It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I crashed my car tonight...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I decided to go to the store and buy some snacks tonight and on the way there i hit a deer going about 50 miles an hour..

I'm so sad i killed the deer and totaled the whole front end of my car..I reported it to the police and had the car towed to the auto body shop of course they were closed so i have to call them in the morning..

I'm so upset i properly wont be able to sleep tonight..I hate killing an animal like that the car can be fixed but the poor deer I'm just in tears over this
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Deer kill a lot of people, looking at the bright side of things often helps. Be happy you can live to sleep and not sleeping forever!

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 1.5 million car accidents with deer each year that result in $1 billion in vehicle damage, about 150 human fatalities, and over 10,000 personal injuries. The actual numbers are probably higher because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's figures for deer accidents, rely on inconsistent state reporting- there is no standard reporting of deer accidents in the country yet, and a "reportable deer accident" varies significantly between states. In an insurance claims statistics study conducted in 2004-2005 the top ten states for deer accidents were listed. According to this study, Pennsylvania drivers experience more deer collisions than any other state. The number of accidents increases with the deer migrating and mating season which occurs between the months of October and December. Worst states for deer collisions based on total number of claims filed with one of the countries largest auto insurers: 1) Pennsylvania 2) Michigan 3) Illinois 4) Ohio 5) Georgia 6) Minnesota 7) Virginia 8) Indiana 9) Texas 10) Wisconsin Tips to avoid deer accidents: 1) Be attentive when driving! And Slow Down! 2) Use high-beam headlights when driving in deer territory to increase your vision and will increase your time to react to a deer hiding on the roadside who decides to jump in front of your car. 3) The use of car-mounted 'deer whistles,' do not seem to affect deer and may result in drivers being less aware. These devices don't work! Watch out! 4) If a collision with a deer is unavoidable, it is usually best not to swerve to avoid it, brake and hold the wheel straight. Turning the wheel to avoid the deer may result in a worse accident with another car, or cause the car to spin out of control resulting a in much more serious crash.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I am so sorry to hear that Sugarcookie. I hope you are not hurt (physically), I know emotionaly you are down. I know the feeling, I am a hunter but when I hit an elk several years ago I was devastated. It is different for me when a majestic animal dies for no purpose rather than if it is helping to feed my family.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

Deer kill a lot of people, looking at the bright side of things often helps. Be happy you can live to sleep and not sleeping forever!

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 1.5 million car accidents with deer each year that result in $1 billion in vehicle damage, about 150 human fatalities, and over 10,000 personal injuries. The actual numbers are probably higher because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's figures for deer accidents, rely on inconsistent state reporting- there is no standard reporting of deer accidents in the country yet, and a "reportable deer accident" varies significantly between states. In an insurance claims statistics study conducted in 2004-2005 the top ten states for deer accidents were listed. According to this study, Pennsylvania drivers experience more deer collisions than any other state. The number of accidents increases with the deer migrating and mating season which occurs between the months of October and December. Worst states for deer collisions based on total number of claims filed with one of the countries largest auto insurers: 1) Pennsylvania 2) Michigan 3) Illinois 4) Ohio 5) Georgia 6) Minnesota 7) Virginia 8) Indiana 9) Texas 10) Wisconsin Tips to avoid deer accidents: 1) Be attentive when driving! And Slow Down! 2) Use high-beam headlights when driving in deer territory to increase your vision and will increase your time to react to a deer hiding on the roadside who decides to jump in front of your car. 3) The use of car-mounted 'deer whistles,' do not seem to affect deer and may result in drivers being less aware. These devices don't work! Watch out! 4) If a collision with a deer is unavoidable, it is usually best not to swerve to avoid it, brake and hold the wheel straight. Turning the wheel to avoid the deer may result in a worse accident with another car, or cause the car to spin out of control resulting a in much more serious crash.

Mamatus
Thats true i am lucky the deer could have killed me..I didn't think about it that way..But like i said i just hate killing an animal like that..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
I am so sorry to hear that Sugarcookie. I hope you are not hurt (physically), I know emotionaly you are down. I know the feeling, I am a hunter but when I hit an elk several years ago I was devastated. It is different for me when a majestic animal dies for no purpose rather than if it is helping to feed my family.

mileysubet
I also hunt. But when i do its for the meat to get me through the winter ..But hitting this beautiful deer just tore me apart..Then i looked at my car and just cried its just totaled..Im fine my wrist hurts but i think it was from the impact.. peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

As an animal lover myself, I know how upsetting an incident like this can be. At the speed you were travelling, I doubt that the deer will have suffered...

P.s..

I,ve had quite a few dogs, loved them all, and as each grew old, and their " quality of life " was disappearing, I had to make a decision about having them put to sleep. This was / is always upsetting, and I guess I felt pretty much the way you do now. Time does heal...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith

As an animal lover myself, I know how upsetting an incident like this can be. At the speed you were travelling, I doubt that the deer will have suffered...

P.s..

I,ve had quite a few dogs, loved them all, and as each grew old, and their " quality of life " was disappearing, I had to make a decision about having them put to sleep. This was / is always upsetting, and I guess I felt pretty much the way you do now. Time does heal...

MrJohnSmith
The deer didn't suffer she died on impact..The deer leaped out in front of me i didn't even have time to slam on the breaks and it was a big deer it totaled the whole front end of my car I'm not sure it can even be fixed at this point..thanks for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

You hit a deer going 50 miles an hour? That's a fast deer.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're ok. Don't feel bad about the deer. Stuff happens and deer are not the brightest critters in the woods. I don't like driving at night through the countryside because you never know when one of those things will jump in front of you.

