It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Zodiac

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
During the 1960's and 1970's the state of California was besieged by terror as a unknown killer raged through victims and taunted the police and media with a series of puzzling detailed letters, cards and cryptograms... Many were sent, 18 at least, to officers, media and private citizens, including four cyphers of which the serial killer self addressed as 'Zodiac' stated held his identity once solved.

Code crackers, analysts, the police force even people sat at home reading the newspapers attempted to crack these boggling ciphers which could help uncover the identity of the Zodiac who had brutally murdered/attacked seven confirmed victims and five suspected although not confirmed victims (though in the letters received the killer claimed 37 murders)... One code (the first) was cracked in 1968 by a local man and his wife, the code was eerily disturbing to say the least and did not reveal the identity of the Zodiac, although the last 18 letters of the code were not able to be determined.

Despite claims in July of last year from an amateur code breaker, that he had deciphered one of the Zodiac codes which revealed Arthur Leigh Allen (see below) to be the Zodiac killer, to this day that 408 symbol cipher solved in 1968 is the only one of the Zodiac's cryptograms to be definitavely solved and the identity of the serial killer that rampaged through the streets of California is yet to be discovered and more interestingly the remaining three seemingly impossible ciphers and messages have yet to be solved.

[Arthur Leigh Allen was repeatedly interrogated by police throughout and after the live investigation as a prime suspect, however he was cleared through handwriting analysis, DNA profiling and polygraph results. Was he the Zodiac? Many believe, still to this day that despite his clearing from the investigation that he was.]

I came across the Zodiac Killer through my girlfriend who is a criminology and forensic psychology student, she is some would say obsessed with things like this and frequently tells me about cases both past and present, all of which are highly interesting, however this case although not a conspiracy as such, the Zodiac codes interest me highly as I hope they do to whoever reads this that hasn't already been intrigued by these seemingly uncrackable man made codes especially in this day and age as one would think if a code were created by man then it can be solved by man!!

Has any of ATS had an attempt at these codes themselves or is just interested in the unsolved case itself as I am?

[links]

zodiackiller.com...

Three part 1969 cipher SOLVED (apart from last 18 symbols)
www.zodiackiller.com...
www.zodiackiller.com...
www.zodiackiller.com...

UNSOLVED
www.zodiackiller.com...

UNSOLVED
www.zodiackiller.com...

Detailed breakdowns of the ciphers -
www.zodiologists.com...
www.zodiologists.com...
www.zodiologists.com...
www.zodiologists.com...

Amateur code cracking claim -
www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.i-programmer.info...

Zodiac time line and case file -
www.trutv.com...

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The most plausible explanation was that it was someone who could-disappear soon after the killing was performed, a trucker, airline employee, seaman etc etc with possibly a second person performing the encryption and media games

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Heres a great thread on it......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
If anyone here wants to learn more about the ciphers of the Zodiac killer, this site might be of interest to you:

zodiackillerciphers.com

There you will find a great deal of the latest information about the ciphers and the efforts to solve them.

top topics

join