It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY shampoo/ whats in commenrcial shampoo?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
o hi there. have you done your yoga today. bet your feeling pretty cool with your self.
all those 20 chemicals from your shampoo deep inside you. Isnt it funny?
that you BELIEVE that you NEED 20 chemicals just to clean a hair?
Bet you think all of those ingredients are needed to keep your hair clean and nice?
What about when you learn that there is only 1 active ingredient, the rest are fillers, thickeners, stabilizers, colorings, emulsifiers, preservatives and god knows what.
Let me tell you about lauryl sulfate/ laureath sulfate - a chemical. some people claim its a carcinogen.
trust me its not the only one in your shampoo. the fda and "doctors" will tell you its safe but can you trust them?
is it LOGICAL for 20 chemicals to enter through your skin, on your head....and to think that they are all safe, there is nothing wrong with letting them enter your skin every week, twice or thrice?
that there will be no side effects?

How many of you suffer from dandruff, only to try 20 different doctor shampoos and still have it.
The only thing coming close to curing dandruff from the doctors is selenium sulphide (if i remember).

now lets see the ingredients of head&shoulders, keep in mind ALL shampoos in your store are pretty much the same:
Active ingredient: Pyrithione zinc 1% Inactive ingredients: water, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, cocamide MEA, zinc carbonate, glycol distearate, dimethicone, fragrance, cetyl alcohol, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, magnesium carbonate hydroxide, ammonium laureth sulfate, benzyl alcohol, sodium chloride, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, sodium xylenesulfonate, blue 1, red 4 The active ingredient in Clinical Strength Head & Shoulders is selenium sulfide, not pyrithione zinc.[1]

How about try to google and read some articles about each of those chemicals.
Now when you are ready to accept the truth here is my recipe for a daily shampoo that cures dandruff and is cheaper then any store one. no chemicals..no poisons....and no glycerine!
-----------------------------------
tea tree oil, nettle, rosemary, aloe vera, mint, ginkgo biloba
-> now you only need a thickener -> apple pectin/or/non gmo corn starch?/or/arabian gum?
lets go with apple pectin, a poor choice.
you put two spoons in 2 glasses of water, turn it kinda jelly, put the 2 spoons of each herb inside and make into tea.
-> add a spoon of apricot kernel oil and olive oil and you are done!

And hey, i dont even ask for your money, i dont want you to buy stuff for free or worship me.
just change your life, learn and live better!
We humans have the potential to be gods, yet most of us ..........like to sleep in the matrix.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Same with toothpaste. I believe toothpaste does more harm then good. I stopped using toothpaste and started to use my own baking soda mixture and I have seen my teeth get very white and healthy. I had a small bit of flurosis and now I can hardly see it. I only use it 3-6 times a week and its done more then any tooth paste I have used.

Just mix baking soda, fine salt, prickly ash bark, and peppermint powder.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by apporro

tea tree oil, nettle, rosemary, aloe vera, mint, ginkgo biloba
-> now you only need a thickener -> apple pectin/or/non gmo corn starch?/or/arabian gum?
lets go with apple pectin, a poor choice.
you put two spoons in 2 glasses of water, turn it kinda jelly, put the 2 spoons of each herb inside and make into tea.
-> add a spoon of apricot kernel oil and olive oil and you are done!

That's a mighty fancy mixture you got there. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, but was previously just using a baking soda/water mix for cleaning followed by a vinegar and water rise for conditioning...seemed to work well enough.

Props for the thread - definitely think we should all be a bit more careful with the wanton application of all sorts of chemicals. Now if I could just convince my girlfriend to think about things instead of just assuming I'm the odd one for not gladly accepting the offerings of companies who are *only* out to make money...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I don't use shampoo, just lemon juice. As for the poster that mentioned toothpaste: baking soda + hydrogen peroxide + peppermint oil.

Deodorant: equal parts baking soda and corn starch, a little bit of coconut oil and tea tree oil.

Face cream: bees wax melted with coconut oil and orange essential oil.

Cheap and good drain declogger: baking soda and vinnegar, pour it right over the drain. Never have to buy draino again.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
i know that feel bro...i know that feel when the girl thinks your crazy and you see her shower with industrial... th chemicals.... thats why im going to saudi arabia to buy a bride.

as for toothpaste, i have been experimenting trying to keep the mixture thick, but even with apple pectin, the water goes on top after a day and it hardens. glycerine is out of the question.
i should try arabian gum to keep the soda, salt,water and peppermint together.
i wonder if peppermint would in time make my teeth greeny...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
wont lemon juice make your hair blond in time?
how will the alkalization from the lemon juice affect your head? not sure but i think its a good idea, if we stop the skull skin from being so acidic, we may prevent dandruff and other stuff.
i think peroxide is a bit too much, what happens when we absorb it through our gums?
its corrosive after all.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
sodium sulfate is bad umkay

fact is, its in thousands of household products that we use everyday
shampoo, body soap, toothpaste, hand soap, household cleaners, etc etc...
you absorb it through your skin, sinuses, swallowing it.

in a matter of parts per million, America is swimming in this crap, and it why we have such genetic defects and cancer

sodium sulfate is a corrisive! it breaks things down. including your biological cell structure

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by apporro
as for toothpaste, i have been experimenting trying to keep the mixture thick, but even with apple pectin, the water goes on top after a day and it hardens. glycerine is out of the question.

