It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U2 Pilot Gary Powers gets Silver Star

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Cold War pilot Francis Gary Powers posthumously awarded Silver Star

WASHINGTON -- American U-2 spy plane pilot Francis Gary Powers, who was shot down over the Soviet Union in 1960 in one of the most famous incidents of the Cold War, was posthumously awarded a Silver Star Friday, more than half a century later.

Air Force pilot Powers was shot down by surface-to-air missiles over the Soviet Union on May 1, 1960, while flying more than 1,200 miles inside its border. He parachuted to safety and was captured by Soviet troops.

Gary Powers spent almost two years in the Soviet Union. I'm sure he spent a considerable amount of time in interrogation. I know that some of his critics said he should have committed suicide to prevent the release of classified information getting into the hands of our mortal enemy at the time. I think he underwent a significant amount of debriefing when he was returned to the United States. Can you imagine someone telling you that after you survived a high-altitude bail-out and years in a Soviet prison!

It's too bad he died in a helicopter accident in the 1970's. I wonder if he was ever able to record any of his memoirs before his death in 1977?

U2 Pilot & Silver Star

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
That whole thing is pretty fishy...not even sure he was shotdown.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Thanks for posting. This is the first I've seen of those videos. I have not heard any alternate stories of Mr. Power's shoot-down until now. While it's interesting material, I didn't find the colonel's testimony that convincing that the released story is not the truth. I am definitely open to the possibility of anything, however, thus my ATS membership! lol
I'll definitely check this out a little closer! Thanks for the post, BULL!

I also thought it odd in the beginning of the first video that the author/creator of the video states, "An unarmed reconnaissance U2," or something that effect...but the U2's were spy/recon aircraft; none of them were armed, right? I know I don't know everything so I'm open to the possibility that some of them could have carried a payload, but I don't remember ever reading anything stating such. I just thought that was odd.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

How interesting! I didn't know about the Kennedy info either. Sounds like the BIlderbergers et al have been orchestrators for so many events. I'm convinced without evidence that they too are behind Iran's getting the American drone. The real 'facts' are nothing but cover stories. He clearly explains how this part of government works. I feel as old as Methisaleh when I recall how I once believed everything the government said. S&F for the info.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Yup - once you go down the rabbit hole there is no going back.

& Cosmic you should watch the whole video - its only 20 minutes & i'll bet you learn something.

Peace out
edit on 16-6-2012 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I think Powers' plane had to have been sabotaged. The Russian. SAMs of the time were not capable of bringing him down.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Powers was a civilian, just like Armstrong. I think they set things up that way more for public deniability, meaning US Public deniability, as opposed to Soviet deniability, should something go awry.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

This is so funny. Here it has always been my intuition the U2 incident was a set up and not a real SAM hit. And I posted that all the while missing your video BABYBULL24. At least I can say my intuition was right on the money.

new topics

top topics

join