Best wishes to you.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

You hit a deer going 50 miles an hour? That's a fast deer.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're ok. Don't feel bad about the deer. Stuff happens and deer are not the brightest critters in the woods. I don't like driving at night through the countryside because you never know when one of those things will jump in front of you.

Best wishes to you.

N3k9Ni
The deer are just nuts around here we are over populated with them right now..I'm just hoping she didn't have any fawns hidden away because they wont make it without her..

I don't like driving at night either i live in the countryside also and this happens allot i just wish it didn't happen to me
thanks for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
What a horrible thing to happen! I am so sorry! I have not hit many animals but I can tell you each one, and I cried over each one. It is going to haunt you for a while. One thing I think of is that maybe the animal had some sort of disease and a quick death saved them from suffering.

I am so glad your all right! I know your not all right emotionally (hugs)!

Your car

Again, so sorry Sugarcookie, things will not look quite so bad in the light of day, hang on honey.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about the deer and your car but we're all glad that you're ok.
Accidents happen, you can't blame yourself.
Maybe buy some of those ultrasonic warning devices for your next car.
When you drive do try to scan the sides of the road for critters, keeping your high beams on when you can will also help you spot them sooner.
There's always certain areas where animals seem to cross the road.
Make mental note of it and perhaps drive a little slower.

I'm grateful to have avoided hitting anything larger than a bird over the last 30 years of driving.
I'll have to admit to hitting a screech owl in the road (it looked like a paper bag in the rain). I felt so bad about it I hiked 3 miles up my favorite mountain to bury it at the top.
Maybe you should do a little ceremony for the deer in whatever way you feel led to do as well.

Remember that nothing in nature goes to waste - that deer's death means life for other creatures.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'm glad to hear you are okay physically. I can imagine how upsetting this is for you.

In our town, deer that are hit by cars are given to families for food. There's a sign-up list for families who are interested, and strict guidelines concerning when the deer died (for health reasons). Perhaps your area has something similar?

Hugs to you.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

So long as the bladder or intestines aren't ruptured the meat is still good.
I've brought home more than a little venison this way.
Besides, leaving them near the road only encourages other animals like raccoons, opossums and coyotes to scavenge the carcass where they in turn become roadkill as well,

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

My deepest sympathies!

When you get your next vehicle please consider gettting some animal deterent devices fitted!

ShuRoo [carscene.com.au]

AustHOBI (reviews) [austhobi.com]

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps. Get well soon!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about your accident. The best thing though is that you are OK. I hope it doesn't effect you too much. I had an accident last week, when I accidently clipped a parked car. I didn't do much damage but put me off driving for a few days.

Must have been quite a shock to hit a deer.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yes, quite a few of our families get venison this way. I think it's great. Helping families in need and moving the carcass so other animals aren't collateral damage.

In the Appalachins (where I'm from) this type of meat is a big bonus for some families, who otherwise can't afford to buy a lot of meat.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It's not your fault honey. That would have upset me as well being an animal lover, but these things happen sometimes. Thank God that you are alive. Hugs!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
What a horrible thing to happen! I am so sorry! I have not hit many animals but I can tell you each one, and I cried over each one. It is going to haunt you for a while. One thing I think of is that maybe the animal had some sort of disease and a quick death saved them from suffering.

I am so glad your all right! I know your not all right emotionally (hugs)!

Your car

Again, so sorry Sugarcookie, things will not look quite so bad in the light of day, hang on honey.

Hi Iamschist
I'm doing fine
It just upset me for a bit.. Tomorrow I'm going car shopping i hope i can find a car that i like the one that got smashed i only had for 2 years and i loved it but i cant sit and dwell on something thats out of my hands..I just feel bad i had to kill the poor animal but it happens around hear allot and hugs back to you
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Sorry to hear about the deer and your car but we're all glad that you're ok.
Accidents happen, you can't blame yourself.
Maybe buy some of those ultrasonic warning devices for your next car.
When you drive do try to scan the sides of the road for critters, keeping your high beams on when you can will also help you spot them sooner.
There's always certain areas where animals seem to cross the road.
Make mental note of it and perhaps drive a little slower.

I'm grateful to have avoided hitting anything larger than a bird over the last 30 years of driving.
I'll have to admit to hitting a screech owl in the road (it looked like a paper bag in the rain). I felt so bad about it I hiked 3 miles up my favorite mountain to bury it at the top.
Maybe you should do a little ceremony for the deer in whatever way you feel led to do as well.

Remember that nothing in nature goes to waste - that deer's death means life for other creatures.

Asktheanimals
I'm going car shopping tomorrow they totaled my car it was a huge deer and it smashed in the whole front end and folded part of the hood like a taco ..

I was going the speed limit the poor deer was down in a deep ditch when it leaped out i didn't even have time to put on my breaks the police man said i was lucky it didn't come through my windshield..

I said a prayer for the deer the city came and took it off the road were they took it after that i don't know..But thanks for posting..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: S&F!

My deepest sympathies!

When you get your next vehicle please consider gettting some animal deterent devices fitted!

ShuRoo [carscene.com.au]

AustHOBI (reviews) [austhobi.com]

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps. Get well soon!

OmegaLogos
Thanks for posting..I'm going to checkers tomorrow they have those devices there and when i get my new car i will have those put on to it..I'm doing ok now i was just really shook up over it all..peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join