It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants May ‘Talk’ To Each Other by Clicking Their Roots

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You linked to PLoS ONE article by Gagliano. Did you catch that?

Your hyperlink text is title of 1 study, but your link is to another from PLoS ONE("Out of Sight but Not out of Mind: Alternative Means of Communication in Plants").

The study you attempted to link is reference no 45 in PLoS ONE.

Elevenaugust's news cited Trends in Plant Science.

The Gagliano evidence for sound communication is in the short study, 3 page Spotlight.

From the other thread, it has free fulltext

link path

zen-haven.dk > theepochtimes.com > fulltext

www.linv.org/images/papers_pdf/1-s2.0-s1360138512000544-main%281%29.pdf

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1360138512000544

Trends in Plant Science
Volume 17, Issue 6, June 2012, Pages 323–325

Spotlight
Towards understanding plant bioacoustics

* Monica Gagliano1, 2, E-mail the corresponding author,
* Stefano Mancuso3,
* Daniel Robert4

* 1 Centre for Evolutionary Biology, School of Animal Biology, University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
* 2 Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis, University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
* 3 LINV, Department of Plant, Soil and Environmental Science, University of Firenze, Sesto F.no (FI), Italy
* 4 School of Biological Science, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK

* Available online 21 March 2012.

* dx.doi.org...

Little is known about plant bioacoustics. Here, we present a rationale as to why the perception of sound and vibrations is likely to have also evolved in plants. We then explain how current evidence contributes to the view that plants may indeed benefit from mechanosensory mechanisms thus far unsuspected.

edit on 9-7-2012 by amcpwoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by amcpwoy
You linked to PLoS ONE article by Gagliano. Did you catch that?

No I didnt.
And because nobody else up until now bothered to read the journal articles, my error went unchecked.

It is interesting work though. Strange that nobody has tested it before now.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
M. Night Shyamalan called it!

This just gave a whole new meaning to The Happening... which, in all seriousness, is very scary..

I'm a bit of an animist so I always believed plants could communicate and that everything is connected, and this appears to be one step closer to figuring out how they do it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
That's one thing I never really understood about the vegans and vegetarians that don't eat meat and animal products for non-health or religious reasons. Why do they elevate animal life over that of plant life? Plants are alive, they are still killing something and eating it. It seems arrogant to say that animal life is worth more, or is more important than plant life.

I've wondered the exact same thing! I half-figured there wasn't a point in becoming vegan or vegetarian, for other than health reasons, because you're still consuming something sentient, and still generating negative karma. It's like the difference between killing an ant, or another human being. Just because the ant is smaller, does that mean that it has lesser importance or a lesser soul?? I've never seen a difference.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join