

Blue skies.

new topics

top topics

join