It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Home bags

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
In a crisis, my goals are:

1. survive the immediate crisis (shock-wave, fire, dust cloud, etc).

2. Shelter in place until I can risk going home to my family-group (which includes neighbors, friends, and children and elderly who will be brought to my residence)

3. Travel home to meet up with my people.

I have some supplies in my workplace, where they are unnoticed / unremarkable, including the water jugs for the water coolers in the workplace. Since most workers bring their own lunches, it is acceptable for me to store food in my locker, even if the amount is quite large--30 to 40 meals!

I have a GH kit in my vehicle; it fits in with the culture at work for me to keep fishing/camping gear in my vehicle. I also have a firearm and a backpack. I would end up assembling a get-home bag from components of my sporting gear, if the vehicle became inoperable.

I have several routes home mapped out, which would take me through safe neighborhoods. Most of it is corporate office parks; there would probably a low incidence of mayhem for the first few hours in this area, since most people would be leaving rather than traversing the area. While many workers rely on mass transit, I cannot due to my route. In any event, most other workers would be trying to make it to a transit station, while I can choose from multiple low-speed low density drives home.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
i guess some people like to feel like action hero's. a 'get home bag'? you guy's crack me up.
you might aswell make yourselves a utility belt, atleast then you can pretend your a superhero.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
i guess some people like to feel like action hero's. a 'get home bag'? you guy's crack me up.
you might aswell make yourselves a utility belt, atleast then you can pretend your a superhero.

Do you have a spare tire in your car's trunk? Why?

Do you think you're McGuyver?

Do you keep food in your house? WHat the hell for? Support the economy and dine out!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

Well if you think we're stupid then why bother reading the post? have to say I don't think it's stupid to be prepared.. even if nothing ever happened, least I'll have a decent camping setup.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The kit in my car has come together based more on my hobbies (hunting and fishing) and my experience (vehicle breakdowns on country roads) than on any supposed fear of calamity.

If you have active sports or hobbies, a small to medium first aid kit in the car just makes sense. Not because of survival, but having it improves the quality of the "good times"

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's 7am on friday. You tune on the radio in your car. News is hitting the globe about Fukishima #4 reactor pools going down.

You need to get home to die with your loved ones.

As creepy as it seems, I feel people are bugging out about the wrong things these days. The magnitude of Fukishima is staggering g, and unlike anything in human history.

How do you prepare for that?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but it's pissing me off people talking about volcano bobs, or fn zombie bobs, or global market collapse bobs.

Open your eyes people.

Eta: my open your eyes comment was probably a bit too harsh. All I'm saying is people here on ATS are preparing for the wrong thing.

edit on 10-5-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Not trying to hijack the thread, but it's pissing me off people talking about volcano bobs, or fn zombie bobs, or global market collapse bobs.

Open your eyes people.

It's pissing you off because other people are.....talking about things you deem irrelevant?

I didn't realize you were the ATS People's Kommisar for Pertinance.

It should probably be marked on your avatar with a badge or something.

I am old enough to remember Chernobyl, and to have worked with people who were exposed to it before being evacuated. Fukishima Daiichi is estimated to be about 10% of the potency of Chernobyl, from what I've read. If the official numbers are wrong, start or link to an ATS thread detailing the facts--it IS a conspiracy website after all.

Some of us 40-year-olds probably don't get as excited about radioactive iodine in our environment, since statistically we will die from "pre-existing cancers" before I-131 can kill us effectively.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
It's 7am on friday. You tune on the radio in your car. News is hitting the globe about Fukishima #4 reactor pools going down.

You need to get home to die with your loved ones.

As creepy as it seems, I feel people are bugging out about the wrong things these days. The magnitude of Fukishima is staggering g, and unlike anything in human history.

How do you prepare for that?

Open your eyes people.

Eta: my open your eyes comment was probably a bit too harsh. All I'm saying is people here on ATS are preparing for the wrong thing.

edit on 10-5-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

So since there is a possibility that we may all die due to radiation, we should just stop all preparations for everything? Not to mention that this is a discussion about getting home in an emergency - not bugging out. I carry extra cash, water, snacks, first aid kit, a multi tool, a decent pocket knife as well as some other survival items "just in case" on my person and in my car. If I break down in my car in a remote area with a dead cell phone battery, I will want some of these items to help me get home and be prepared for whatever on the way - whether I need to set up a spot to camp for the night or I need protection from animals or asshats. Or pay someone for a ride. I plan on getting home, not bugging out. I also have a 401k - should I just cash it out because we all might die from radiation? Or does being prepared just mean that I fancy myself as some "superhero" like the other obviously unprepared and pampered by mommy person said?

Sheesh - I really can't fathom what kind of feeble mind mocks people who are taking steps to be prepared for whatever emergency and to take care of themselves. I guess while most of you are waiting around for either the government to save you or the radiation to kill you, the apparently few of us who prepare will be fine.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join