It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concern as spike in type 1 diabetes is seen in US youth - 23% rise 2001 thru 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
article from Fox News
Published June 10, 2012
(from The Wall Street Journal source)

Concern as spike in type 1 diabetes is seen in US youth

A drastic increase in Type I Diabetes over an eight-year period ending in 2009 is alarming.

Scientists have no idea why either. That's even more alarming.

And there are more complicated problems that go with this.

A (CDC and the National Institutes for Health funded) study came up with the results and was reported at a meeting of the American Diabetes Association.

In the first major national analysis of diabetes trends among American youth, researchers Saturday reported an alarming 23% rise in type 1 diabetes incidence over an eight-year period ending in 2009.

The surprising increase, being reported at a meeting of the American Diabetes Association, comes amid similar growth of type 2 diabetes in children. But unlike type 2, which is linked to the high prevalence of obesity in youth, researchers have no explanation for why the autoimmune form of the disease is growing at such a clip.

Funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes for Health, the study used data from 20,000 children and youth under 20 at multiple hospitals and health centers in five states. The researchers found that the incidence of type 2 diabetes over that period increased 21%......[continued]

Why all of a sudden ?

Can someone add some details and technical knowledge ?

Please read and comment
Concern as spike in type 1 diabetes is seen in US youth

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Our bodies were designed thousands of years ago for a few pieces of meat, twigs and berries. It's no wonder with the crap americans eat in modern times.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
scientists have no Idea??
thats funny
Hmmm Im no scientist, but,, High fructose corncrap soda machines in all the schools, Cereal loaded with sugar, HFC'c in ketchup, sugar this sugar that.. microwave this wicrowave that.....
need I really go on??
seriously??
edit on 10-6-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I would attribute this "unexplainable increase" to the fact that, not only is high-fructose corn syrup being added to more foods every day, but now it's genetically-modified. And parents love that babysitter.com website and that babysitter channel...yeah.

I see thin and healthy parents towing their very overweight kids around town more and more often. It's almost funny that they wonder how, until you see how incredibly sad their child appears to be.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If too much sugar, carbs or fat are not the cause of this increase they are probably contributing to setting up the right conditions for people who are predisposed to diabetes.

When my daughter was in high school 2001-2004 they had the pop and snack vending machines (and were allowed to drink pop during several classes). When I would drop her off there was always a tractor-trailer delivering pop so I know they were selling massive amounts. They adopted a lunch program that resembled a food court at the mall where they could choose to purchase food from Arby's, Pizza Hut, (and a few others I don't remember now) in addition to offering a traditional cafeteria lunch.

It didn't affect her too much because she was a year-round competitive swimmer so she burned a lot of calories and her coach didn't allow them to drink pop. But overall I believe this was a very bad idea that encouraged poor nutritional habits. I heard that recently they expanded the menu to offer more salads and fruit and they finally took the pop machines out after a lot of pressure from parents.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Listen up people .... Type 1 Diabetes is AUTOIMMUNE. Look to the vaccinations ....

I have an autoimmune disease. In my support group we have discussions about where these autoimmune diseases come from. Many of us wonder about the vaccinations. The much higher rate of autoimmune disease .. the high rate of autism ... etc etc ...

ETA - Wikipedia - Type 1 Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus type 1 (Type 1 diabetes, T1DM, IDDM, or, formerly, juvenile diabetes) is a form of diabetes mellitus that results from autoimmune destruction of insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas.[2] The subsequent lack of insulin leads to increased blood and urine glucose. The classical symptoms are polyuria (frequent urination), polydipsia (increased thirst), polyphagia (increased hunger), and weight loss.[3]

Incidence varies from eight to 17 per 100,000 in Northern Europe and the U.S., with a high of about 35 per 100,000 in Scandinavia, to a low of one per 100,000 in Japan and China.[4]

Eventually, type 1 diabetes is fatal unless treated with insulin. Injection is the most common method of administering insulin; other methods are insulin pumps and inhaled insulin. Pancreatic transplants have been used. Pancreatic islet cell transplantation is experimental, though growing.[5]

Most people who develop type 1 are otherwise healthy.[6] Although the cause of type 1 diabetes is still not fully understood, it is believed to be of immunological origin.

edit on 6/11/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Well,
it sucks for those that didnt see the truth about Vaccines early on.
Though, i still Blame the sugars that are shoved down the throats of so many sheep
WAKE UP SUGAR LOVERS

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
type 1 is not caused by sugar. The two types of diabetes are 2 totally different animals. People who don't understand the difference are really annoying to the type 1 diabetic. I became type 1 at 37 years of age, does not run in my family, however i did have a blood transfusion back in 1984 when i had my c-section with my daughter, could this have been the culprit, no one seems to know. i have lived with this for 17 long years and i hate every minute of it. i also lived with a huge amount of stress through my married life, so many factors, so few answers...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Try not to confuse Type 1 diabetes with Type 2. The latter is a chronic, progressive disease caused by poor dietary/lifestyle choices. The former is an auto-immune disease that, in most cases, happens independently of dietary/lifestyle influences.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There is a difference between causing a condition and being a catalyst toward its development. Poor nutrition may not actaully cause type 1 but could certainly be a factor in the timing of the onset or its severity in certain individuals who are predisposed genetically. This seems to apply to the vaccine argument as well. If vaccines were the actual cause of Type I diabetes or autism then we would not find unvaccinated people with either of these conditions, and that is not the case.

