It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Devices "Like Crystal Prisons"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I actually am loathe usually to use FOX NEWS as a source, but this article was pretty good

www.foxnews.com...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apple’s recent products, especially their mobile iOS devices, are like beautiful crystal prisons, with a wide range of restrictions imposed by the OS, the hardware, and Apple’s contracts with carriers as well as contracts with developers,” the EFF’s Micah Lee and Peter Eckersley wrote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article goes on to say that people can escape these "prisons" with jailbroken phones, but I contend that even with a jailbroken phone, you are still restricted by the carriers.

I would say that the true is same of any cell phone in general, not just Apple. People have become slaves to their electronics.
edit on 30-5-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

They make sure of this so you have to take it in and get them repaired from the Apple store which is robbery in my eyes. I fix my own computers, but this is why I never want to buy Apple products that I may have to fix or upgrade. They are overrated, and overpriced. I think its time for people to stop biting the Apple. Good thread

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
To describe some one who merely enjoys the conveniences of technology a slave is pretty harsh. For most people, technological innovations greatly improve their lives. They are simple to use, powerful, and make so many tedious tasks easier to perform. I think every human being should have the privilege of a device that opens the world to them. Knowledge and comforts that we take for granted, would appear unimaginable to most humans on earth. Given that the majority of humans on this panet are living in scarce poverty and hunger, we are living like kings. Hell, even great kings of the past would dream of having the power we have in the palm of our hands.

Through these devices, we are actually interacting with each other more than ever. Compared to previous generations, our sphere of social interaction has increased a million fold with these types of innovations. One should be allowed the pleasure of enjoying such powerful technology without being labeled a slave to it.
edit on 30-5-2012 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

People have become slave to their electronics. I almost ran down a slave the other day. They walked texting right into traffic. I saw em coming and even though I had the right away, I stopped ahead of time. Good thing. I wonder what the stats are these days for "spacing" Text Bots?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
It certainly does seem like people have become slaves to their electronics, and now almost exclusively operate in this alternate cyber-world where certain important skills of socialization concerning body language, facial expressions, timing, intonation, emotion perception, etc. are no longer being utilized and cultivated, and are replaced with abbreviations and false representations of personality. People aren't looking around at the world around them and seeing how amazing and mysterious it is. To be fair, the obsession with social media and the technology that goes with it seems to root from the universal human compulsion to connect with other human beings, which is itself a pretty great thing. I think the problem is that people are distancing themselves from themselves, and are navigating the social world via personas that only exist in the cyber-world, personas that they've created themselves, at the expense of their personal development.

That being said, cell phones are incredible. 200 years ago, you could make someone's head explode with the capabilities that we have in our pockets, and it's good to keep that in perspective. We're incredibly lucky to be living at a time where we get to use cool gadgets like this, and as long as we stay mindful, and don't let ourselves get sucked into cyber-personas, I don't think too much harm can come.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

Hell, even great kings of the past would dream of having the power we have in the palm of our hands.

No, Kings had more power. If they were around today, they wouldn't feel the need to instagram their latest meal from a restaurant. An iPhone would be nearly worthless to them, besides giving decrees to off the next man's head.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS

They make sure of this so you have to take it in and get them repaired from the Apple store which is robbery in my eyes. I fix my own computers, but this is why I never want to buy Apple products that I may have to fix or upgrade. They are overrated, and overpriced. I think its time for people to stop biting the Apple. Good thread

thats not true, atleast partially. you can get certified by apple and fix them in your store. i have a friend who works out a local speaker shop fixing iphones and other i.stuff. he gets all his parts from apple and they're cool with it.

and even then you can buy off brand parts for the iphone off ebay n # and fix it yourself
edit on 30-5-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

you can get certified by apple and fix them in your store.

Ok well I didn't have to get certified by anyone to fix my own s#. So you have to work in store that is certified by Apple to fix Apple products? Sorry, that is wrong.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

They make sure of this so you have to take it in and get them repaired from the Apple store which is robbery in my eyes. I fix my own computers

Dunno about that, everyone of my apple products that I have owed that ever had a problem I was able to fix on my own... Not that hard actually, just a little bit above standard PC repair due to the form factor making it harder, but again not impossible.

