It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Green Algae - Anabaena circinalis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
www.canberratimes.com.au...

Potentially fatal levels of blue-green algae close lake Alen Delic May 25, 2012 * Read later Ads by Google ACT First Aid Courses www.act.royallifesaving.com.au Royal Life Saving Society - $100. 1 Day or On-line courses available Potentially fatal ... Lake Burley Griffin has been closed due to record high levels of blue-green algae. Potentially fatal ... Lake Burley Griffin has been closed due to record high levels of blue-green algae. Photo: Gary Schafer Lake Burley Griffin is closed because of the highest blue-green algae readings on record, 1000 times above safe levels. Blue-green algae levels tested at more than 66 million cells per millilitre yesterday, compared with the 64,000 cells per millilitre earlier this month. Read more: www.canberratimes.com.au...

Over the last few weeks I think I have had cause for concern regarding an outbreak of the above. Lake Burley Griffin is a man made lake. Around it are many gardens and lawns, along with areas of Farming surrounding it. Along with some Plantation pine farms.
The issue with regards to getting from one side of Canberra to another, or wanting to head into the City, you have to pass some part of the lake or another. Over the last few months it has been almost unbearable with regards to travelling to work or doing chores and so on, is that when you pass the lakes I feel like I am breath moulds of some sort, and my eyes sting terrible. It was at its worst yesterday.
Now in doing some research I have found that there seems to be only one way that the particles from the Algae can get airborne is though water mists (water sports and so on).
Ok! But in doing some further research I found that the algae has what is called gas vacuoles, that control their exposure to light. What is also mentioned is that the Gas Vacuoles seems to expand and contract with the amount of gas that is required. With this in mind, wouldnt you think it would make sense that water mists etc is not the only way that the algae releases its airborne particles. If the gas vacuoles are expanding and contracting, in the contraction - doesnt the gas have to go somewhere.
One of the symptoms with Algae toxicity is Gastro. Gastro, amongst people I know seems to have risen. And its gotten to the point where some of them have become very seriously ill.
So with this in mind, as I dont know enough about this algae and what it can do to people, is there a correlation, is the Gas scenario a viable one, or have I got it a bit bum around the wrong way?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
That springs to mind, I've always wondered what the blue green algea substance all over Mars is

According to the apollo transcripts, there's green stuff on the moon too.

Anyone know what it is? Probably just Martian/Moon Algea, but more info would be nice

www.thelivingmoon.com...

www.thelivingmoon.com...

edit on 14-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

What's the blue stuff? www.thelivingmoon.com...
edit on 14-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Seeker

Blue Green Algae in excess should be Harvested. It has many beneficial properties and potential
energy related applications. However, it does not fixate Nitrogen. At least that is what I have been
indoctrinated to believe. Blue Green Algae has exceptional health benefits as well.
Green filamentatious Algae is not the same as Blue Green Algae.
It is worth a good study and research.

Great focus for a dissertation, or final paper. Interesting Topic S&F

Turn what appears to be a bad thing into what can be a miraculously good thing my friend!
edit on 14-6-2012 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

WOW that seems to be different to the opinion that was written up about it all. In a couple of article I read, it said that there was a possibility of turning this particular algae into a weapon due to it dangerous toxicity levels....

www.google.com.au...=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=Anabaena+circinalis+as+a+biological+weapon&oq=Anabaena+circinalis+as+a+biological+weapon&aq=f&aqi=q-n 1&aql=&gs_l=hp.3..33i38.1492.6874.0.8006.24.23.0.0.0.1.1615.10484.2-5j7j7j2j1j0j1.23.0...0.0.tqu7g-wVaBs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1 db6872e81f81129&biw=1280&bih=809

The United States Military has researched saxitoxin since the 1950s, naming the toxin Agent TZ. In 1960, while piloting the now-infamous 'U-2 Incident' over Russian airspace, CIA pilot Francis Gary Powers was rumored to have had a saxitoxin "suicide pill", which he was later criticized for not using upon his capture[12]. Military researchers have since found the aerosol dispersion of saxitoxin to have a much higher toxicity than both sarin nerve gas and ricin [13], leading to the possibility of using saxitoxins on the battlefield. However, the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) of 1993 categorized saxitoxins as a Schedule 1 substance, meaning: * Saxitoxins have the potential to be used as a biological weapon, or as a precursor to another weapon. * Saxitoxins have no practical use outside of weapons manufacture. As per the CWC, stockpiles of all chemical weapons, including saxitoxin, were to be destroyed by the year 2010

Just saw that they apparently destroyed them by 2010... Or did they

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Reply to post by The_Seeker

Funny tidbit:

My mother's uncle (grandmother's brother) is Francis Gary Powers- that same pilot you referenced. She actually is in DC right now to go to an awards ceremony tomorrow morning at the pentagon. The story the family tells about that incident is a bit diff than the history books, go figure huh - not to go off topic lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by itswhatev

How interesting. Little synchronicity working there maybe?

top topics

join