It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence: The Disease

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

"transportation being linked to "risky" is stretching it, safety continues to improve by finding new ways to survive crashes, we have rules most ppl follow on the road, hardly a question of bad intelligence."

risk (rsk)
n.
1. The possibility of suffering harm or loss; danger.
2. A factor, thing, element, or course involving uncertain danger; a hazard:

risk·y
   [ris-kee] Show IPA
adjective, risk·i·er, risk·i·est.
attended with or involving risk;

Apparently I am using the noun and you are using an adjective and safety used to "survive crashes" does not reduce the risk of a crash. I think I got your vibe though. Things like having good tires and the new electronic sensors that detect when you fall asleep at the wheel are things that reduce accidents. Sending out positivity. can you feel me?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Intelligence is what helps us survive and live longer, healthier lives.

Yes, I included this in my "Pros", but there is always another side of the coin...
Intelligence also gives us Monsanto, nuclear weapons, napalm and mustard gas.

Almost anything good can become bad in excess... I think we are on the verge of having too much intelligence.

edit on 14-6-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

Actually,... we're not on the verge of too much intelligence, we're on the verge to discovering intelligence. Intelligent human beings wouldn't need nuclear weapons to defend themselves from each other, and intelligent human beings would not misuse their new-found powers. We're smart, we're capable of occasional intelligence, but intelligent in the perfect form we are not. Then again....does "intelligent" mean "non-violent" or "non-power seeking"?

Now think of it this way. If we were perfect in every way and if nothing bad ever happened how would you know the bad from the good? What would life be like if you never felt an ounce of agitation? We seek challenges all the time. Life is boring without them. Do you play video games where there are no goals to attain or dangers to face?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Actually,... we're not on the verge of too much intelligence, we're on the verge to discovering intelligence. Intelligent human beings wouldn't need nuclear weapons to defend themselves from each other, and intelligent human beings would not misuse their new-found powers.

I think maybe you're confusing intelligence with wisdom...
Highly intelligent creatures are not necessarily morally sound.

It is precisely a lack (deficiency) of wisdom that makes our intelligence so dangerous.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRGreer
reply to post by juveous

"transportation being linked to "risky" is stretching it, safety continues to improve by finding new ways to survive crashes, we have rules most ppl follow on the road, hardly a question of bad intelligence."

risk (rsk)
n.
1. The possibility of suffering harm or loss; danger.
2. A factor, thing, element, or course involving uncertain danger; a hazard:

risk·y
   [ris-kee] Show IPA
adjective, risk·i·er, risk·i·est.
attended with or involving risk;

Apparently I am using the noun and you are using an adjective and safety used to "survive crashes" does not reduce the risk of a crash. I think I got your vibe though. Things like having good tires and the new electronic sensors that detect when you fall asleep at the wheel are things that reduce accidents. Sending out positivity. can you feel me?

haha, i can feel ya. you received my connotations. The point is that most people don't look at driving their car as that risky because of rules we mutually agree on and follow, on top of having cars that are built to decrease chance of fatal injury, hence why "risky" was in quotations.
edit on 15-6-2012 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
reply to post by butcherguy

I believe the goal of human intelligence should be the perpetuation of our species. That means, ultimately, the means to procreate after leaving this planet. At some point, who knows when, Earth will not be suitable for life to continue to exist.

I find it ironic that we kill our planet so that we can live...
...I'm not sure if our species is actually this important!

The process of creating seeds can be deadly to a plant. What sort of seedlings we end up being is still in the process of being figured out. I'm hoping for the non-destructive kind.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

The process of creating seeds can be deadly to a plant. What sort of seedlings we end up being is still in the process of being figured out. I'm hoping for the non-destructive kind.

That's my hope as well, but it will have to be through either a conscious effort by our leaders, or a mass awakening to wisdom by all of humanity, both of which are unlikely for many millennia to come.

Our leaders are still busy perfecting their weapons (and agendas) and the people are too busy to be bothered, unless there's an iPad to be won or an "Idol" on TV to vote on.

I really don't blame the people though, the industrial revolution made it so easy for TPTB to process us like hamburger from birth to death.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join