It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. bobsledder leaves to team to try to join US Special Forces...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I just read this story on ESPN and I gotta say I definitely admire this kid for what he is doing. The story is about a kid name John Napier, a young man (25 years old), who is giving up on being apart of the Mens US Bobsledding team, to join up with another team, the US Special Forces.

From the article it says that, The 25-year-old Napier, a sergeant in the Vermont National Guard, volunteered for a five-month tour in Afghanistan after competing in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics and was deeply affected by it. Napier, a native of Schenectady, N.Y., will try to join a special operations unit in the U.S. Army or the U.S. Navy, according to the (Albany) Times Union. He had to lobby the military to be allowed to join his unit in Afghanistan, where he served in the infantry and saw combat, according to the report.

Napier stated

"After Afghanistan, I had a lot of rational and irrational ideas about sport," Napier said, according to the Times Union. "I never got the taste of selflessness that I did in Afghanistan. There is not a morning that I don't wake up and miss it."

What I like about this story is that this kid has the chance to compete on the world stage in the winter olympics, he has the chance to be a "national" hero in sports, but he is giving up those dreams to now live another, where he can be a TRUE national hero... This story reminds me of Pat Tillman, not his questionable death, but Tillman was a NFL player who was making millions of dollars but gave that all up to fight with the special forces once the US went to war... I wish this kid all the best and I love reading a story like this...

espn.go.com...
edit on 8-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I look forward to hearing more about this guy down the road... I'm curious to read how his military story ends...
edit on 8-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

join