It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Resumes Construction of Light Water Reactor: Completion of Buildings May Be Near

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

After months of inactivity, North Korea has resumed work on its new experimental light water reactor (ELWR), which the DPRK claims is intended to help solve domestic energy shortages, but is also an important component in its effort to build nuclear weapons. Commercial satellite photography from April 30, 2012 reveals that Pyongyang is now close to completion of the reactor containment building. The next major step in construction will be loading the heavy components, such as the pressure vessel, steam generator, and pressurizer, likely through the cylindrical opening in the roof of the reactor containment building. That process could take 6-12 months to complete. Overall, it may take another 1-2 years before the new facility becomes operational.

38north.org...

North Korea has had many embargoes, many efforts to contain any nuclear program, whether for weapons or for nuclear power, yet I have not seen the extent of fear from the United States concerning North Korea's ambitions in this regard that we see in regard to open and transparent programs in countries such as Iran.

North Korea from these new satellite photos and analysis will be on their way by 2014 or 2015, devoid of inspections by any regulatory body and unimpeded in their progress toward nuclear energy. I wonder, does this bother people?

Honestly, what bothers me most is a lack of inspections, and the embargoes which led to less than ideal construction materials, rather than the desire for nuclear power.I would rather see the world safeguarding the safety of these reactors, rather than trying to all out stop them, or killing the people who want nuclear energy.
edit on 17-5-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

Hey hey hey, where is the USA in this case ? South Korea sure at unease about this, so are we gonna see mass naval movement to the that part of the world ? Lets see if they have oil....uh I guess not.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Jameela

Personally, I'm not terribly bothered by North Korea and if they don't settle down, the reason I'm not concerned will put them out of our Misery.

Unidentified North Koreans have detained 29 Chinese fishermen from three boats and are demanding payment for their release, Chinese media says.

They were seized on 8 May in the Yellow Sea between China and North Korea by a gunboat, said the Beijing News.
Source

If North Korea pushes too far, China will solve the problem before we have to and precisely because we'd be on our way if NK went too far. China's last desire is to see any more U.S. forces in East Asia and I have no doubt they'd do a little pruning in Pyongyang if that's all it would take to prevent the U.S. from having justification.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

HA! Why would the North Koreans be messing with the Chinese? Your right that is terribly suicidal!

It appears now after reading the entire link that there is a ransom demand and the North Korean government may not have anything to do with this, might be a fisherman's quarrel, and a get dead quick scheme.
edit on 17-5-2012 by Jameela because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
In regards to Iran, even the top Israeli officials have confirmed that Iran had not yet decided to build a bomb, but they cant be heard when Netanyahu is banging the war drums every day.

top topics

join