I recommend using the age old tooth cleaner.... toothpicks

I only brush my teeth once a month or so to get rid of the staining from smoking and coffee

I clean my teeth with toothpicks after every meal and throughout the day to get rid of buildup
I haven't had a cavity in many many years

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
bro you are kidding right? you must wash your mouth with water at least twice a day!
you can always use soda and salt, or oil pull

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalisdad

I recommend using the age old tooth cleaner.... toothpicks

I only brush my teeth once a month or so to get rid of the staining from smoking and coffee

I clean my teeth with toothpicks after every meal and throughout the day to get rid of buildup
I haven't had a cavity in many many years

That's all fine and well, as long as you don't breathe anywhere in my direction. Brushing your teeth is not only good for your teeth, but also for others around you. Once a month is slightly on the light side.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
to hell with other people, brushing is good as long as you dont use store bought toothpaste.
just stick to soda/salt until i invent a better thing XD

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Everything is contaminated really. The shampoo and toothpaste are good examples but just look at your food intake, the products sold in your grocery store. I never buy anything without first dissecting the label and even though I often don't know 30% of the ingredients contained in the product, I can tell you that most of the stuff it contains is usually harmful for the body. Have you had your local water checked out yet? I did and got to the astonishing conclusion that my tap water has 6x the amount of iron it should contain. Water filtering system is the first priority on my list.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I just use baking soda for toothpaste.

I also make my own disenfectant wipes. 50/50 water & hydrogen peroxide. We add vanilla for scent but you could add any kind you want.

I also make my own clorox clean up. Gallon of water, bleach to your liking and 4 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid. Cut a roll of paper towels in half pull the core and I re-use old wipes bottles. Put the towels in and pour the liquid over them. I have a cleaning company and use them for my customers too. Staying as green as possible.

Saves a ton of money.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I use these products.

www.natures-gate.com...
www.natures-gate.com...
www.natures-gate.com...

And for toothpaste I use
www.drugstore.com...

Best products I've ever used and they're all natural organic.
edit on 25-5-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

bro you are kidding right? you must wash your mouth with water at least twice a day!
you can always use soda and salt, or oil pull

what makes you think I don't rinse my mouth regularly?
my point is that you can keep your mouth just as clean without using a bunch of corrosive chemicals

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
That's all fine and well, as long as you don't breathe anywhere in my direction. Brushing your teeth is not only good for your teeth, but also for others around you. Once a month is slightly on the light side.

why do you assume I have bad breath? my wife has never complained...
half the reason for bad breath is from food being left in the mouth, behind and between teeth, which is rotting and causing a foul odor.

I remove any food from between my teeth and from harder to reach spots(like behind my wisdom teeth) regularly throughout the day.

come on people.... yes dentistry is a marvel of science and has prolonged out lifes greatly... but its only been the past few decades that we've been poisoning ourselves with these chemicals.

1,000 years of cleaning without toothpast is proof enough for me that we don't need it.
the chemicals in toothpast is proof enough that I don't want to use it

and honestly, which is worse? years of my alternative cleaning methods which have had little downside, or you using caustic chemicals in your mouth 3 times a day like they tell you too??

don't forget your daily does of fluoride...

ETA the tongue is also a breeding ground for bacteria that causes bad breath.... I scrap mine regularly to avoid halitosis
edit on 25-5-2012 by kalisdad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
sorry man i just misunderstood you.
but you libertytoall!
these products do you see what they contain?
laureath....the PEG thing...all other chemicals.
just because it contains some herba it doesnt change the fact that it still contains poisons.
an all natural shampoo is one made ONLY with herbs, and you wont find one at a store.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
there are a few toothpastes that don't include any form of sodium sulfate... however they are extremely expensive.

I think Rembrant($7 per tube) doesn't have any, unless they changed their formula in the past 10 years

peroxide and baking soda is much safer that most of the commercial brans of toothpaste, however if misused it can also have detrimental effects

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

just because it contains some herba it doesnt change the fact that it still contains poisons.
an all natural shampoo is one made ONLY with herbs, and you wont find one at a store.

Actually this whole thread is rather misinformed. Herbs have chemicals in them. That is what makes them do what they do. You point out 20 chemicals then post your recipe which contains 10 ingredients.

The problem? Well, tea tree oil alone has more then 100 chemicals in it.

The M. alternifolia species is unique to Australia and native to Northern New South Wales. Tea tree oil contains over 100 components, mostly monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes and their alcohols.

List of a few:
α-Thujene
α-Pinene
Sabinene
β-Pinene
Myrcene
α-Phellandrene
α-Terpinene
p-Cymene
1,8-Cineole + β-phellandrene
Limonene
γ-Terpinene
Terpinolene
Terpinen-4-ol
α-Terpineol
Aromadendrene
Ledene (viridiflorene)
δ-Cadinene
Globulol
Viridiflorol

Looks just as chemically laced as any shampoo.
edit on 25-5-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by apporro

"Thank You to all", this has got to be the most Sensible, Worthwhile page of Facts that I have read for quite sometime. Please keep up the good work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join