It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS and its Moderators

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
First of all I would like to apologize to the moderators on this site. I get so frustrated so many times, when I alert something that is against the T&Cs and I see it still up 1, 2 even 3 hours later. As a responsible member of ATS I help out the Mods when I see something against the T&Cs by way of the only way I can and that is the "Alert!" function, but it, a lot of times, takes forever to be addressed. Quite a few times I have had to file a second "Alert!" asking what the hold up is. I am apologizing to the Mods for this behavior due to the fact that I know exactly what the hold up is. You guys are doing a great job so keep on keeping on.

I am not the perfect member and am not trying to portray myself as such. In fact, my very first thread "Tesla discovered free energy, plans resurface and presented here for all." had 372 replies and 270 flags. I thought I was doing really well until the hammer came down which destroyed the thread. It was my own fault. I collect PLRs which are royalty free e-books and PDFs and I had the plans in the wrong file. I posted the information as my thread forgetting they were copyrighted and for sale for $45(or something to that effect). Due to this they were all removed leaving basically nothing in my OP(Double facepalm). Not to mention the "All Caps" warning.

Another time I posted in a thread, research I was doing for another one of my threads as a teaser. I neglected to quote and give sources thinking it would be okay because they would be included in my thread(The Global Banking System: Descensus in Cuniculi Cavum (Part 1, "Less Than Humble Beginnings")) which was not the case and I got the hammer again. I have had a few "Off Topic" posts including a picture I posted with a "naughty" word in it in the Post A Funny Pic, I'm Bored... thread and the Mod that removed it was nice enough to list it as off topic rather than hit me with an "Extreme Violation" for my oversight. So you see I am not the perfect member either, but I have learned from my mistakes.

Here's the problem, as I see it anyway. By the listing of Moderators, from SkepticOverloard and Springer(owners) to xpert11(forum moderator(listed only because they are last in alphabetical order)) there are 74 Moderators for this site(found on the forums page). Some people think this is too many Moderators, but I venture to think they are the members that consistently walk the thin line between acceptable and violations, but personally, I think this is a very low number in comparison to the posting numbers found on the "About ATS" page. To do the math with the latest numbers, in the past 7 day they have been 48,063 posts. I have seen an average of 7 or 8 Moderators on line at any given point in time(I have seen as many as 13 and as little as 0 but it does not happen often nor does it last long. Please keep in mind, these are people with their own lives that graciously volunteer their time to this site.)

So, taking 48,063 posts and dividing by 7 days we have an average of 6866.14 posts a day. Now lets assume that every post is seen by at least one Moderator through the rotation during the day and every moderator comes onto the site at least once a day(not likely but lets assume). Subtract an average of 3 moderators that spend most of their time in the chat room and reading its transcripts. You have 71 Moderators viewing 96.7 posts each and that is not posts also read by other Moderators. Now this is just time spent reading posts not participating in or creating threads, it would take all day to go through them and I think you are beginning to see that not every new post is seen.

This is where we, the members come in. We "Alert!" violation posts to the Moderators. Now they have to stop reading and go address the "Alert!" but it's not just one Moderator that is pulled away, it's at least 2 to make a decision. I have no idea as to the amount of "Alert!"s they receive during the day, but I guarantee it's not just a few, as I have had correspondence with a few moderators that spend most of their time "running around like chickens with their heads cut off" dealing with the "Alert!"s alone. Its a never ending, thankless job they CHOOSE to do for us, the Family that is ATS.

I personally think there needs to be more Moderators in order to help ease the responsibilities of the ones we currently have, especially since the numbers currently show an average of 64.14 new members daily. I asked for the qualifications of becoming a Moderator and volunteered my time as such. Unfortunately, the consensus of the threads I was directed to state that one of the qualifications for becoming a Moderator is not to ask to become a Moderator, so I guess that leaves me out. That's okay though I just wanted to help out and ease the burden.

If the upper echelon do not wish to add Moderators, it leaves it to us, the members, to do a few things...
    1. Learn and follow the rules.
    2. Help other members learn and follow the rules. If we see a violation, maybe send a POLITE note(u2u) to the offender explaining the violation and asking them to fix it.
    3. If we do "Alert!" be more understanding of the time it takes to fix the situation.(My biggest lesson)

There are probably more but I am not thinking of any, so feel free to add to this list in this thread.

