It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Will Replace The US Dollar?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
What the Deutche Mark has going for it is Stability, being attached to a developed country without much fluctuation and strong exports, and being a central European currency that a large share of Europe's trade and banking is done through.

I don't think the global market is willing to accept the national currency of Germany as the reserve though, at least not in name. Germany does not account for a large amount of world commerce (quite disproportionate to its population size and resources yes, but not on the whole).

The way the "Deutche Mark" would be the reserve currency is through controlling interests of an otherwise named currency. For instance, the Euro is basically the Deutche Mark at this time, for the lopsided influence which France and Germany are able to project onto it. If Germany were to have the reserve currency, it would be for similar reasons- they would belong to a larger fiscal union, similar to the EU-Euro-using countries right now, where they held a controlling majority of the power.

Big as Germany is, I don't think they could controll a currency which was used by the entire west, as may be coming, but they are more than powerful enough to controll a Euro-like currency, and the Euro as it is and was is strong enough to compete very favorably with the USD as a reserve... lots of people think that is what was behind Iraq... Sadam's proclaimed willingness to trade oil in Euro's, which the US perceived to be a threat to the Petro-dollar agreemnet (which is what the reserve status is regarding) is what some claim was the real pretense for that invasion.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

Ha!

The whole bitcoin thing seems like a good idea. We need something that nobody is in control of.

Wrong! My Chinese-loving friend.

Country's are going to go back to the barter system. People are. When the Euro/Dollar collapses, trade is going to go midieval.

Cool. I liked the look of Barter Town in Mad Max 3. I wonder if we wil have thunderdomes and clever midgits that ride around on big dumb guys backs.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

Now, Now Germanicus! Not very politically correct of you to refer to "the vertically challenged" as midgets. But yeh, some places will be worse than anything the writers of Mad Max every envisioned. Get the hell out of the city.. out into the bush you go mate....

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
People get freaked out when they see that projected global GDP graph, but there's much more to the story....

We will continue to have a superior military for years to come....

Nothing will replace the USD until it can declare it's status as a reserve currency and not get blown to the stone age

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

Ha!

The whole bitcoin thing seems like a good idea. We need something that nobody is in control of.

Wrong! My Chinese-loving friend.

Country's are going to go back to the barter system. People are. When the Euro/Dollar collapses, trade is going to go midieval.

Beezer, you are awesome, you always give me a chuckle and a smile! Thank You!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk

The Amero.

Yeppers.

Mexico and Canada Invited to Join the Secret TPP Negotiations

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Get ready for the North American Union. After all, the European Union has been such a wild success so we've gotta have a currency that's just as good as theirs.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
People get freaked out when they see that projected global GDP graph, but there's much more to the story....

We will continue to have a superior military for years to come....

Nothing will replace the USD until it can declare it's status as a reserve currency and not get blown to the stone age

How is the U.S. going to pay for a "superior military" if the dollars is toilette paper? I'm not being flippant, I just would like to know what you know. Please enlighten us? Thank you.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Pretty good question what will it be? An ascendant currency like the Yuan, a return to what has worked for various times in the past, like gold and silver, some type of regional Euro-like currency, or some nebulous supranational construct like the SDR.

History does show that no currency holds that status forever. Spain, Portugal, Britain, and the US have all been the world reserve currencies over the past half millennium. Gold and Silver have enough history as a store of value and use as currency that any discussion that avoids them is lacking.

There is nothing right now that could replace the dollar in it's reserve status. The Euro had some ambitions, but it's facing it's first real crisis and doing badly. I have no doubt the Yuan will at some point be the reserve currency but it's not ready yet. That, is barring some world currency, return to commodity based exchange, or a handful of globe spanning of Euro-like currencies emerging before it's ready. I think the Yuan being the next is most likely if the dollar takes a decade or more and is fairly orderly in it's decline. I think a massive shock like what happened in '08-'09 but worse could scare governments and central banks into gold and silver if it happens before there is a sure successor. The world currency option is the one that concerns me most. We are seeing in Europe right now that you cannot have a monetary union without political and fiscal union. I can honestly see the good in some type of universal unit to measure a store of value, but I DO NOT TRUST THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF THE CURRENT CENTRAL BANKING AND GOVERNMENT SYSTEM TO DO RIGHT FOR THE MAJORITY OF HUMANITY. It's the option that scares me the most.

The dollar will at some point cease to be the world reserve currency unless the US quickly get's it's head out its ass and get's its financial affairs in order. If we don't at best we will simply be a peer with the Yuan, Pound, and Duetche Mark and maybe some other rising currencies like the Real or Rubble. The thing that I would watch though is the dollar losing it's place in the trade of oil.
edit on 20-6-2012 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HEYJOSE

We're decades beyond the next....

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

reply to post by HEYJOSE

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Please elaborate.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The dollar is king.

get used to it.

Without competition its king.

With competition, its war.

But in the end, it rules.

Just look at the euro. It sucks dirt anymore.

