It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time for Katla?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I've been watching Katla now for about i'd say,2 years?And well,i have only been watching Katla as an average citizen with no experience in geology or seismology
but been watching none the less..

Ive watched pretty much everyday,checking up on her,getting stragely excited all the time for when she blows

Shes had a couple of snags in the last year or two but lately she seems to be getting worse quicker and quicker.

Shes already long overdue and if an eruption would occur it would be most likely more catastrophic than what they predicted as the volcano itself is like shaking a bottle only building it up for it to explode,except it hasn't,its still building up.

Now i use the icelandic met office obviously for tracking, and well,i guess see for yourself

That was last year,when she hit record earthquakes in a short period,they genuinly thought she was going to blow..
www.icenews.is...

Min or earthquake Swarm,just one of the continous and growing swarms lately..
www.jonfr.com...

But today,well has been pretty mad with todays readings,check it out for yourself..
en.vedur.is...

If the post is read later,il post the news article to go with it..
www.icelandreview.com...

I hope for it to blow,otherwise the more it holds on,the worse it will become..

Thoughts?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Interesting post. Katla appears to be a sleeping giant who may just be waking up and ready to cause trouble!

Iceland’s Katla Volcano is, once again, displaying signs of an imminent eruption. Are volcanologists crying wolf? It’s impossible to say, but given the current situation — and with so much at risk — how could they not?

By my count, this is my fifth YourWeatherBlog piece about the Katla volcano since the summer of 2010 (read previous entries here, here, here and — oh yes — here ). Remember, it was April of 2010 when Katla’s neighbor Eyjafjallajökull erupted and brought trans-Atlantic and western European air traffic to a near standstill. The underlying thought was (and is), If Eyjafjallajökull could do that (shut down air traffic), imagine what the larger Katla could do!

The Katla volcano is partially covered by the Mýrdalsjökull glacier. And it is larger. By some estimates much larger. Experts cite the last major eruption of Katla in 1918 as being five times larger than 2010′s Eyjafjallajökull which threw volcanic ash miles into the atmosphere and grounded vast amounts of air traffic for six days.

Might a major Katla eruption ground air traffic for a longer period and might the ash cloud spread much farther from Iceland? Most experts agree yes and yes. Those experts include ImpactWeather’s in-house geologist Fred Schmude who comments that the next Katla eruption will likely be a VEI (Volcanic Explosivity Index) 5, Plinian-type eruption as compared to the 1918 Katla eruption which was classified as a VEI 4 or perhaps a VEI 5. Eyjafjallajökull’s 2010 eruption was classified as VEI 4.

What does history tell us? It’s not good. Katla, since 930, has erupted 16 times at intervals of 13-95 years. It’s been 94 years since the VEI4/5 eruption of 1918. Presently, this is one of the longest periods of dormancy in its history. One way or another, it seems Katla is about to go into the record books.

yourweatherblog.com...

Apparently Katla has been asleep for 94 years. Since Katla erupts at 13 to 95 year intervals, it appears to be due. Yikes!

join