It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visiting a Masonic Lodge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, tonight I visited my first Masonic lodge, ever. For the conspiracy theorists, surprise! I made it back alive despite not being a member.

I was first introduced to a few officers, then given a tour of the supposedly secret inner sanctum, which was interesting, but the tile pattern made my eyes screwy for a bit until I adjusted to the black-white checkerboard pattern. In fact, I was invited/allowed to view any of the place I wished. The only place I did not enter was the bathroom or the kitchen - oh, yeah right, that's where the real secret stuff goes on...

We had pizza and bottled water, and I departed as the business meeting was about to commence.

Everyone was nice, but most of the men were, I'd guess, in their late 70's to early 90's, and looking pretty frail. There were also a lot of men with anachronistic facial hair - something I'd expect to see in the 1800's.

Only three men were anywhere near (5-10 years) my age. No one appeared younger than their mid-late 30's.

I don't know if I'll go with this lodge, as I knew no one except for my "sponsor". The age/health gap was quite dramatic, and I really didn't get to know anyone - just "hello" and friendly chit-chat. Maybe they'll let me return and I can get to know some of the gentlemen, and they can come to know me? We'll see...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

I just found out yesterday while driving around during work that we have a masonic lodge near where I live. I tried to get in but everything was locked

edit on 5-6-2012 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Naturally, it just won't be open to the public at any and all hours of the day.

I forgot to add that I was invited to the installation of officers at the end of this month - evidently that is open to the public.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I think I might introduce myself to the lodge and check it out...any advice would be fantastic

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I'm not a member, still a postulant, if that's what they call it.

Just dress nicely. Not necessarily a suit and tie, but no torn jeans or t-shirt. I wore some nice, casual leather shoes, a knit button-up shirt, and some nice dark jeans.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it

Now to find out when they meet and get some pizza

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
That was just the fare for the evening at that particular lodge. You may get sandwiches, or surf-n-turf!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Don't be afraid to ask if there are any lodges around with younger members. The old guys won't get offended. (unless you call them geezers or something) But you will want to find a lodge that fits you if you want to enjoy it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I have been talking to some of the people and trying to visit one of the lodges by where I currently live but they are a good 3 hour train ride and I usually am still at work when they start harmony. The age thing is the same here from all the pictures I have seen on the lodge website which was a little interesting to me also since I am only 22. Anyway thanks for the info and I will post my experience if I get the chance to attend.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

The lodge was also not much more than a glorified bingo-hall - painted cinder block and 60's vintage wood panelling. I know some of the lodges in the "big city" are ornate and opulent - Gothic or Neo-Classical masterpieces. I think that would also be something I'd be looking for.

I wouldn't have dared to ask about younger lodges. That would seem to me to be incredibly rude. I did call an uncle afterwards and ask him privately about some other lodges with some younger men.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Also forgot to add a thing about the dues, which I won't mention specifically, 'cause I'd imagine they may vary by jurisdiction.

There are yearly dues, as to be expected, plus a "passage fee" with each degree, which I did not expect. There also seems to be some instruction time I would have to undertake before each degree - something I also did not expect - I thought I would just show up, and the ritual would be done.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Hello fellow ATS member .

First off i would like to say that this is an interesting thread and that i have awarded you a star and a flag

Second of all , i had abit of a giggle at the fact that the floor made your eyes screwy .
Did you know that there is a special meaning behind that floor pattern ?
As a matter of fact nearly everything in there has a meaning behind it , i recommend searching the net for these meanings as they are absolutely fascinating .
One of the best ways to find out these certain things is to take it upon yourself to search the net for them .
There are some things there which the answers to are not that easy to get the members to tell you .
So yes, heed my advice because it seems you are an interested person in regards to this subject .

Did you know that there are actually a fair few members here on Abovetopsecret.com that are actually part of the Freemason membership ? There are even a couple of very high ranking ones .
It isn't that hard to figure who they are out either , just go to the secret societies forum and have a look at some of the Freemason threads you will figure out who they are pretty quickly , either by admission or .. Otherwise ..

So provided you take part in what i am suggesting , you are in for some very interesting, fascinating and potentially eye opening reading .

I wish you good luck in your quest for knowledge and i will be watching this thread .

Thank you for your time .

Omega

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I'm aware of (at least can guess) that there is symbolism in the floor pattern. I think that what made my reaction to the pattern so pronounced was that the entire room had that floor pattern, where I've seen other rooms (in photos online) where only the center portion of the room has the checkerboard pattern.

