It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Elbow Licking Problem.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
My German Shepherd is aged approx 10years old,and has had sort of calluses type patches with no hair on his elbows for years with no probs..

This is a common problem amongst heavier breeds,resulting from the pressure on that area when they lie down.
Some of my other bigger dogs have had the same thing,but its never bothered them.
The problem is,for the last couple of days he has been licking one elbow relentlessly,and I have not been able to monitor him 24/7 due to work.

So today I checked him out,and he has made it worse by licking-its all raw and pink and obviously hurts him.

I have checked out the net for advice,and I will take him to the vets to check if he's got infected-But I can't do that for a couple of days(work,again).

So I have tried to clean the area,and used antiseptic on it,then covered it with a breathable "plaster" made out of a wad of lint and duct tape(with lots of holes cut in it to let the skin breathe.

He hates the plaster,but its letting the elbow dry out so far.

Is there anything else I could do to help him before I can get him to the vet?

Plus-I know the vet will want to give him a "head bucket" to stop him licking-BUT,he hates those things worse than squirrels-Does anyone know a good alternative?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I would just get him the cone. He might hate it, but it's for his best interest.
He obviously doesn't know better or he wouldn't lick it.
Put the cone around his neck and call it a day.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Try rubbing vaseline on it to keep it from drying out and irritating him/her. My 100lb golden lab has the same issue and that is how I take care of it. Or even unscented lotion would work as well. Plus she tends not to lick it with stuff on it that don't taste to good.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
So long as it's wrapped he can't get to it unless of course he's really motivated and gets through the bandage. I wouldn't use duct tape, but rather a breathable gauze and medical tape. Neosporin or Basitracin will help with dryness and speed up skin regeneration. Also I would clean the area with peroxide twice daily, changing the bandage at the same frequency.

Keep it clean, dry, and wrapped, and give it a few days before going to the vet, imo. If it starts to get better, you can avoid the vet altogether.. But of course if it starts to get worse even with your extra care, go to the vet.

Best wishes!

edit on 13-6-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

That sounds like a good way to go when its healed,but I am not sure if vaseline may lock in moisture before its healed and cause problems.
I will try that when its dried up a bit.
Cheers usmc0311

reply to post by TinkerHaus

I made sure to cut lots of little holes it the duct tape first,so his skin can breathe-I have used it before like that on other dogs and it seem to work well because they don't like the taste of duct tape.
Plus duct tape is tougher in case they do try to chew it off.

I will change the dressing every evenig as well,and once its healed,start with the vaseline.
Hopefully then we can avoid the vets.

Thanks for the input everyone.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If it's infected, you'll have to see the vet. Take your dog's temperature. If it's up, it may be infected.

This is similar to what I did...

Dog Elbow Callos

Make sure to give it some "air time" every day.
edit on 6/13/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you Benevolent Heretic,
I shall take your advice and get his temp just in case.
I am hoping it's not got infected yet,as its only showing pinky raw skin without any of the nastiness you get with infection.
I will change the dressings and clean daily and give a bit of breathing time inbetween.

I have told him he's getting a dog sitter tomorow(my sister hopefully)so he's having no chance of licking.

thanks for the link too.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

It actually may be arthritis, not the skin itself.

Give him an aspirin, and see if he feels better.

If a joint really hurts them, and your dog is at that age, they will lick it trying to get the joint pain to stop.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
My golden lab had dry calloused elbows for a couple of years, and then I switched him to organic food, and now they're all properly covered in fur. I don't think he ever licked them though, he was too fat to get to them.

Maybe try out a different food, he might be missing some essential oils in his diet.

For the licking, I don't know, if you're not there with him, those head cones can get the dog in weird situations, like stuck in places, or food and water knocked all over the place

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My dog did the exact same thing.

Luckily I had an honest vet and heres what he told me.

It usualy starts because of a minor scratch or splinter, or something that irritates. The dog then starts to lick the area. the licking causes the skin to change to a different kind of skin. This new skin irritates even more and so the licking continues even though the original cause has gone.

He told me all thats needed is to stop the dog licking it. Then the problem will go away.

You can purchase a cream that dogs SUPPOSEDLY dont like that SUPPOSEDLY stops them licking. I applied it to the leg that he kept licking and I also applied it to the leg that had no problems. Well, he started licking both legs so he obviously liked the cream.

If your offered this cream try it on another leg before you apply it to the problem. If he licks it you'll know the cream is useless.

By the way, PLEASE try to find a way that does not involve a head cone, they look so cruel to me.

edit on 13-6-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Update:

After just one night of covering the area,its already looking a lot less irritated,so today after work I will try vaseline,and cover it with a sock with the end cut off.

Thanks for the advice one and all.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
A lot of great responses in this thread.

Neosporin, a non-stick gauze pad and Vetwrap would be what I'd do.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I have now put vaseline on it,as its dried out well today-Tried the sock covering,but he pulled a Houdini and escaped from it within 30 mins.

Oh well,the vaseline is working I think-he hates it,does not like to lick it,which is great.

Poor dog looks at me as though I am purposely humiliating him though..He's in a right grump.

How dare you spoil my licking he says...
Better than a head cone though I think.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Oh good grief...

I just went to check his elbow after his walk,and it was all wet as it's raining hard here in Wales as always.

So I dried his leg with a towel,and when I tried to put more vaseline on-he licked my finger.
He has only gone and decided he loves to eat vaseline only an hour after he first hated it.

Noooo!!

Next stop the vets tomorrow if he keeps licking.
I do not want him to get an infection,and with our damp warm weather that is a worry.

the trouble is the vet will give him antibiotics,which will make him sleep all day and make him less able to exercise properly.
Oh well tonight is the deciding night.

edit on 14/6/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

oh no ..... the cone of shame!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

No cone of shame for him this time.

He had it as a pup when it was necessary,but now he is a distinguished gentleman-he will not be subjected to the cone if I can help it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is the perfect product, but it's $70. If you know someone who sews, it's possible to rig up something yourself.

www.canineangelsinc.com...

These are better, but twice as much:

Dogg Leggs
Good luck!
edit on 6/14/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

They look just the thing for him.
I will try to make something similar I think.
Cheers!

top topics

join