It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Tests GPS Monitoring System for Big U.S. Quakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

April 24, 2012

PASADENA, Calif. - The space-based technology that lets GPS-equipped motorists constantly update their precise location will undergo a major test of its ability to rapidly pinpoint the location and magnitude of strong earthquakes across the western United States. Results from the new Real-time Earthquake Analysis for Disaster (READI) Mitigation Network soon could be used to assist prompt disaster response and more accurate tsunami warnings.

Source: NASA: Jet Propulsion Laboratory

There is a bunch more to read in that article so do please go to it and have a mull over it. This is not an earthquake prediction, which is a bit of a shame but I guess that is still a pipe dream for the future.

"By using GPS to measure ground deformation from large earthquakes, we can reduce the time needed to locate and characterize the damage from large seismic events to several minutes," said Yehuda Bock, director of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography's Orbit and Permanent Array Center in La Jolla, Calif. "We now are poised to fully test the prototype system this year."

Since the US is not exactly prone to large earthquakes, and this is a satellite based system, one would hope that it will be rapidly extended to cover the Pacific Basin, but I see this as a supplement to the seismological side of the determinations. From historical records and via PAGER it is possible to get a fairly rapid estimate of potential damage. Maybe the benefit of this system will be to refine that estimate since there are occasions when the PAGER alerts are way off.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Wow, very interesting. When the mega quake hits, my family will only have to wait minutes for assistance instead of scrambling around for months trying to find food and shelter!

I hope..

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Yeah you hope. I wonder if in fact it will make any difference. They will probably be rushing around panicking just the same as everyone else!

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

will undergo a major test of its ability to rapidly pinpoint the location and magnitude of strong earthquakes across the western United States

Do They know more than they are letting on (no, not Them)???? I read the article and is does not explain how they are going to "test" "pinpoin" the location and magnitude of a strong earthquake...

Sounds like a heads up to me.. Disclaimer
edit on 25-4-2012 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

does not explain how they are going to "test" "pinpoint" the location and magnitude of a strong earthquake...

Maybe they will just have to create one first

HAARP anyone?

Do not dare anyone. I was NOT being serious!

I gather it is to do with sudden lift so if they can be extremely accurate, and know where to look, it is possible that a controlled explosion in a wilderness area could simulate the uplift maybe possible guessing.

Somewhere in the Catskill Mountains perhaps? No one lives out there do they?

edit on 25/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Maybe like any good business, they already have,,,
u know
would not want too have anything
too go wrong,,when made public.

Maybe those sounds,,,everyone is hearing,,,
are from places where a little fine tuning of the MHZ,,,
was needed.?
I assume radar type of PING! being used? or a steady,, harmonal,, Frequiency..?
don't know,,
just a wild guess.

Me.

top topics

join