It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the Hype?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I think one reason that it felt like more hype for Y2K is because it was a more real or tangible idea to your everyday person.

It was about computers and electronics who's BIOS clocks were not designed to go past 1999 and that our dependency on these things was going to cause mass chaos with planes dropping out of the sky, nuclear weapons self launching, and financial institutions having their financial data whipped out.

That seems a lot more likely to happen to your average Joe on the street than saying that the world is going to end (or civilization is going to end/change massively) on December 21, 2012..........because a Mayan calendar made a very long time ago will end it's long count on that day.

I think that there has been hype however, but it's just spread out more over a longer period of time. I mean you even had Hollywood make a movie about it who's title was even "2012".

I don't think you're going to see anything in the media about it as much simply because: there is nothing to report. They report the news, but they don't try to tie it in with some doomsday prediction.

Instead, that's the job of the 2012 doomsayers, which you do find a huge mass of online.

But your average people aren't glued to YouTube channels all the time (even though it seems like it sometimes), or hanging out all the time in online forums like here and other places.

They're all going about their lives just like they always have. Tell them that a computer problem might wipe out their bank account, and yah, you'll get their attention and it will be in the news a lot.
Tell them that the world is going to end because a Mayan calendar has reached the end of it's long count?

You'll get a strange look and they'll go about their business.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Even though some controversial events have happened this year, for the most part 2012 has been quite uneventful.
No major earthquakes killing thousands like in previous years, no major volcanic activity, nothing but some social issues basically. Of coarse that all could change at any moment but so far 2012 has been uneventful therefore not much 2012 hype going on.

As soon as something BIG does happen followed by more BIG events I'd imagine the hype would pick up considerably. All we can do is wait and see. This last 6 months could be totally different than the first 6 months.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join