It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Madrid Seismic Zone activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Looks like this area is becoming more and more active. Judging by all the threads popping up of a large quake happening soon within this month, This area might be the one.
( I really hope everyone is wrong and nothing but just small quakes happen as in 3.5 and down)

I'm not taking any chances and i am keeping my eyes and ears open for any activity.

Current activity near the Seismic Zone

Date-Time

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 15:45:55 UTC
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 at 10:45:55 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Magnitude 2.5
Location 35.304°N, 92.046°W
Depth 0.1 km (~0.1 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region ARKANSAS

Magnitude: 3.9
DateTime: Thursday May 10 2012, 15:15:40 UTC
Region: eastern Texas
Depth: 13 km
Source: USGS Feed

Magnitude: 3.9
DateTime: Thursday May 10 2012, 21:14:31 UTC
Region: Oklahoma
Depth: 6.8 km

Magnitude: 3.1
DateTime: Thursday May 10 2012, 22:54:05 UTC
Region: Indiana
Depth: 9.9 km

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

For all information being discussed in this forum here is the Quake watch thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: info

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: more info

edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: more info

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I keep my eye on that region as well. Isn't that the fault that's more close to the surface than others? Meaning it can do more damage than a similar quake of the same mag.?

Large populations + The Big Muddy + 8.0 = ............not good.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
I keep my eye on that region as well. Isn't that the fault that's more close to the surface than others? Meaning it can do more damage than a similar quake of the same mag.?

Yes it is and yes it would cause lots of damage .

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I am keeping my eyes and ears open as well. I practically live on top of this thing in SE Missouri. Haven't felt anything yet, but keep seeing the new activity popping up.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Just for you to ponder over,the average "behavior" of the NMSZ.

www.dnr.mo.gov...

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Interesting uptick in activity today. I slept horribly last night and kept waking up, couldn't figure out why. Hope she quiets down.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks kdog1982! Interesting read.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I live in NW Missouri but still fairly concerned with the New Madrid.

My husband works for Missouri's DOT. When he hired on he was told that if the New Madrid ever goes every employee, no matter what time it is or where they might be, are required to come in to work and head down to the area immediately.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Due to the harder, colder, drier and less fractured nature of the rocks in the earth’s crust in the central United States, earthquakes in this region shake and damage an area far greater than earthquakes in California and most other active seismic areas.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Glad I moved from that area...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I took a look at the USGS a second ago, and I was a bit surprised to see so many quakes within a few days in the New Madrid Seismic Zone.

A few in Oklahoma, Indiana, Missouri, and Texas....all we need is a significant size, maybe 4.0 or so in Arkansas and Memphis and it might be time to high tail it.....

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Yes, the more shallow the quake the more damage. You also need to consider the amount of infrastructure that crosses the Mississippi at the points above and below the New Madrid region. A NME (New Madrid Event) will damage the powerlines that cross the river, creating havoc with the East Grid (East Coast to the Rockies, excluding Texas), not to mention the interstate system and gas lines. Such an event would have far reaching consequences for the entire US.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I live in indiana did not feel the qauke. or the others but looking at the maps of damage areas for a big one are we in indianapolis in for a major shock/damage?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakedog76
reply to post by dreamfox1

I live in indiana did not feel the qauke. or the others but looking at the maps of damage areas for a big one are we in indianapolis in for a major shock/damage?

Answer is maybe but i really hope everything just calms down and nothing happens.....

top topics

join