It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is saying bad words a sin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The Decalogue doesn't forbid using bad words. My mother and priests taugh me that saying bad words is a sin though - a light one but a sin. What's your opinion?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yes cursing is a sin against God.

James 3:9-12
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

1 Peter 3:10
For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

I agree with you and thanks for quoting those letters.
I will use it in a non-commercial article.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Moving this particular topic; it's more theological in nature than conspirical.
The topic can or will be found in BTS (BelowTopSecret), link at top of main page.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.

Wow thanx, I was really wondering about that too.
I just don't cuss because its polite you know?
but yeah now I really won't cuss ^.^ heh

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Basically everything these days can be turned into SOME sort of sin by the Church. A swear everyonce in a while, here or there, isnt gonna do no harm.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Basically everything these days can be turned into SOME sort of sin by the Church. A swear everyonce in a while, here or there, isnt gonna do no harm.

It�s not the Church telling us not to swear it�s the Bible. Christians attempt to live their lives according to the word of God. If you want to live as a good Christian you won�t swear, it�s that simple. Should we listen to the word of Dreamlandmafia or the word of God?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It�s not the Church telling us not to swear it�s the Bible. Christians attempt to live their lives according to the word of God. If you want to live as a good Christian you won�t swear, it�s that simple. Should we listen to the word of Dreamlandmafia or the word of God?

lol ^.^ just as I was thinking... but you said it!

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Since the word of something that does not exist cant have a word at all, id say mine.

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It simply lies in your faith. I have faith in God and his word and you have faith in yourself. This thread is dealing with faith in God, not faith in dreamlandmafia. I�m sorry to hear you don�t believe in God but in the end it is your choice. The words found in the bible are clear and I will attempt to abide by this word, all Christians should.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   

As evidenced by these quotes here, I do not believe saying cuss words in general is a sin. Afterall a word is just a word, it is the meaning behind the words that truely matters. Depending on the context in which the word is used it can take different meanings.

Most times cuss words are used in general conversations by people. There is no ill intent in choosing to use these words in these circumstances it is just habit. It is only when you use your words to intentionally hurt someone that it becomes a sin.

I think that is apparent from the quotes above.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Quite obviously Microsoft Windows Operating Systems hadn't been
invented when the bible was written. :bnghd:

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
poke around on the internet and discover where swear words came from, but for now, i'll shed a little light...

f word:
F- fornication
U- under
C- consent of the
K- king

s word:
S- ship
H- high
I- in
T- transit

b word:
female dog

a word:
donkey

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Lizard,
You sure it isn't meant by putting a curse on someone?

Cussing is more of an imperfection than a sin. Not very Christian like but, it won't damn you to hell. Using the Lord's name in vain is.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Language is a social construct; Words of foul denotion usualy facilitate a negatory reaction from others, and a very physical response is seen henceforth; this is why children, being the avid little attention seekers they are, repeat swears, they know it will warrant more attention from thier peers.

Swears are not sinfull, we simply assume certain words have a negatory meaning, but, in reality, using a word describing an act of sex can mean something highly spiritual, as the Kama Sutra dictates, or something of sinfull nature, as obvioulsy the Christian faith dictates.

The word "Fag" was once used to describe english ciggerates, yet, here in the west, we refer to homosexuals as fags.

Deep

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Curse words aren't a SIN. That's ridiculous.

Who defined whether or not a word was a "curse word" or not? I guess God said not to take his name in vain, but do you think he/she/it really cares if you say GD? No, God has bigger fish to fry, like murders and people who worship satan. I don't believe every commandment is as bad as the next either. It defies logic. Logic says that a killer is a lot more evil than a nice guy that curses sometimes. But not our modern God. Oh no, you're damned if you say one curse word! Give me a break.

^^Justice will be served if you curse HAHAHA^^

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Sin? No. Overrated? Yes. Overused? Yes.

Who doesn't like the occasional f*** or s**t face or assclown everynow and then? But seriously, overusing these words dumbs us down and decreases our vocabulary expo-fu**ing-nentially!

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It is not saying the words that is a sin. It is using them in such a way that does not reflect the love that should be in one's heart. (belittling someone, cursing someone, degrading someone, etc.)

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
When one uses curse words in his speech, others attention are drawn to those words, rather than the meaning of what you're saying.

One can be emphatic in speaking without peppering his conversation with debased language.

Women lose their attractiveness when out of their mouths come words which seem to have been spawned from a sewer, thus I believe ladies refrain from swearing as it is very unfeminine, and gentlemen do not curse.

Swearing is called cursing because one's forceful vehmenent swear words can curse others, and even statements like "I wish he'd drop dead" or "D _ _ _ him!" create a curse on others.

Get in the habit of using similar words which aren't offensive to express yourself, and use some humorous terms which can lighten up any heated argument.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
A word is a word. Swearings ok as long as your not disrepecting people. I swear around my peers because none of us see it as offensive and think a words a word, its the reaction that makes it cussing.

Some people get offended by the word damn (generally older people), others wouldnt... i think you just gotta pick how you talk around certain people (parents, work colleagues, kids, etc.) but i doubt its a sin... I'm not religious though so even if it was, it wouldnt phase me

new topics

top topics

join