It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry told - take wife out of spotlight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I don't think Terry Kerry is going to go along with this.
I bet she isn't used to taking orders from people, even
when those people are there to help her and her husband.

I disagree with the article that her being 'foreign born' would
be harmful to her husband. I see that as a non-issue. Does
anyone really care where a First Lady is from? Not me. No
one I know would care. (But perhaps I'm out of touch)

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2004/10/03/wus03.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/03/ixworld.html

Excerpt -

telegraph.co.uk
By Philip Sherwell in Miami
Oct 3, 2004

Democratic election advisers have ordered Teresa Heinz Kerry to adopt a lower profile in the final stages of the campaign by her husband, Senator John Kerry, for the White House because they fear that she may be alienating voters.

Mrs Heinz Kerry, who as the heiress to the Heinz fortune is one of the world's richest women, has been told to keep out of the spotlight because her outspoken and unpredictable manner is regarded as an electoral liability.

Mr Kerry drafted veterans of the Clinton White House, including the former press secretary Joe Lockhart, into his team last month to reinvigorate his campaign. They warned that his wife appeared to be costing him votes and have instructed Mrs Heinz Kerry - who was born in Africa to Portuguese parents - to confine herself to mostly low-key events with only small numbers of voters.

"Teresa simply does not come across well to the general public," said a female Democrat strategist. "Part of that is a suspicion of her foreign roots, I'm afraid. But it's also her manner that puts people off and that has been very frustrating. So now her job is to speak to specific and carefully-chosen groups rather than general campaigning."

[edit on 10/3/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The only surprise to me is that it has taken them so long to act on this problem.

They would have been better served grooming her before the campaign to come across in a positive light. It's a no brainer they dropped the ball on.

Just hope if Kerry wins his advisors in office would be a little better at what they do than this.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'm also surprised that it has taken so long. Teresa is a liability because of the way she runs her mouth. I have to say, I'm offended that they think that her nationality has ANY effect on the way I feel about her. I could care less about her nationality. It's her choice of words that show she is not First Lady material!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think that She needs to be campaigning even more for her husband and let the American people see what kind of First Lday they'll be in store for if Kerry should get the job (which he's not).

If anything, the American people should be asking, "What are his advisors doing advising Kerry to keep her out of the spotlight?"

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I've always thought she was a liability, but not for her foreign roots. It's her mouth, and her inability to contain herself. If she seems too influential with him, people will be worried about a co-presidency and it could cost him votes that he otherwise might have gotten. They're definitely late out of the gate on this one, but they've been so focused on Viet Nam I'm surprised they've had time to comment on or even consider the Iraq war.

new topics

top topics

join