It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing help forums?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Forgive this new post. (mods feel free to move or delete if necessary)

I know there's the short story forums, and the literature forums.
I was wondering which one is appropriate to ask for writing advice etc. Or if there was one separate from it.

I've had threads moved, and I really don't want any black marks on my profile. So far i've been following the T&C guidelines strictly but tend to make mistakes here and there.
But aye, information would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kind Regards
-Risen

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

You dont get black marks on your ATS record for putting a thread in the wrong place. At least I hope not.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

In order to get access to the writting forums, you'll need a Super Mod or Admin to add the Writer status for you.

Please send a PM to Masqua who will look into getting it done for you.

In the meantime, you certainly can ask for writting assistance, however that would be better suited for BTS Literature forum or General Chit Chat etc..

The main writting forums are for short story entries and the subsquent discussion, which could lead into a how to better write, but you'd need a story to start with.

~Tenth

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

In order to get access to the writting forums, you'll need a Super Mod or Admin to add the Writer status for you.

Actually, you don't need writer status for the Short Stories forum. Just being a member is enough for that. It's only the Collaborative Writing forum that requires special status (obviously because efforts in there are for collaborators only
)

To improve writing skills, one only needs to practice writing more. Questions regarding writing skills do have a place in a recently posted thread which any member can go to.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Well then, call me a monkey's uncle

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'd prefer to call you Tarzan, if you don't mind.

(even if you did just get voted off of the island.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Tell me about it, lost that 20$ pool

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Was going to link to that thread, masqua, so thank you. Guess it pays to be a day late and a dollar short sometimes. Reminds me it needs some work.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Thanks everyone. Aye masqua is awesome. I pmed him before in the past when I asked him if he could edit a short story I entered a couple months back for a contest.

This isn't just about writing though. It's also about effectively communicating with people. I arrived at the conclusion after many missunderstandings and conflicts with others, that the main problem I have is lack to effectively communicate my thoughts or transfer my thoughts into proper format.

I do have some luck on some sentences, but it's like a roulette where i shoot blindly instead of wisely. I want to be a professional writer, and many experiences has taught me that I need to go back to basics and start over from zero.

@ masqua, do I have to pm you right now to ask for a writer status? Or can it be done through here?

Thanks everyone.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77
@ masqua, do I have to pm you right now to ask for a writer status? Or can it be done through here?

There are three ways in which the writer status is granted:

- By consistently adding interesting short stories or poems into the Short Story forum. As the back-to-back contests have proven to be such a success and a few members have consistently entered stories over the months, I'm considering giving them the status for their efforts even though they did not win.

- When invited to be involved in a collaborative effort in the closed forum. Normally, a group will, from time to time, look for new members to get involved. All it takes is a request (sent to me via pm) from the collaborators to give a member the status so that they can contribute.

- Winning one of the top three spots in a monthly writing contest. I hope to be able to continue doing this myself, plus there very well may be other story writing contests begun by other staffers.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Awesome, looking forward to it then. The short story option may be the best one, as it may help me improve by a large margin.

Thanks masqua

join