It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEST (Foreign Emergency Support Team)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by boomer135
reply to post by gariac

Actually the max takeoff weight of the C-32 is about 255k and the max landing weight for the 757 with the absolute best engines that they put on it, dry runway, flaps 30, sea level, the works is around 210k....

source: www.boeing.com... go to complete document, then page 70. So I would think they would have to dump if something happened just to land.

Looks like there is a table on page 9. Page 70 was turning radius. It does look like they would have to dump some fuel.

Listening to Red Flag audio, and I assume in general, if you have the time, they prefer you burn off the fuel. Occasionally a fighter takes on too much fuel and requests to dump it. Now mind you if I dumped a gallon of gas, it would require an EPA investigation and a potential stay at GITMO, while a jet can dump a few thousand pounds if need be. ;-)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

That's odd, i checked again, and it was page 70 on my copy. kinda weird. lol. But yes the preferred method is to burn the fuel off instead of dumping. we only dump in emergency situations, and of course they want you to go to non-populated areas above 10000 feet or something like that. The KC-135 burns about 10,000 pounds of fuel an hour in normal operations. However, if we drop to like 10000 feet and drop the gear and flaps, we can get that up to 25,000 pounds an hour. We took off max weight once (about 195,000 lbs of fuel) and our rule of thumb was to get under 80k for landing (jet was appx 120k). They wouldn't let us dump because it wasn't a dire emergency, so we had to circle and burn the fuel off. took about five hours to do!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
02-4452 landed at Reno today (6/16/2012).

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join