It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scar Tissue Turned Into Heart Muscle Without Using Stem Cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

ScienceDaily (Apr. 26, 2012) — Scientists at Duke University Medical Center have shown the ability to turn scar tissue that forms after a heart attack into heart muscle cells using a new process that eliminates the need for stem cell transplant.

"This is a significant finding with many therapeutic implications," said Victor J. Dzau, MD, a senior author on the study who is James B. Duke professor of medicine and chancellor of health affairs at Duke University. "If you can do this in the heart, you can do it in the brain, the kidneys, and other tissues. This is a whole new way of regenerating tissue."

Science Daily

Well, this is good news! They have succeeded in transforming scar tissue into heart muscle in a mice, using MicroRNA's which controls the activity of genes. MicroRNA's do this by reprogramming the scar tissue to become cells that resemble cardiomyocytes (heart tissue).

I am no scientist, but this sure is a good development. Without the use of stem cells there are no genetic alternations and no ethical issues either, and considering there are so many people suffering from heart problems this sure is a hope giving find. Not to mention the ability to do this to other organs as well!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 1lluminatus

I think they used silver needles or instrument. Nobel-Prized winner Dr. Robert O. Becker showed that with a special silver instrument, he was able to grow back a small organ or limb.
And yep, that is good news. I think they had to do something weird to have stem cells?
edit on 27-4-2012 by starheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1lluminatus

"This is a significant finding with many therapeutic implications," said Victor J. Dzau, MD, a senior author on the study who is James B. Duke professor of medicine and chancellor of health affairs at Duke University. "If you can do this in the heart, you can do it in the brain, the kidneys, and other tissues. This is a whole new way of regenerating tissue."

It is amazing that mankind has this ability. But is this more cost effecient than reanimating organs with stemcells? To my understanding there has also been a lot of breakthroughs in that field over the past few years, so I am not sure if this is just a better alternative because you avoid some of the controversies attached to stemcells?

Either way, I am the only one who finds it a bit odd that the same science could be applied to the brain? I mean, the brain is a lot more complex than a muscle and I do not see how you would be able to repair a brian by just growing more brian.

(added later)
I guess that if the presence of the scar tissue alone can cause damage or other problems in the brian, I can understand the application of it.
edit on 26/06/87 by Mads1987 because: Thought a bit about my own question..

new topics

join