That is just the way it is.

If the dollar sucks, everything else just sucks worse.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Bitcoin would last only as long as it took for Wall Street to get it set up on high-frequency, computerized trading and naked short selling. If they could not control it, they would destroy it.

As long as corruption rules Washington, Wall Street and the Federal Reserve, any new system will face an uphill battle. Maybe we could level the playing field somewhat?

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HEYJOSE

reply to post by HEYJOSE

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Please elaborate.

You asked how we are going to pay for a superior military....

We don't have to...it's already decades beyond the next best thing....

but a more solid answer is it pays for itself... the petrodollar is ensured by our military might...which supports our growing debt....

: damned I feel the need to elaborate...forget there are waves of newbies to this site....

Our economy is backed by debt. It's backed by people demanding treasury bills or $$USD...well, we have agreements with certain key countries to trade their commodities in USD. This allows us to print more, and keep the dollar afloat. Countries don't necessarily want to have this "petrodolar" model, but obey else they will be attacked by our propaganda machine (MSM), and our military. It happened in Iraq, and it's happening right now in Iran....

edit on 20-6-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Get ready old buddy! So stock up on cases of Foster's Lager and Kangaroo jerky cause it will be tough to get used to, but later It will be a great life. No banks, No corporations, No governments, No Gods and No Masters. PEACE

If someone offered me Fosters for a egg, I wouldn't even take it. But I will take XXXX Gold, Carlton Draught, Cascade.

I still use the barter system, My friends use it. saves money for food

edit on 21-6-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Once the US dollar loses its reserve status, which will probably be more gradual than sudden, it will probably be a hodgepodge of different currencies until it stabilizes to a few asset backed currencies - I doubt any countries will want to be buying any more debt based currencies after the difficult lesson we are currently learning from the failures if the Fed and the ECB.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Nothing will Replace The Dollar Because When the Dollar Collapses So Will The World.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Dear Germanicus, I don't think you realise that if the dollar collapses, it will effect the entire World. My advise to you is to buy things that you can barter with, small bottles of whiskey, cigarettes, ammunition, et cetera. This is inevitable. I recently watched a video ( on David Icke maybe?) titled the top 5 places not to be when the dollar collapses, 1. ISRAEL, 2. GREAT BRITIAN, 3. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, 4. NEW YORK CITY AND NUMBER 5 WASHINGTON, D.C.

Get ready old buddy! So stock up on cases of Foster's Lager and Kangaroo jerky cause it will be tough to get used to, but later It will be a great life. No banks, No corporations, No governments, No Gods and No Masters. PEACE

Ha! Kangaroo Jerky is the first thing in my suppy case.

And yeah. You are right. If the US Dollar collapses the West is in for a shaky period to say the least.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by amraks

If someone offered me Fosters for a egg, I wouldn't even take it. But I will take XXXX Gold, Carlton Draught, Cascade.

I still use the barter system, My friends use it. saves money for food

edit on 21-6-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

The early Australian economy had alot to do with rum.

It was noy rare for a man to be paid in rum instead of money.

Maybe we should all be buying stocks in Bundy.

I rum economy would be pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
How about MONOPOLY MONEY????

- The Monopoly $1 note is the commonest banknote in the world.
- It is independent of central banks and, after this many year, no increase or decrease in the production of Monopoly Money by Parker Brothers will vary the supply by more than a few fractions of a percent.
- The Exchange rate of US$ and Monopoly$ on Ebay gives a far more accurate evaluation of how currencies are doing.
- An unopened pack of Monopoly Money contains a fixed $20,580, so the exchange rate can be established by checking Ebay for the going rate.

- On Ebay.com (US) pack have been selling for about $3,74. So US$1 = MN$5369.375
- On Ebay.gr (Greece) packs have been selling for Euro4.31. So Euro1 = MN$4798.14385

by this valation US$1 - Euro 1.12239583 as opposed to the official (Government manipulated) rate of 1.27.

- ALso, consider, Monopoly Money is DE FACTO valueless, so adopting it as the going currency would be an act of the purest honesty.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Ha!

Why do I get the feeling you have no idea what you're talking about.

Don't take that wrong, NO insult intended at all but honestly - read what you wrote, think about the implications and if your head doesn't explode come back and either refine what you posted, define what you mean or run away and be afraid, very afraid.

And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the dollar is replaced by something electronically monitored/controlled and if that comes about - we're all damned. No joke. Damned.

With Obama's new reform naturalizing Mexican youths? If anything that supports (and proves) the North American Union has not been forgotten - thus the Amero is still in the running too.

peace
edit on 21-6-2012 by silo13 because: more

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImNotHuman
Nothing will Replace The Dollar Because When the Dollar Collapses So Will The World.

i do believe that one day, we will have no choice but to abandon the idea of "the dollar." its kinda like a time bomb at this point. the world wont collapse though, i think the people will realize establishing community and trade has always been the way and will return to it

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join