It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien hunter retires after 35-year quest for E.T.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

That image sure puts things in perspective doesn't it? What an amazing image, even though it's an artists interpretation of what our galaxy may look like based on current data.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q33323
Biggest reason for SETI failure: Assuming ETs communication means and abilities are by any means similar to our own. A lot of people and institutions have invested time and financial resources into this project, but I knew it would be a dud from the start.

Do we attempt communication with fish? Do they have the ability to listen in on us, or comprehend life above the water-line? No, nein and nyet.

One thing that they did not realize when SETI started was that wide span radio communications trend to be for a very short period of time, about 50 to 100 years or so. When we look at communications today on earth not very much is finding its way into space like it did even a few decades ago. So looking at earth we will have about 100 years of signals with nothing before or after that time, and that means that when those signals hit another planet then the aliens there only have about 100 years to have equipment in place to receive it.

This sets up a rather thin band of time for us to get another planets signals, and so it would be like winning the lottery for their signals that lets say lasted 100 years actually get to us in a period that we could receive them too. I think some people assumed that once a civilization reached the point of radio communication that they would continue to transmit a large amount over very long time periods.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

When we look at communications today on earth not very much is finding its way into space like it did even a few decades ago.

How so? I'm curious as to why this might be? I would have thought that it was quite the opposite as most everything that is a communications device uses RF energy as it's means of connectivity? I'm an amateur radio operator and on a nightly basis I still resonate the ionosphere with a miniscule 2100 watts, lol.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko

How so? I'm curious as to why this might be? I would have thought that it was quite the opposite as most everything that is a communications device uses RF energy as it's means of connectivity? I'm an amateur radio operator and on a nightly basis I still resonate the ionosphere with a miniscule 2100 watts, lol.

Its all becoming very focused communication, satilites, cable etc. The level of Omnidirectional style communication is coming to an end.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
PROJECTS DOWN THE DRAIN!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join