It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapons-Grade Plutonium Ships 'On One-off Exercise'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
"Two ships bringing weapons-grade plutonium across the Atlantic towards the UK were ferrying the cargo as a one-off exercise, a United States government official said tonight.

The UK registered vessels Pacific Pintail and Pacific Teal were carrying the material for the US National Nuclear Security Administration.

The plutonium is being carried by vessels operated by the PNTL shipping company, whose main shareholder is British Nuclear Fuels ltd.

The ships are being tracked by environmentalists from Greenpeace, whose spokesman said tonight he understood the ships were around 24 hours from the Western Approaches.

NNSA spokesman Bryan Wilkes said from Washington DC tonight that the plutonium was being shipped across the Atlantic as a result of an agreement between the USA and Russia to dispose of N-weapons grade plutonium.

The plutonium was being sent to a nuclear re-processing plant at Cadarache in southern France � a facility not yet available in the USA.

Shaun Burnie, nuclear co-ordinator for Greenpeace International, said the shipment �did not need to happen�.

He added: �This is bomb material that cannot be, and should not be, treated as if you�re just handling bananas or something.�"

Weapons-Grade Plutonium Ships 'On One-off Exercise'

Click link above for full story...

[edit on 2004/9/30 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I didn�t realize there was already a thread about this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No one told me, so...
Might as well close this thread, I guess.

join