It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will you do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
If you have never done anything dealing with shooting?
Can you use a weapon?
be it a knife, gun, bat or bow and arrows?
I am asking because a lot of people seem to think that it is going to be like call of duty or halo or whatever other game they play....
I got news for you, its nothing like that.
What are you doing to train and prep?
I don't want answers, I want you to think about the questions asked...use your heads for something other than a hat rack.
There are thousands of things to look up on the internet and use your mind and think...what is best for me and mine, what do I need to do this or that....read how to books and go do it so you gain a skill and put it into your bag of tricks...you never know, what you will need, till you have to do it!!!

Do some research on your own and find what works for you...what your able to do...
Just my .02 cents

edit on 22-6-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
survive

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
or die, whichever works.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I moved from Salt Lake to rural northern Maine (Houlton) a year and a half ago.I've been prepping since then with my brother, we have a small farm and two years worth of food and the means and availability to protect it. And despite popular belief theres no fema death camp here. So in closing I'd have to say just sit back and enjoy the show!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

The best comparison I can give to being under fire is, the swing ride at an amusement park.
The one where it ratchets you up and you freefall for about 30-50 feet before getting into the swings arc.
That empty stomach scared crapless feeling.
Then it goes away and you do what you need to do.
There is also another stage where you do not get terrified until after and you realize how stupid it was what you had done.
That one imo is a bit more manageable.
The other stage is freezing up but the other two are still very possible directly after.
You'll do what you do when the time comes, there is NO preparing for that.
But it is ultra cool to talk of what you will do...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Personally, I'm not looking forward to surviving a SHTF scenario. Don't get me wrong, I've been in the Army and I'm under no illusions about what it takes to survive, however getting guns here in the UK isn't that easy legally, and if you buy one on the black market you end up paying 5 times what you paid for the weapon for a box of ammunition because it's so difficult to get over here as it has to either been imported or stolen from the Police or Military. Sure I could get a shotgun license, but with my health issues, I could be turned down for that. So that means knives, slingshots and crossbows for hunting and defense for me. And thankfully, I'm still a crack shot with such things because of a misspent youth.

The thing I'm not looking forward to the most is being stabbed again. I've now been stabbed 3 times in my life and every time the pain just took my breath away and I couldn't believe how much it hurt. And this is where a lot of people end up dying because the pain becomes so overwhelming that if you can't fight through it and continue to defend yourself; you're dead. And don't even get me started about defensive wounds!

Knowledge of catching your own food, building shelters and all those fun things are essential, but learning about pain and knowing your limitations across the board is equally important. There are a lot of armchair warriors out there who think the know it all because they've watched all the Bear Gryls videos they've found on YouTube...these will be the first people to die because they have no real experience, just long hours of staring at a computer screen. And if you do nothing else, make sure you're not one of them.

Just my 10 bob's worth.

Rev

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hollywood likes to portray the end of the world as a scenario where it is every man for himself, people barricading themselves inside their homes with weapons, etc. While in a collapse of basic societal structures (power, water, etc) that would indeed be the case for a time in cities, in smaller areas, such as where I live in the mountains of SE Oklahoma, neighbours will work together to provide mutual security and aid.

Prior to moving here, I lived in south Mississippi, where I lived when Katrina hit. During that time, although where I lived there wasn't looting etc, there were incidents of violence over fuel and water. Neighbourhoods indeed banded together and help each other.

No man can survive on his own. When things happen, the majority of Americans in the heartland will work together and help each other. It is in the cities where things will be the hardest.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Whatever I do, don't put a .45 in my hand. Basic training taught me that a six foot square target just 20 feet away is the safest place to stand while I'm shooting at it. There was a huge mound of dirt running behind all the targets on the range. Oh, I killed it good!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I was once shot with a .22 pistol from about 15 feet away.
I can tell you from experience that once that bullet hit my leg all ability to function properly went out the window.
It felt like a sledge hammer to the head and there was a deafening ringing in my ears.
My first words were, "I think he hit me with something", I had no idea with what, or where, I was hit, only that something was wrong with me. I proceeded to a nearby restaraunt and pulled my pants down and saw an enterance wound, and an exit wound(thank god).
This was an eye opening experience.
Some talk about stopping power, which is all good, but, my experience tells me that unless your attacker is enraged, or has some other motive for coming after you, it doesn't matter the cal. of your firearm. The disorienting affect of being shot will stop most people, no matter the cal.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by saltdog

Whatever I do, don't put a .45 in my hand. Basic training taught me that a six foot square target just 20 feet away is the safest place to stand while I'm shooting at it. There was a huge mound of dirt running behind all the targets on the range. Oh, I killed it good!

LMAO!!! I hear you and can identify. I could be a sniper with a rifle.. but a handgun. Bah..
I have tried many.. due to my size ( 5''4" 120 lbs or so) everyone tries to give me a sig or glock or various "plastic" guns or .22s or other teeny guns. A cop friend of ours told me to go out and get a 357 smith and wesson.. due to its weight and long barrel. Its barrel heavy.
Well Im no Annie Oakley, but I can hit center mass consistently now with a handgun. Go me! Go me! .

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by saltdog

LMAO!!! I hear you and can identify. I could be a sniper with a rifle.. but a handgun. Bah..
I have tried many.. due to my size ( 5''4" 120 lbs or so) everyone tries to give me a sig or glock or various "plastic" guns or .22s or other teeny guns. A cop friend of ours told me to go out and get a 357 smith and wesson.. due to its weight and long barrel. Its barrel heavy.
Well Im no Annie Oakley, but I can hit center mass consistently now with a handgun. Go me! Go me! .

Yay for you! lol I was okay with a rifle, but that .45 was a nightmare!

top topics

join