The point is, we as members of the Family, should be more respectful and thankful for the jobs the Moderators do for us around here and help out as much as we can. Some of you may think this is a "brown nosing thread" and you are entitled to your opinion, but my true intent is to help members to understand what the Moderators go through day in and day out to make this a great site, to plead with the other members to help out when we can and to say 2 things to the Moderators.
    1. I apologize for my indiscretions and lack of patience.
    2. Thank you for doing a thankless job.

Thanks for reading and I will see you on the boards.

edit on 23-6-2012 by Agarta because: Fixed Spingers name Sorry about that.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The only time i've had a prob with a mod has either been a misunderstanding or the mod was having a bad day.

Cheers to the mods, this place would be (more) like an insane asylum with no staff if it wasn't for them.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

With all due respect, what ever happened to the powers of choice? Since when do you have to sit on a thread and report every little T&C violation. You rely on the establishment far too much. How do you expect to get by when this all goes the way of the dodo? Think you can just pull on someone's pantlegs and complain until the robbers go away? Here's a little point of advice for ya. Next time you see someone violating the T&C, do what I do. Ignore it. Use your freedom of choice while you still have it. Show a little self-initiative.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Or maybe the poster just said something you didn't like and you're taking it the wrong way and just using the rules to harass him or her.

An unpopular opinion doesn't mean trolling or breaking the rules.

Which is usually how people misuse the rules. Which is something the mods have to consider too.

The mods don't have to agree with you on anything.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
" Unfortunately, the consensus of the threads I was directed to state that one of the qualifications for becoming a Moderator is not to ask to become a Moderator"

Isn't that how the masons recruit?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

Sitting on a thread watching for violations was not my intent in any way shape or form. We all read through threads and replies. My intent is to help out when we do see a violation. I don't see ignoring a problem makes it go away nor do I see passing the buck to someone else to fix helping either. A lot of members forget that, as the numbers show, in a 7 day period there are about 1,075,020 guests reading from the outside. These guests come here for information and to learn. How do they see the way we treat each other? Maybe they come because we(ATS) are better than some of the others in the way we talk to each other. I realize it takes all kinds of people to make this World go around but if we can't learn to help each other and respect each other how is this world going to get any better? I am just suggesting starting here.

Edit to add: Thank you for your opinion.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Or maybe the poster just said something you didn't like and you're taking it the wrong way and just using the rules to harass him or her.

An unpopular opinion doesn't mean trolling or breaking the rules.

Which is usually how people misuse the rules. Which is something the mods have to consider too.

The mods don't have to agree with you on anything.

I do see this happening, you're right. This is why we all need to understand the T&Cs as written or ask. Some people tend to twist things to their advantage of seek loopholes to get what they want. This too is an issue we should discuss. Thank you for bringing it in.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
" Unfortunately, the consensus of the threads I was directed to state that one of the qualifications for becoming a Moderator is not to ask to become a Moderator"

Exactly the opposite. You must ask to become a Mason.

Re: the topic. One thing I've heard in the past is, "Let the moderators moderate." We who are not moderators do not get to deputize ourselves junior moderators. That's why you should probably think twice before sending an alert on a post. Only once that I remember has an alert of mine been ignored, but you know what? It was kind of a borderline case. I could see a moderator not agreeing, and if you're of a habit of alerting posts, I would think you could gain a reputation in moderator-land pretty quickly of being a busy body.

So I say let 'em run their site as they see fit and don;t worry about it. Enjoy it instead.

And it's "Springer" not 'Skinner.'

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Freezer

If you read the thread you will know I did not show my exact plans. The reason for this is the way I was attacked like you are doing now. I no longer have the set up due to moving nor will I give the plans due to the attacks and attitude I receive from it. BUT your reply should have been made in that thread as it is off topic in this one. Please reply in the appropriate thread according to the topic being discussed.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Was actualy said with a grin, but interesting, I'm in the uk and its general (public) belief that one must be asked to join.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by Agarta

With all due respect, what ever happened to the powers of choice? Since when do you have to sit on a thread and report every little T&C violation. You rely on the establishment far too much. How do you expect to get by when this all goes the way of the dodo? Think you can just pull on someone's pantlegs and complain until the robbers go away? Here's a little point of advice for ya. Next time you see someone violating the T&C, do what I do. Ignore it. Use your freedom of choice while you still have it. Show a little self-initiative.