I'm also aware of a few of the members on ATS who are Freemasons (Appak - deceased, and Masonic Light are two that I recall off the top of my head., but I've been off ATS for about five years, and just now coming back. Perhaps I'll run into them again?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Wrong thread...
edit on 6-6-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Glad to see you visited a Lodge, and were made to feel welcome. Best of luck on your future endeavors, keep us updated.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The black and white tiled floor represents the light and darkness (or good and evil) in the world. In order for a mason to reach the blazing star (or light) at his center, represented by the altar, it is necessary for him to walk through both the good and bad parts of life in order to discern what is true and righteous.

It's pretty rare nowadays for a lodge to have the checkered floor but it's coming back in to popularity.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Here is a good account from Masonic Dictionary

The mosaic pavement is an old symbol of the Order. It is met with in the earliest Rituals of the eighteenth century. It is classed among the ornaments of the Lodge in combination with the indented tassel and the blazing star. Its parti-colored stones of black and white have been readily and appropriately interpreted as symbols of the evil and good of human life.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

This particular floor also had some "steps" superimposed upon the pattern - some lettering, then I recall the following words: Tuscan, Doric, Ionic, Corinthian (the last three I assume referring to types of columns? Dragging out old memories from my History of Architecture university course...). Then there was a "landing", then off to the words: Geometry, Music, Philosphy?, and some others which I can't quite recall.

Along the walls were photos of the past WMs of the lodge for the past 100+ years.

edit on 6-6-2012 by Zhenyghi because: spelling

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Yep the five columns each have meaning. Ionic, Doric and Tuscan are the three basic types, and Corinthian and Composite are derived from the first three.

Here are some quotes from Mackey's Encyclopedia of Freemasonry:

An order in architecture is a system or assemblage of parts subject to certain uniform established proportions regulated by the office which such part has to perform, so that the disposition, in a peculiar form, of the members and ornaments, and the proportion of the columns and pilasters, is called an order.

There are five orders of architecture, the Doric, Ionic, Corinthian, Tuscan, and Composite-the first three being of Greek and the last two of Italian origin (see each in this work under its respective title).

Considering that the orders of architecture must have constituted one of the most important subjects of contemplation to the Operative Masons of the Middle Ages, and that they afforded a fertile source for their symbolism, it is strange that so little allusion is made to them in the primitive lectures and in the earliest catechisms of the eighteenth century.

In the earliest catechism extant, they are simply enumerated and said to answer "to the base, perpendicular, diameter, circumference, and square" but no explanation is given of this reference. Nor sire they referred to in the Legend of the Craft, or in any of the Old Constitutions.

Preston however, introduced them into his system of lectures, and designated the three most ancient orders-the Ionic, Doric, and Corinthian-as symbols of wisdom, strength, and beauty, and referred them to the three original Grand Masters. This symbolism has ever since been retained; and, notwithstanding the reticence of the earlier ritualists, there is abundant evidence, in the architectural remains of the Middle Ages, that it was known to the old Operative Freemasons.

These are, of course, general descriptions that are explained further in the degree work. One of the fun (but frustrating) things about masonic ritual is that usually only vague explanations are given and it is up to the individual to decide the true meaning.

The other things you mention refer to the "Seven Liberal Arts and Sciences". Numbers are very important to masons, as well as geometry. You will see the numbers 3, 5 and 7 often in ritual.

In the Middle Ages operative masons refused to remain simply a labor union. They encouraged members to partake in the educational system, which at that time taught the seven Liberal Arts and Sciences.

An ancient Masonic text, The Ahiman Rezon gives a little poetic explanation:

"The grammer rules instruct the tongue and pen,

Rhetoric teaches eloquence to men;

By logic we are taught to reason well,

Music has claims beyond our power to tell;

The use of numbers, numberless we find;

Geometry gives measure to mankind.

The heavenly system elevates the mind.

All those, and many secrets more,

The Masons taught in days of yore."

Haywood, in his work Symbolical Masonry, speculates that operative masons (actual stonemasons) always sought to improve themselves through these seven arts and sciences so that they could bring a degree of reason and humanity to their lives.

He explains:

During the so-called Dark Ages what few scholars there were in Europe devoted themselves almost entirely to studies that had little or no connection with human life; they debated such questions as, What are the attributes of Deity? What are angels? What are demons? What is being? What is existence? How many angels can stand on the point of a needle? etc.

After the great Revival of Learning had come, with its rediscovery of history, of nature, of human life, and of classical literature, the scholars turned from the old subjects to themes that were nearer to life—history, the arts, science, politics, and so on.

The men who took up these studies were called Humanists because they were more interested in questions related to the life and needs of humanity than they were to the dry-as-dust discussion of metaphysics; and they urged in favour of their new studies that they would "humanise" men who would pursue them.

edit on 6/6/12 by emsed1 because: i did bad speling

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

So they didn't tie you down and mind control you, huh?

Guess that's another conspiracy theory I can lay to rest.

The tile is everywhere right now btw, you don't have to go to a lodge to see it....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join