It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus appears transparent during transit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Hello all. I have been watching the Venus transit across the Sun this afternoon. I noticed in several clips, such as the one below, that Venus appears almost transparent or transluscent as it crosses the edge of the Sun.
Can anyone give me a reason why it would appear like this?

Thanks!
Venus Crosses the Sun

Another one:

Venus Over Sun's Hellfire
edit on 5-6-2012 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

Because Venus is so close to the sun and so small that the light from the sun wraps around Venus and "bleeds" out the rim. Theres absolutely nothing magical about it..... Only common behaviour of light.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

Not only that, but the camera that's observing the sun is always trained on it in the exact same spot. I would suspect that small arc of light in the silhouette of venus is simply an artifact resulting from some sort of burn in on the sensor. Combining the light bloom from and the sensor burnout makes for a delightful sounding, yet totally hypothetical answer.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I wouldn't know CAUSE I MISSED IT DUE TO RAIN! Whaaaahhhhhh

LOL I am so bummed now I have to live another 105 years to see it again!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

You know, I got to see it. I admit, it was not all that exciting for me. I heard on the radio that you could take 5 film negatives, stack them on top of each other and look through that...It worked nicely...

But with my naked eye combined with the film negatives...I could barely make out Venus...And I do mean barely.

Anyway, as has been said, the light wrapped around Venus creating an illusion of it being transparent..But it is nothing out of the ordinary, as far as I know.

So, for what that is worth.
edit on 5-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies..I thought the effect gave it a pretty neat appearance!
Sorry to those that missed it..maybe next time..oh, wait..

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
reply to post by flice

Not only that, but the camera that's observing the sun is always trained on it in the exact same spot. I would suspect that small arc of light in the silhouette of venus is simply an artifact resulting from some sort of burn in on the sensor. Combining the light bloom from and the sensor burnout makes for a delightful sounding, yet totally hypothetical answer.

Bingo, the technical term for this is quantum efficiency hysteresis. This occurs due to back side charge accumulation (www.stsci.edu... - the front-side illuminated ccd referred to here does not belong to SDO). SDO's AIA CCDs are indeed back-illuminated CCDs (www.springerlink.com... ) and are therefore vulnerable to this problem.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
....also, it's not in "real time", it shows a conglomerations of time elapsed photos and we do get optical illusions due to that ...as well as what was said right above this ^

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
That's because NASA was only using a laser pointer.

It just looked way too perfect.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
What a chill came off the full video on that link. But feel like the defenses are up, seems this isn't going the route they all want, but that is just inner knowing so its my belief. Keep getting defenses were up in full.

www.space.com...
edit on 6-6-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm not aware to the exact setup they use, but seeing through objects is extremely easy for anyone to do with just their body parts and eyes. If you've ever been watching TV while laying down, and you have one eye blocked by whatever while the other can see things clearly because you're too lazy to sit up or whatever reason, you could swear you have see through body parts. It's real easy to do just place your hand in front of your left or right eye while reading this. I'm looking through my middle finger as I type this.

Just saying, pretty sure technology can pull it off too, even unintentionally. I come to expect NASA to touch things up to make them more appealing to the masses so they can keep getting funding. Hard to care to fund space stuffs if all we ever see is borrrrring. Of course it depends who you ask. Others will say they do it to hide a truth that they wish were true for some odd reason. To me it's just business as usual. But people could stand to learn that technology will never be as good as our eyes, which are perfect for the job they do.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
For those who missed it ...

[Ultra-HD] Transit of Venus 2012 - NASA Heliophysics

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
When I said I had this strong message inside, when I saw that video, that the defenses were up, very little got in, well isn't it something, it was transparent.
For the Light!!!! For Love and Goodness, Equality for all humanity and down with NWO darkside plans and this special marker for their goals.

top topics

join