It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US buys bargain priced Russian copters to give to Afghan forces.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
www.strategypage.com...

May 24, 2012: The U.S. Department of Defense has agreed to obtain another ten Mi-17 helicopters for Afghanistan, as part of American military aid. The U.S. has already bought, upgraded, and delivered over fifty Russian Mi-17s to Afghanistan. The Russian choppers have Western electronics installed and are often rebuilt to make them more reliable and durable.

This seems to be a two edged sword. They are what the Afghans want and can best use and they are cheap but I would still like to see that money and jobs stay domestic.

Do you accept it as smart or are you outraged?
edit on 24-5-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The US is borrowing money from China to buy Russian helicopters to give to Afghanistan.
What is wrong with this picture?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Strange indeed. We are probably selling them some of the same vintage helicopters that the Soviets once used against them.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think its a bad idea to arm Afghanistan, considering how it didn't work so well the first time.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Cant the bankers pay for the choppers with the dope money?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
www.strategypage.com...

May 24, 2012: The U.S. Department of Defense has agreed to obtain another ten Mi-17 helicopters for Afghanistan, as part of American military aid. The U.S. has already bought, upgraded, and delivered over fifty Russian Mi-17s to Afghanistan. The Russian choppers have Western electronics installed and are often rebuilt to make them more reliable and durable.

This seems to be a two edged sword. They are what the Afghans want and can best use and they are cheap but I would still like to see that money and jobs stay domestic.

Do you accept it as smart or are you outraged?
edit on 24-5-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

Can we really afford to arm them? I mean where does the stupidity end? We armed Saddam with poison gas; taught his toops how to use it and even provided material support directly for the gas attacks....

We have supported Pakistan when it was the elected government of PAK who funded and supported the Taliban overthrow of Afghanistan and while sending billions of dollars to PAK they built the worlds largest ploutonium producing plant in the world! No, theocratic regieme should have nukes.....

If our government is that stupid we are getting what we deserve!

Outrage doesn't begin to describe the way I feel......
edit on 25-5-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add content

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
i would assume the old soviet equipment being purchased is because it's rugged, simple to use and maintain, and spare parts are easy to find

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paladin327
i would assume the old soviet equipment being purchased is because it's rugged, simple to use and maintain, and spare parts are easy to find

This exactly on top of dirt cheap. Of course its junk but, it is good for dealing with rebels.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Why is the US buying them for Afghanistan? Think helicopters will be used to kill Terrorists?

Only way to STOP terrorism from spreading over there is to pull out, stop killing peoples family members and spend the billions in school and education. I swear to God that will work.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

That's the way we do business. It would be politically incorrect to give them our own gear, but buying old soviet gear is acceptable.

We've done this with lots, and lots..... And lots of countries, tribes, freedom fighters, ect.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Only way to STOP terrorism from spreading over there is to pull out, stop killing peoples family members and spend the billions in school and education. I swear to God that will work.

won't that only show the world and many small terrorist group that if they bloody the nose of the US enough they will turn and run? what will it accomplish if the us leaves afghanistan without the means for the current government to protect itself from threats from the inside which can be easily overthrown and harbor enemies of the united states once again?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
finance.yahoo.com...

Seems the company we are buying them from was "sanctioned" under Bush for providing equipment to Iran. The Obama administration lifted the ban against this company in 2010.

When this blows up in our faces will it be the same old "Bush's" fault" song and dance?

+ hate to revive such a long dead post but I noticed this article today and this thread popped up with search

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
These are medium twin-turbine transport helicopter and not heavy armed gun ships.

They would not last long if they attacks a US helicopter gun ship.

Yes you could put on door guns but without total air superiority they are target practice.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Now if they bought "HInds" that would be a different animal.It might happen if the opium flow gets interrupted.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The lack of airframes is one of the biggest gripes from the ANA. Airpower is the real thing that separates ISAF fron the Taliban. It allows for the transport of men and materials over long distance at speed. This is very important for CASEVAC in particular. A MI-17 HIP is a transport airframe, not a combat one.

Anything that gives them an edge when we leave reduces the chances of me having to go back there when the country breaks down again

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
One thing I have to reiterate is the Afghanis have been ousting invaders a long and successful time....
They seem determined above all. to do things the Afghan way.......(which is not like anything that makes sense to the likes of us.)
Give em helicopters or single shot rifles, they'll be ousting invaders to return to tribal warfare in between invasions.
, for some time to come...better believe it.

new topics

top topics

join