It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2000 birds found dead on Chile beaches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

2000 birds found dead on Chile beaches

www.rawstory.com...

SANTIAGO — About 2,000 birds were found dead on beaches in central Chile, a natural history museum director said Friday, accusing fishermen of snagging them in their nets and letting them drown. “It’s a horrible scene. They are spread across some six kilometers (four miles) of beach” around the coastal city of Santo Domingo, San Antonio natural history and archeology museum director Jose Luis Brito told UCV radio. Most of the birds are gray petrels, but there are also pelicans, gannets and Guanay cormorants. Brito accused fishermen of “doing nothing” when birds get caught up in their nets, and leaving them “to drown before throwing the bodies back into the sea.” The museum said it would file a complaint to police over the dead birds. About 100 bird carcasses were found on central beaches on Sunday. Thousands of dolphins and maritime birds, including many pelicans, have been found dead in neighboring Peru in recent weeks. Environmental groups blamed oil exploration work, but Peru’s deputy environment minister Gabriel Quijandria, disputed the claim and said warming waters, which disturbs food supplies, was a possible cause.

Yet another mass Bird death, Although I'm still skeptical about whether or not all the Mass animal deaths are connected in some way there is still either one or more reasons for such serious losses of wildlife

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I was reading yesterday night about that. They said the birds died when trapped by fisher boats nets. I don't know if they are trying to cover it up or not.

(Translation)

The researcher explained that the death occurred when these birds migrate to northern feeding time and jumped into the sea to catch anchovy, their food, but were caught in nets about 30 fishing boats that usually work in zone. The birds had sprains and bruises from having been caught in the nets, drowned and dead bodies were thrown overboard from the boats by fishermen and came to the beach, "said Brito.

www.laprensa.hn...

(Translation)

"The birds had sprains and bruises from having been caught in the nets, drowned, and then the bodies were thrown overboard from the boats by fishermen and reached the beach," said Brito.

www.latercera.com...
edit on 12-5-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
News report on it.
7300 dead birds and fish:

edit on 12/5/2012 by corporation because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Thanks for this information! I have been trying to keep up with this issue. Something has to be going on with the Water or Air that is killing animals.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
i don't buy the nets theory. mass die offs have become relatively commonplace in recent times. earth changes are a potential cause(?)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by corporation

The guy in the video also found hard to believe the birds were killed by the nets. He is right when he said the boats had been fishing in the same way for years without this concecuences.

I started to sense a possible conspiracy. All these pelicans and dolphins have no commercial value, killing them will assure an overpopulation of "anchoveta" (peruvian anchovy), which is the most important fish in Peru, used almost entirely to produce fish meal and oil for export. About 90% of it is exported, tax free.

www.siicex.gob.pe...

Also, the anchoveta is the main food of other commercially important species such as bass, tuna and mackerel. These species have equal importance in Chile.

Just think about it.

NOTE : It really piss me off the stupid girl laughing at the end of the video, what's so funny about it?

UPDATE :

About the advantages of an anchoveta overpopulation :

The ever-growing demand for fish and fish oil due to their omega-3 fatty acids has led to exponential growth in the aquaculture industry—and depletion of the world's oceans. While aquaculture is farmed fish, the fish are fed with wild marine species.

In a paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences researchers announced that from 1995 to 2007 global production of farmed fish nearly tripled. This year the industry is set to reach a new landmark: aquaculture will account for 50 percent of the fish consumed globally...

www.oceansentry.org...

UPDATE :

About fish oil, here some vital info, please read. Seems all these was previously calculated. Even if the article mostly mentions Peru, the info is absolutely valid for Chile, as you will see.

Fish oil prices move up again

World fish oil production is declining despite higher Peruvian production. Prices increased in the course of 2009, but without reaching the peaks of mid 2008. Demand for fish oil is strong on the world market, and further price increases are likely in coming months.

Following "El Niño" is now a key for good investments.

The Peruvian industry is expecting an El Niño year in 2010, which will lead to lower fish oil outputs. Production is also forecast to decline in other producing countries, which will lead to a supply shortage. On the contrary, demand continues to be strong and thus prices are likely to move up even further.

Finally, here some charts about fish oil exports in both countries, Chile and Peru :

www.globefish.org...

Again....think about it.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
This story seems to be related, and refers to, the Peru deaths discussed in this thread started May 9:

Peru says 5,000 birds, nearly 900 dolphins dead

Because of that, I'm going to close this one and refer members to the other thread for further discussion. Alas that we can't merge threads, and apologies to all members affected for the hassle.

As always, if anyone disagrees with this action, please don't hesitate to send me a private message.

Edit to add: There has been a great deal of effort put into many of the posts in this thread. I invite anyone who would like to repost them in the other thread to do so with my regards, including the OP. If your edit button is timed out and you need a copy of the post source, please send me a PM with a link to the post(s) and I'll be happy to send you a copy. Sort of a manual merge, if you will, but better than having your contributions cut off and overlooked.

NOTE: I'm pretty busy today, but will try not to leave anyone hanging wherever possible. If I prove to be too slow on the draw, please feel free to alert the post you want a copy of, and it shouldn't be a problem.

edit on 5/12/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join