Although my brother had someone spill a soda on his MAC book, he took it in to the apple store to see how much it would cost to fix it, He left it with them and when he went to go get the quote they handed him back a repaired laptop free of charge.

He even got the invoices that quoted 1400 in repairs waved for replacement of mother board and memory.

Damn those high way robbers...
edit on 30-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

you are still restricted by the carriers.

meh you are only limited by your own technical skill, My brother is using his jailbroken Iphone 4s on a straight talk plan unlimited everything for 45 a month, sure beats most carriers iPhone plans and its a pre pay, just gotta know what your doing.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Hell, even great kings of the past would dream of having the power we have in the palm of our hands.

No, Kings had more power. If they were around today, they wouldn't feel the need to instagram their latest meal from a restaurant. An iPhone would be nearly worthless to them, besides giving decrees to off the next man's head.

LOL I was thinking... wtf is he talking about... It takes you 5 minutes to click here and there and cash out and # plus 15 minutes of wait for a friggen pizza...

Back then the king snapped his fingers and a fking buffet rushed in triple pace...

But I agree that the restrictions are getting stupid... If I pay 500$ for a stupid phone I should have the right to use it as I see fit... Not like Joe Blow that made it believe that I should... I didn't put restrictions on the money I gave him why should he put restrictions on the product he gave me...
edit on 30-5-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012
Compared to previous generations, our sphere of social interaction has increased a million fold with these types of innovations. One should be allowed the pleasure of enjoying such powerful technology without being labeled a slave to it.

you're kidding, right? social interaction has increased a million fold? Maybe with electronics.

Put your average teenager in a room with 9 of their peers, take away all their electronics, and I bet they wouldn't be able to interact with each other for 5 minutes.

The veil of "the most social generation in history" is a thin one at best. It's hilarious to me that the generation with the best communication with each other in the history of this planet and the most access to information of any generation before it couldn't interact with each other if they tried, and are the first generation in history that are going to be stupider and poorer than their parents,.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

you are still restricted by the carriers.

meh you are only limited by your own technical skill, My brother is using his jailbroken Iphone 4s on a straight talk plan unlimited everything for 45 a month, sure beats most carriers iPhone plans and its a pre pay, just gotta know what your doing.

He's still on a plan, still restricted by the carrier he's on.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

its a prepay...

I don't know how much more freedom you want than that... far as I know theres no magical free bandwidth out there that does all the same as cellular...

I mean you could always wifi it and skype but really...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

What would take a King hundreds of envoy's, death defying journeys,and months (sometimes years) of time to accomplish, I can do in less than a minute. I think he would agree with me, that is a hell of a lot of power to have in one's hands.

edit on 31-5-2012 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Compared to previous generations, our sphere of social interaction has increased a million fold with these types of innovations. One should be allowed the pleasure of enjoying such powerful technology without being labeled a slave to it.

you're kidding, right? social interaction has increased a million fold? Maybe with electronics.

Put your average teenager in a room with 9 of their peers, take away all their electronics, and I bet they wouldn't be able to interact with each other for 5 minutes.

The veil of "the most social generation in history" is a thin one at best. It's hilarious to me that the generation with the best communication with each other in the history of this planet and the most access to information of any generation before it couldn't interact with each other if they tried, and are the first generation in history that are going to be stupider and poorer than their parents,.

You seem to look at people as generally dumb, unsociable brainwashed zombies. Most people, in my opinion, are generally responsible and pretty appreciative of being able to take advantage of these technologies. Whatever the use we individually deem fit, these devices make it easier to do.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

What would take a King hundreds of envoy's, death defying journeys,and months (sometimes years) of time to accomplish, I can do in less than a minute. I think he would agree with me, that is a hell of a lot of power to have in one's hands.

So you conquered a land recently did you? You are a peasant, sorry.

You don't have power in your hands, you have novelty. It was a big deal in the past because only a king could accomplish certain things. There is an equivalent today to their past feats, but i assure you it isn't loading an app on an iPhone.
edit on 31-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

You seem to look at people as generally dumb, unsociable brainwashed zombies. Most people, in my opinion, are generally responsible and pretty appreciative of being able to take advantage of these technologies. Whatever the use we individually deem fit, these devices make it easier to do.

You realize what marketing is right? People sit in rooms thinking up what will appeal to people, or what people will buy into. That is the definition of brainwashed zombie...

join