It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question About Turkey

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I still don't understand what turkey would gain by leaving NATO?
Surely it stands to lose alot more by leaving.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Turkey are not stupid enought to side with the US and Israel
you can be sure about that
they will ally themself with syria before allying themself up with Israel
who killed many turkish on a boat that wanted to deliver aid to Gaza

Turkey have made its mind
Russia and China probably have very close tie with the country

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The Top General in Turkey went on a tour of the US including the Pentagon. That was the same day that many generals and others were arrested in Turkey along with organized crime figures and espionage ring. So I would say they are friendly with the US. I think this is the same group that Sibel Edmunds talked about over hearing on a wire tap. But I have not followed up on it all in a while.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

what?! have you got any evidence to back up that claim?
you realize that turkey is going to or is seriously considering invoking article 5 of the NATO agreement which is essentially asking NATO for help to protect its boarders against syria, as an attack on 1 NATO number is an attack on all its members.
edit on 8-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I would say that the Turkish government is friendly towards the USA, but not necessarily the people and another Arab spring can easily happen in turkey.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Turkey is one coup/uprising away from changing the face of the mideast theatre.

Think about.....Muslim Brotherhood or (insert muslim groups name here) take control of Turkey with the support of the majority of the people.....

You can bet they will side with their Arab neighbours.

Israel will find itself severly surrounded.

Nukes wont help you there.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

The US was friendly with the Egyptian military and they still ran the uprising against Mubarak. So they could be doing a setup to do a coup. But the US would lose there only voice with Syria and Iran. Pakistan would also want all relations with the US to be over because they would feel they are next. So it might be a can of worms they just don't want to touch.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
With their control of the Bosphorus and of oil transport from Russia, Turkey is actually in a pretty powerful position within NATO.

The fact that the EU rejected them probably left them a little bitter, but they may be feeling better about it now.

They are currently making NATO (the west) uncomfortable with their unrestrained oil purchases from Iran. When the full EU embargo on Iranian oil takes effect next month it may force the issue.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That is what I am talking about. Since they have such a vital, and pivotal position in NATO an arab spring there or a government change through civil war could drastically change the face of NATO overnight.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join