It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does dogs do it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
We all have noticed how dogs can just fall asleep so quickly, and sleep deeply. The next moment, they jump up like they never slept, bark a bit, run around, then promptly, fall asleep again, into a deep sleep.

How can they do this? I wish I could fall asleep and wake up like my dog does. It would be so good to just get a quick power nap in, and wake up like I did not even sleep.

Imagine being able to just close your eyes and instantly fall asleep, yet we take quite a while to actually fall asleep.

Its a dogs life I guess.

vvv

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Sleep in mammals is correlated to the size of the mammal. The smaller ones generally need much more sleep. This applies to children also.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Smaller ones need more sleep?

I got a great dane that is almost 2 years old, and man, he loves to sleep. We also have 2 Jack Russels and a Border Collie, and they also love to sleep.

To be honest, the jack russels probably sleep less than the dane! lol

vvv

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

I think it's a matter of how inactive pets are compared to us. Well, generally speaking that is. Your pooch doesn't do much outside of prancing around and eating (even if you take him on walks). You, however, are probably constantly doing something or another. Even when you are not doing much of anything, it's more than likely that you only get to "do nothing" for 4 hours of the work day. And most of us poor sobs get to spend part of our weekends doing crap we couldn't do during the week.

It's simply because you dog is care free. He doesn't have to work, stress over bills or find his own dinner. And since he can't really enjoy anything else but running, barking, and chewing on something he has not option but to lay down and pass out.

You could do it too, but you'd actually have to work at that, too. You're too wired for working. I imagine you wake up before your alarm goes off...( wild guess
)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

I do indeed wake before my alarm sounds.

Also, what you are saying makes sense. Maybe I should try it one day, to be like my dog, and do nothing. This way I will see if I can emulate that instant falling asleep technique they have.

vvv

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Maybe human children need more sleep. Babies need the most sleep, teenagers need more sleep than adults.

You do realize that a German Shepherd would roughly be the same size as a full grown human male (on its legs) and could weigh more, even at a healthy weight.

edit on 25-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by Inquisitive1

I do indeed wake before my alarm sounds.

Also, what you are saying makes sense. Maybe I should try it one day, to be like my dog, and do nothing. This way I will see if I can emulate that instant falling asleep technique they have.

vvv

I don't think it will be such an easy change, and if your anything like me literally doing nothing would dive you insane with boredom. Still, there's things I've discovered help me. Like early morning TV (not news - that just pisses me off), and chocolate milk..

You'll figure out what works best for you if you haven't already. I highly suggest listening to someone speaking in slow monotone about crap you don't care about.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
"How Do Dogs Do It?"

That's easy... they do it doggie style!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

It's because, dogs, and most animals I guess don't sleep as deep as we do. They are much alerter when they sleep compared to us, you often see them even putting one ear up while they sleep if they hear something.

I think it's just a natural defense mechanism that is more needed for animals than humans. Plus our brains are much more complex so we need the deep sleep to restore it.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Because they're dumb.

But I just mean that compared to human beings - I am a huge dog lover with two great yellow labs (very smart dogs btw) But their brains are just not as complex as a human being's. Plus, as was mentioned earlier, they have very little to worry and fret over to keep their mind racing during normal sleeping hours

top topics

join