I believe that excessive hormones, in food, medications, birth contol pills., in our water suppy etc. are the universal trigger for most autoimmune diseases. I'm not saying vaccines are not causing problems for some people, I just don't believe they are the root cause of big increases in Type I diabetes, autism, cancer, and a host of other problems that people are blaming on them.

I found an article that is saying what I've been basically thinking. I know this thread is about Type I diabetes and the link is focused on autism but I feel the article hit the nail on the head concerning the increase not only of autism but Type I diabetes and other autoimmune diseases as well.

www.autismkey.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You know that the drug companies and MSM have won when you come into a thread discussing Type 1 and everybody starts posting about poor lifestyle choices.

Thank you OP for posting this and honestly I have been waiting for this type of news to come out. And I would not be surprised if this is just half of the story, I think there is a raise in adult on-set Type 1 also. I was diagnosed in Oct 2010 with Type 1 at age 36. Since then, the majority of people I have interacted with that have Type 1 are also adult on-set.

I'm afraid that there is another trend on the horizon, children being diagnosed with both Type 1 & 2 (sometimes called 1 1/2 or Type 3) I already know one 10 year old that has happened to.

The vaccine link is very interesting, thanks to those that have posted that info!

OiO

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Try not to confuse Type 1 diabetes with Type 2. The latter is a chronic, progressive disease caused by poor dietary/lifestyle choices. The former is an auto-immune disease that, in most cases, happens independently of dietary/lifestyle influences.

If this were true, how do you explain the studies findings?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Mind the "In most cases" that was purposefully placed there for a reason. It's quite possible--and is likely probable--that the spike could be attributed to predispositions that manifest as a result of parental lifestyle/dietary choices.

Eating the wrong foods will indeed lead to type 2 diabetes for an individual; however, it could mean type 1 diabetes that individual's child.

A very real example of this is when a pregnant woman over consumes carbohydrates and/or sugar, the baby is born with a tendency to fatten easily, crave carbohydrates and become hyperglycemic (and this most likely explains the rise in prevalence of childhood obesity and diabetes).

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by unityemissions

Mind the "In most cases" that was purposefully placed there for a reason. It's quite possible--and is likely probable--that the spike could be attributed to predispositions that manifest as a result of parental lifestyle/dietary choices.

Eating the wrong foods will indeed lead to type 2 diabetes for an individual; however, it could mean type 1 diabetes that individual's child.

A very real example of this is when a pregnant woman over consumes carbohydrates and/or sugar, the baby is born with a tendency to fatten easily, crave carbohydrates and become hyperglycemic (and this most likely explains the rise in prevalence of childhood obesity and diabetes).

I'm no where near an expert on this but,

is it possible that type 1 diabetes could be hereditary ?

Not necessarily just from the pregnant Mother.

Perhaps certain foods alter DNA enough to cause this ?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Who knows but I know I got when I was 7 I am now 21
edit on 14-6-2012 by KryptKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TZela
If vaccines were the actual cause of Type I diabetes or autism then we would not find unvaccinated people with either of these conditions, and that is not the case.

Vaccines interact with something in the bodies of those pre-disposed to the autoimmune disease. The vaccine itself doesn't cause it, but it triggers something in the body that is there. Autoimmune diseases and autism weren't this high before the onslaught of vaccinations. That is why many of the people in my Sjogrens support group are wondering about the vaccinations.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
The BBC are doing a series at the moment called ' The men who made us fat' . Looking at the food industry and the way unhealthy food has been marketed to us.

Peretti travels to America to investigate the story of High Fructose Corn Syrup. The sweetener was championed in the US in the 1970s by Richard Nixon’s Agriculture Secretary Earl Butz to make use of the excess corn grown by farmers. Cheaper and sweeter than sugar, it soon found its way into almost all processed foods and soft drinks. HFCS is not only sweeter than sugar, it also interferes with Leptin, the hormone that controls appetite, so once you start eating or drinking it, you don’t know when to stop.

Meanwhile, in 1970s Britain, food manufacturers used advertising campaigns to promote the idea of snacking between meals. Outside the home, fast food chains offered clean, bright premises with tempting burgers cooked and served with a very un-British zeal and efficiency. Twenty years after the arrival of McDonalds, the number of fast food outlets in Britain had quadrupled.

I imagine you won't be able to see this in America yet, but if you can here is a youtube link.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
If this were true, how do you explain the studies findings?

Type One is autoimmune. Type Two is not. It's just the way it is.

Originally posted by xuenchen
is it possible that type 1 diabetes could be hereditary ?

Autoimmune does run in families. However, in my case I am the only one in my family to have an autoimmune disease. No one else has it. And I went in the army when I was 19 and had a whole slew of shots .. some strange ones like Plague etc etc .... So I don't doubt that getting shots could have set something off. It could be something else of course, but my mind keeps going back to that.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Yes. Genetic predispositions can be passed down, but it takes an environmental trigger (virus, etc.) for the defect to be expressed.

new topics

top topics

join