It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odierno: Army

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Odierno: Army 'Moving Toward' Opening Combat Arms to Women

www.defense.gov

By Karen Parrish
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, May 16, 2012 – Army leaders are asking whether -- and how -- to open infantry and armor ranks to women, the service’s senior soldier said today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5/16/2012 by danats because: headline error fix

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This is my first thread for news. I have read and heard a few things about this integration over the past months. This story came out today, so I thought I would pass it along to the ATS community.

I have mixed feelings about this issue, but I am a man, so my say in this does not really bare any weight on the issue. I am more interested to hear what women have to say about the issue, although military men are primarily in control of the "how" and "when" of the integration.

What are your thoughts and perspective on this change?

www.defense.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The most important consideration here, IMHO, is to make sure they provide adequate weight and strength training, in addition to the usual boot camp stuff. There are women out there who are inherently built like either Lucy Lawless or (in human proportions) my avatar, yes; who could simply go straight into the service and do fine.

Such women, however, are the minority; 10%, tops. The usual >5'5" woman who gets hit with the wrong end of sexual dimorphism, is going to need massive physical augmentation purely in order to survive, and probably more to prevent rape from within her own unit, than anything the enemy might do to her.

If women can bulk up enough, and can be taught martial arts which emphasise range and keeping an attacker at a distance, rather than close contact stuff, then maybe they can survive. Like I said, however, it's been shown that the biggest threat to women in the military is not going to be the recognised enemy; it's going to be men within the same force. Most women will likely have to prove themselves by beating up several male members of their own squad, before they are accepted.
edit on 16-5-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by danats

nice work on your first news thread

star n flag

i am not sure if we should celebrate the equality shown towards women,
or decry the ability to send women of to their deaths for oil profits opps i mean wars

xploder

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This was posted here earlier
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join