It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Accountability for Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
No Accountability for Torture

As an official in the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel from 2001 to 2003, Yoo wrote multiple memos designed to deny “enemy combatants” legal protections that might get in the way of our holding them incommunicado, depriving them of sleep, slamming them into walls, forcing them into painful stress positions, and waterboarding them. Padilla alleged that Yoo’s memos provided the basis for his years in detention, of which twenty-one months were in incommunicado isolation, and authorized his captors to subject him to abuse. As a result, he claims, he was threatened with death and serious physical abuse; shackled in painful stress positions for hours at a time; administered psychotropic drugs; denied medical care; and exposed to extreme temperatures.

The court dismissed the case before the truth of these allegations could be tested. It reasoned that even if Padilla’s allegations were true, it was not “clearly established” that his treatment violated the Constitution, and therefore the suit must be dismissed. John Yoo could not even be sued for the nominal damages of one dollar that Padilla and his mother sought as a way of emphasizing that their desire was for vindication of their rights, not remuneration.

It's not clearly established that his treatment violated the Constitution ?

So they detain this guy and torture him for three and a half years. And he can't even sue anybody because it's not clear that the constitution was violated. I wonder if people notice that something is wrong in America?

I would not believe it 10 years a go, but now I just wonder what's coming next.
edit on 7-5-2012 by maxella1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

padilla and his family needs to stop wasting time
AND money in the courts[they'll find no justice there]

and buy some justice.

when yoo and others of his type
start mysteriously winding up next to jimmy hoffa...

then there will be accountability

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

padilla and his family needs to stop wasting time
AND money in the courts[they'll find no justice there]

and buy some justice.

when yoo and others of his type
start mysteriously winding up next to jimmy hoffa...

then there will be accountability

It would be wrong to agree with you....

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Ah, yes: The Constitution. I believe I have heard references to this quaint, outmoded document. Some old yellowed piece of paper, as I recall....

top topics

join