It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aircraft With Something Like An Antenna On Top?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I wanted to ask if anyone knows of an aircraft that has an antenna (or something like it) on top of it. One flew over my house very low today, and I have never seen anything like it.

It looked like this but the top was white, and the top part was a bit taller.

Thanks in advance, NRE.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

yes , normal, it controls others , even troops on ground, but low over your house?

edit on 1-5-2012 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Its a radar craft...google it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Was an Awacs. en.wikipedia.org...

Gs

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
As stated above, it sounds like an AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System)....

edit on 1-5-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GermanShep

Yes that was it, thanks again

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Anything like this....

Some info on this AC...

www.thesun.co.uk...

Des

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Yes that is what I saw, I am looking into why it would be around here. Making sure its just a drill.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
reply to post by Destinyone

Yes that is what I saw, I am looking into why it would be around here. Making sure its just a drill.

Peace, NRE.

I guess you could call your local airport control tower, they may be able to give you some info. If there are training flights happening, they should have been notified.

Des

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
I wanted to ask if anyone knows of an aircraft that has an antenna (or something like it) on top of it. One flew over my house very low today, and I have never seen anything like it.

It looked like this but the top was white, and the top part was a bit taller.

Thanks in advance, NRE.

Where do you live? I use to work on those.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Depending on where you live, the AWACS planes can be a regular sight. Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma City was the base for a number of those planes working Homeland Security and before that, Gulf drug interdiction flights. As a trucker in Missouri, always running to the west coast and back, I got to see these on a fairly regular basis coming in and out of OKC as I went through a couple times a week. They are distinct, aren't they? No mistaking an AWACS plane.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

They are distinct. I see aircraft all the time, but never this one in the 8 yrs I have lived in mid Missouri. I will keep an eye out, and try to get a pic. I live in a very rural area, and whenever a plane that doesn't want to be seen comes by it comes through here.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the help

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Where do you live/see it?

The E-3 Sentry AWACS fleet is based at Tinker Air Force Base just SE of Oklahoma City. They are under the command of the 552nd Air Control Wing. The modified Boeing 707 is used for air battle management for the US and Allies. In addition, European Union and Saudi E-3's fly to OKC for training and maintenance as Tinker also houses all the training, maintanence and support for the E-3.

I live just outside OKC, so I see them flying pretty much every day. Which is why I asked where you saw it?

The E3s commonly deploy to Nellis AFB in Nevada to take part in Red and Green Flag air warfare games. They also rotate in and out of Saudi Arabia/mid east to provide survelliance over the Persian Gulf. They deploy elsewhere as needed.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
interesting

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

E-3s are somewhat uncommon in Missouri - but you'll see a few of them on altered flight paths as the fly in for static displays at air shows - such as Wings Over Whiteman or the air show at Scott AFB in Illinois.

There are other reasons one may have been around - equipment failure could have forced them to land at a non-military installation, for example. There was an instance a few decades ago when an F-4 Phantom II made an emergency landing in my home town of Sullivan, MO (though that was when McDonnell Douglas used to fly a lot of aircraft over the Meramec region).

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

top topics

join