It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan firm unveils radiation-gauging smartphone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

AFP - Mobile phone operator Softbank on Tuesday unveiled a smartphone that can measure radiation as consumers in Japan clamour for reassurance following last year's Fukushima nuclear disaster.

The latest model in the firm's Pantone series comes complete with a sensor that enables users to see at the touch of a button how much radiation they are being exposed to.

The phone, which the company is putting on general sale from July, can also keep a record of exposure in every location the phone has been to, Softbank said in a statement, adding that it can detect gamma rays in a range of 0.05-9.99 microsieverts per hour.

Source

Awww! Isnt this nice! A built in Geiger counter for your phone!

Now you, yes YOU, can see how often and at what levels you are being exposed to radiation, yay! Poor world.. Fukushima is releasing radiation like crazy still and with more and more of it being covered in MSM..thats a good thing. The problem is, is it too late?!

If you had this phone in North america, how often would you check your app? If i had it and lived in Japan (which i wouldn't.. I woula get outta there asap!) i don't think i would ever turn it off!
I wonder if it has an alarm of something that goes off and/or options to send location information along with radiation levels to some sort of authority?

Thoughts?!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

This is one of the more useful types of apps. Just don't become complacent about a negative finding, since this app includes gamma testing only. For example, as the following link shows, Cesium-137 is a radioactive isotope that emits beta as well as gamma radiation; cesium has a half-life of 30 years...a total life of 300 years:

epa.gov...

join