It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to balance the US trade imbalance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Okay, I was listening to NPR this morning and I heard about a really interesting program that Argentina has set up. Basically it makes it illegal for companies to import more items into Argentina than they export. So, companies like GM who important tons of car parts, etc. are forced to set up export companies to export Argentinian goods in equal value. These export companies don't have to be within that companies sphere either, so GM for example has set up many export companies that distribute Argentinian wine, cheese, etc.

Now obviously companies like GM don't really like this but for the country it seems great. Companies are forced to either buy nationally made goods, export the countries products or not do business there.

I want ATS's opinion on how this system could work in America? I think it would be amazing if multinational corporations or chinese firms had to export American goods. I am a free market guy and this seems like a healthy medium between America's current idiotic trade policies and outright nationalization.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

It seems like a brilliant idea actually. It enforces balance and equality concerning how countries trade with each other. Of course it's unlikely to happen in America because large corporations control the Government and their lobbyists wont allow it to happen.
edit on 12-6-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
How dare you! How dare you come with an idea that makes sense and would work!? I mean, who in hell do you think you are!?

This flies in the face of imperialism and endangers the global empire being built! This would give sovereignty back to individual nations and inspire freedom around the world. Economies would stabilize as trade balances ensured livable wages.

[Sarcasm filter: OFF]

I think this is a BRILLIANT idea whose time has come!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I agree I thought this was a golden idea that almost any side of the spectrum could support and would in my eyes save America...

Not holding my breath though

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's simple.

Tariff slave labor.

Free trade should only be allowed with other countries who have laws that also protect their workers, as we do (although they are fighting hard to destroy that).

This is the only way to make trade fair for ALL countries....and make true competition in where it's not about price, it's quality.

new topics

top topics

join