You're "freedom of choice" is at the detriment of ATS.

This is a user generated content atmosphere, without you there is nothing, without you alerting T&C infractions, how are we to enforce it properly?

It's not about snitching or tattle talling, it's about everybody having agreed to follow the rules when they pressed the sign up button.

I think you should rethink your stance on alerts and be helpfull to this community as opposed to apathetic.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Re: the topic. One thing I've heard in the past is, "Let the moderators moderate." We who are not moderators do not get to deputize ourselves junior moderators. That's why you should probably think twice before sending an alert on a post. Only once that I remember has an alert of mine been ignored, but you know what? It was kind of a borderline case. I could see a moderator not agreeing, and if you're of a habit of alerting posts, I would think you could gain a reputation in moderator-land pretty quickly of being a busy body.

So I say let 'em run their site as they see fit and don;t worry about it. Enjoy it instead.

99% of my alerts are for off topic, nudity, or foul language most of the time if it is borderline I leave it alone and let others make the decision for themselves. In other words I only alert when it is an obvious violation. Some of the razors edge borderline I send a U2U to the member discussing it. I usually get an understanding of the thoughts of the member and a lot of the time I learn something in the process.

And it's "Springer" not 'Skinner.'
Thank you for pointing that out. I can't believe I made that mistake. It's fixed.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Did you happen to take an apple in for your teacher whilst at school ?
Will you be reporting me for a one line post ?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

I'm guessing that irrational sensationalism, which encompasses a large number of posts, are a big draw for new members, or casual browsers. Perhaps, the moderators have filled the role of a tabloid (weekly world news) editor... but who knows, it's just what I have observed from many of the posts on a web sight that claims to "deny ignorance"

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChristianJihad
reply to post by Agarta

Did you happen to take an apple in for your teacher whilst at school ?

At the end of my post I stated

Some of you may think this is a "brown nosing thread" and you are entitled to your opinion
and I reiterate the next line

but my true intent is to help members to understand what the Moderators go through day in and day out to make this a great site, to plead with the other members to help out when we can and to say 2 things to the Moderators.

1. I apologize for my indiscretions and lack of patience.
2. Thank you for doing a thankless job.

Will you be reporting me for a one line post ?

Actually I have never reported anyone for one line posts. I have several and believe that sometimes a logical point can be shown in a single sentence as well as a question asked.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I agree with the alert system, it would be nice!

Although, I don't really like the fact that whole posts or whole threads get erased.

Mods should be allowed to alert the poster, tell him which part is wrong and give the chance to that poster to re-edit what isn't allowed on this site. Till the poster doesn't edit his blocked post, the post stays blocked.
Of course, if the poster edits and refuses to change his message that violated the terms of this site, he should be temporarily banned.

I think it would be a great improvement to the site, it wouldn't require more work from mods once it's programmed correctly. I am 100% sure some blocked posts contained interesting information that shouldn't be silenced without a second chance to spread the message.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Another thing to add!

If a post is off-topic, why should it be silenced?
It could be flagged = off topic...sure no problem with that.

If it was really irrelevant, that post wouldn't get starred.
To force us to not view this off topic post is like playing daddy when it comes to watch a movie and this doesn't help us to deny ignorance. It should be up to us to use critical thinking, not up to mods to silence the whole post that they deem irrelevant.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I personally think there needs to be more Moderators

no, a big problemwith ats is that there are too many mods. they like to waltz in at anytime of day and they all have differing opinions on blah blah blah.
theres a handfull of regular mods who do a great job, but there are alot of seldom seen mods who make this site very 'inconsistent'.
this website sight needs a major overhaul imo.

edit: or atleast change the motto, 'deny ignorance' on ats? come on.
edit on 23-6-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
More mods? We would like that but it takes a special type of person to do this job. Less mods are better than having some on staff that shouldn't be staff. We've been there and it creates havoc. As to the alerts I made a BB&Q thread here a while back that explains why some may not be acted on quickly or not at all but I'll be damned if I can find it. In a nutshell it takes more than 2 mods to come to a consensus. Secondly, is it a T&C infraction? That may take some time to get to that. If it is, what type of infraction. That also takes time.... sometimes. Lastly, maybe it isn't an infraction, once a consensus is reached. While we do have staff from around the world we are heavy in North American and UK staff. Other time zones limit the amount of staff that are online.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join