It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi, i really really need help identifying an old statue head

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jisujaaljo

lion is a door knocker, you can tell the metal that was used as the hammer and the plate where it struck were removed. Probably late 1800s or later.IMO untrained opinion.

OR, an oil lamp fixture.
edit on 14-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

haha, a clay obama with grass for hair.
allright, il try, its now in a bucket of water

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

been thinking knocker as well, but slate is so fragile so it seems weird to go through the hassle of carving it wich i belive is a real hard to do without breaking it, and the to use it as a knocker and further risk it breaking?

but the lamp holder could be something to look in to

thanks.
jimmy

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

Hi there buddy

here we go yet again

i know for a fact that as i said in the pm, the head is from the same home as the previous stuff.
what i wonder about is, what diety is it suposed to be, and where could it possibly be from.
i also wonder about how old it is and if there is a headless body for it somewhere out there in the world

since i am a blacksmith in real life i can clearly see that the headdress is dropforged and that the head it self is to some extent hand forged but casted as a whole.

the headdress is fused to the head in a way blacksmiths did in the old days before welding was invented.

the pearls in the headdress i dont think are original, at least not the big blue one, since it dont match the others.

oh, and crap is subjective

love you mate.
jimmy

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jisujaaljo

Alright, according to ebay that's a Tibetan bronze Buddah

www.ebay.com...

Yours is better quality than that but obviously same style and tradition, both could be copies of a famous original i'll have a check

Its also probably the female Buddah Goddess Tara...which is cool.

www.buddhamuseum.com...

There isn't much in it but i would also probably go with Nepalese rather than Tibetan, your example maybe a couple of hundred years old but that has to be uncertain.

i01.i.aliimg.com...

It could just have been a head but its possible it was sawn off a larger statue, look closely at the base see what you think.

edit on 15-12-2012 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2012 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

Yiiehaa

The return of the art historian

Haha i knew you would dig fast with this one

I have looked closely at the base and to me it looks like its been hammered quite a bit, but is it hammered to make sharp sawed edges round and smoth. Or is it hammered to make the casted edges soft and smoth, that i dont know.

But that dont matter really now that i know what it is

Haha, cool, female buddah tara in bronze. And for sertain at least 100 years old possibly older

Thank you friend

Now im out of crap that i dont know what it is.
At least for a while

Hmm, unless,,
You dont happen to know about african tribes do you?
Ive got an fairly large bowl from somewere in africa.
Its made out of some sort of animal poo, and painted with a pattern.
Ive been thinking about if it would be possible to trace its village by the help of the pattern,
What do you think, an hopless task, or could it be that each village has its own pattern and have had for generations, kind of like with the scottish kilts?
Hugs
Jimmy

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join